Sosua safety

ct2830

Jun 6, 2009
Preamble: I have done a search for safety and Sosua, and Sosua safety prior to writing this thread.

I am currently in the process of researching the DR for a potential home 5 yrs from now. I would like to know a couple of things specifically that I have not read yet in my searches on these forums. Forgive me if I had missed this information many times.

1. What would you say is the percentage of expats being robbed or having their homes invaded? I get the sense from my reading that it is 90%, with multiple home invasions throughout years living there being a normal thing.

2. What about in Sosua? Is this area hit harder because it is sort of more wealthy? Or is it held more secure with $$ than other parts of the DR? Are there more secure parts of Sosua than other parts of Sosua? I assume yes, but I just have to ask.

I am looking to buy a ~$350,000 USD home in Sosua, and everything looks very nice, but I'm still wondering the probabilities of being robbed or invaded in a neighborhood with houses priced in that range (higher or lower probability?). I know if I were a thief I'd look to the rich sections to rob, not in my home streets. So if I were to guess, these are the areas that are hit hard by criminals, but then again, I would also guess that $$ could buy protection in the form of private security...but again I've read that these guards can often be in on the criminal side of things as well...

Also, if you have any suggestions about comparative island living, let me know. For instance do you know of islands that are significantly safer than the DR, perhaps they are more expensive too?

P.S. some background info: I've lived in ghettos and in mansions, and in mansions close to ghettos etc, really experienced the whole range of poor to rich living. I've also been robbed / burglarized, and I've also defended my property with a sledgehammer, as it was the only thing on hand at the moment. I am safety conscious and enjoy setting up a secure home etc.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I would say that new build houses probably attract more attention and will have newer things in them - I suppose you should always look at security with a view to how to minimise potential problems

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Preamble: I have done a search for safety and Sosua, and Sosua safety prior to writing this thread.

I am currently in the process of researching the DR for a potential home 5 yrs from now. I would like to know a couple of things specifically that I have not read yet in my searches on these forums. Forgive me if I had missed this information many times.

1. What would you say is the percentage of expats being robbed or having their homes invaded? I get the sense from my reading that it is 90%, with multiple home invasions throughout years living there being a normal thing.

2. What about in Sosua? Is this area hit harder because it is sort of more wealthy? Or is it held more secure with $$ than other parts of the DR? Are there more secure parts of Sosua than other parts of Sosua? I assume yes, but I just have to ask.

I am looking to buy a ~$350,000 USD home in Sosua, and everything looks very nice, but I'm still wondering the probabilities of being robbed or invaded in a neighborhood with houses priced in that range (higher or lower probability?). I know if I were a thief I'd look to the rich sections to rob, not in my home streets. So if I were to guess, these are the areas that are hit hard by criminals, but then again, I would also guess that $$ could buy protection in the form of private security...but again I've read that these guards can often be in on the criminal side of things as well...

Also, if you have any suggestions about comparative island living, let me know. For instance do you know of islands that are significantly safer than the DR, perhaps they are more expensive too?

P.S. some background info: I've lived in ghettos and in mansions, and in mansions close to ghettos etc, really experienced the whole range of poor to rich living. I've also been robbed / burglarized, and I've also defended my property with a sledgehammer, as it was the only thing on hand at the moment. I am safety conscious and enjoy setting up a secure home etc.

stay away from tourist areas. time bomb.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We have lived in Sosua for 8 years, several of them spent in a higher end new construction house in a gated community at about your price range. We have never been robbed.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

I don't know anyone who could accurately answer this because many incidents never make it to the papers, radio or TV. 90% sounds waaaay too high to me & I don't think multiple invasions is the norm at all, unless the person is being targeted for completely different reasons.

I can tell you my experience of 16+ years here on the north coast. I don't live in Sosua. During that 16+ years a Dominican flag we had on the outside of our house when living in the centre of town, was taken the night before an election - I think of it as 'borrowed & they forgot to return it'. The adjacent UK flag remained untouched. The second incident was when I had a jeep with a soft top parked outside the house in the street - the soft top got taken. The third incident was when I discovered an unknown woman who got into the house (again the house in the centre of town) & was rifling through my jewellery. Self, partner & dogs dealt with this ourselves, didn't report to police. I won't elaborate but that was the last uninvited visitor we ever had at that house. That's it, total history, for 16 years. The woman, btw, was not armed but I didn't know that for sure until I searched her.

Just stay away from areas with an overhigh population of foreigners and a poor history. If I were to speculate I would say Punta Cana has far fewer problems than Sosua, for example. But then some parts of Sosua have a far better reputation than other parts of Sosua. I'll let the Sosua residents elaborate on those.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
since there are no real stats, my answers are simply based on personal observation

1. What would you say is the percentage of expats being robbed or having their homes invaded? Depends on area, and that can vary by neighboring developments... free standing homes seem to have more problems than condos, but that by no means is to indicate that all or most individual homes experience problems. Overall % of expats here that have personally experienced a home robbery/burglary... I'd 'guess' less than 5%. Probably significantly less.

2. What about in Sosua? Are there more secure parts of Sosua than other parts of Sosua? Yes, Sea Horse Ranch could arguably be considered more secure based on reported events than the La Mulata area, for example.

I am looking to buy a ~$350,000 USD home in Sosua, and everything looks very nice, but I'm still wondering the probabilities of being robbed or invaded in a neighborhood with houses priced in that range (higher or lower probability?). I know if I were a thief I'd look to the rich sections to rob, not in my home streets. criminals look for opportunity... i'd hazard to say the contents of a $90,000 home & a $500,000 home are just as attractive to a common thief. A $1 million dollar penthouse condo on Cabarete bay is less likely to have a robbery than a $250/month rental studio in ProCab. The one he thinks he can get in and out of is the most attractive.

as is the usual advice, with rentals readily available & reasonably priced, there's little reason to rush into a purchase. move, rent, enjoy, learn... and then with your knowledge you can decide on a property that you're comfortable with (or decide not to purchase at all)... much better than investing in an area based on my advice or that of others.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
........and people in some areas are better at reporting incidences...so it may appear that there is more crime in certain areas lol

Do we feel a poll coming on of who has been invaded since moving here- I had some oranges taken once,but ive only been here two years

Mar 2, 2008
In my opinion, there is no greater probability of being robbed in Sosua than any other city in the DR. Crime is a concern throughout the country, but thus far, it is not unmanageable.

It is my perception that the smaller towns located toward the center of the island might have less crime, but I doubt you will find any data proving that one way or the other. As Lambada stated, the actual statistics are iffy, or nonexistent. Again, in my opinion, I think it is a good idea to pick the place you want to live, and take the same security measures regardless of the location.

A crook is a crook, and these days, they are increasingly mobile and very well-informed about where the money is.

No matter where you live, Sosua and every other location included, you will have to take precautions. Get a good security system, have multiple layers of protection with redundant back-up, and develop your own safety plan.

In general, and no matter where you live, the more wealth you display the greater the risk of being robbed. Tone it down a notch, don't flaunt your money or expensive jewelry, or any other costly items. Remain vigilant and aware of your surroundings. Make sure you Know the people you invite into your home, and be particularly mindful of any help you have working for you.

Basically, use the same common sense precautions everywhere.

ct2830

Jun 6, 2009
Thanks for the responses. I do intend to vacation in the DR for a couple of weeks in the next 2 yrs, and then probably rent for a few months a year for the following 2 yrs. If all is well then I would definitely be searching for a home or condo for a more permanent presence there. But I keep my options open as always. But hearing from people with experience there already gives me some idea of what to expect and where to expect it in my travels and researching where I want to live.