Tap Water

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I bought red leaf lettuce at Playero and proceeded to wash it - totally unconscious - washed it in tap water. It drained somewhat in a colander but then I ate it - I don't ever drink tap water.

I do brush my teeth with tap water; but otherwise always bottled water.

I'm wondering if there is something I should do or take. I went to 3 pharmacies and they were all out of Fel 6 for parasites.

Would there be any symptoms - so far I feel OK.

Has my body somehow adjusted to the water here?

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thaniks.
Ro

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I would be more worried about what was on the lettuce than any remainders of the tap water - water won't rinse off the nasties that can be on the lettuce . You should use the purifying drops that are sold to rinse any vegetables that are eaten raw.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I was told by locals here that they rinse all their raw vegetables, including lettuce in a bowl with a very small addition of bleach. (cloro). Then rince with tap water. I never heard of a local talking about these drops before. Will there be consequeinces using this method over Fel 6 ? I probably have hords of these little buggers eating my insides as we speak. Would they not have parasites on vegetables worldwide? After all, dirt is dirt.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I use tap water for washing fruit and vegetables and have never had parasites. I may have greater resistance because I grew up in the Mediterranean region and have lived and travelled in tropical countries throughout most of my adult life.

PrincesseEm

Dec 2, 2008
I'm from Canada and am in the DR about once a month for at least a week or as much as 6 weeks. I've never had any problems rinsing my fruit/veggies with tap water. Always use bottled water for drinking and cooking though! I guess either my system has "adjusted" as jorgesarduysosa mentioned would never happen...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My tap water comes from the cystern and we put chloro in that from time to time, but I don't add any more when washing veg. using tap water. Not had any problems, but like Chiri, my gut has travelled to a lotta places. My only concern here has been the chemicals CORAPLAATA/INAPA themselves put in the water before it gets to us. Not knowing what precisely those are, the chloro in the cystern is to counterract them.

Ro, I'd be more worried about worrying............;)

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Anyone know if pharmacies are open on Sundays in Sosua?

Don't know if they are open on Sundays, but, I know of at least three of them.

1. Inside of the Metro bus station next to the gas station before Playero.
2. Down the block from Rocky's before the corner on the same side, next to Bon.
3. Right next to the small Playero on Pedro Clisante.

I don't blame you for being cautious, I had food poisoning two weeks ago and I thought I was going to die, hahahaha.

Good Luck, Ro.

A

apostropheman

Did you try...

Don't know if they are open on Sundays, but, I know of at least three of them.

1. Inside of the Metro bus station next to the gas station before Playero.
2. Down the block from Rocky's before the corner on the same side, next to Bon.
3. Right next to the small Playero on Pedro Clisante.

I don't blame you for being cautious, I had food poisoning two weeks ago and I thought I was going to die, hahahaha.

Good Luck, Ro.

Ro, I've heard that tequila helps.

Aye aye aye la Rosa de Tequila. That is Tequila Rose to all you flat bum boys. No te apure Rosa. La tequila mata todo.

The Tequila cure? :D:bunny::bunny:

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks all. I only drink bottled water and cook with bottled water - this was just a goof I made. however, I want to report that I feel fine and have taken precautions.

Went to the pharmacy and they didn't have Fel 6 and didn't tell me anything else; then I remembered I took Zentel tablets for parasites two times a year and so got them and will take 2 a day for 3 days.

Ive been here for 3 months and come here often and would like to think that I have adjusted - and don't want to tempt the G-ds!

Thanks for all your responses.

jerseygirl22

Jan 6, 2009
i think its fine to cook with tap water, i mean unless the water is brown or something you don't have anything to worry about. i cook and wash my vegetables with tap water all the time (although i was raised in DR for a few years), but my friend has been here for 6 months and she does the same thing and hasn't gotten sick yet. tap water is processed in someway its not like they just take it out of the osama river (very dirty river in SD) and send it straight to your tap. although i wouldn't recommend drinking it straight from the tap, washing vegetables with it is fine.

this question reminds me of that other question someone asked about giving foreign dogs DR tap water. sometimes dog eat their own poop! how bad do you guys think DR tap water is!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks all. I only drink bottled water and cook with bottled water - this was just a goof I made. however, I want to report that I feel fine and have taken precautions.

Went to the pharmacy and they didn't have Fel 6 and didn't tell me anything else; then I remembered I took Zentel tablets for parasites two times a year and so got them and will take 2 a day for 3 days.

Ive been here for 3 months and come here often and would like to think that I have adjusted - and don't want to tempt the G-ds!

Thanks for all your responses.

You won't be sick by rinsing water in your vegetables, it's not like tap water here is poisoned, whatever is left in the vegetables is not enough to give you an upset stomach, now if you drink a glass full of tap water son otros 500.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Zentel will kill parasites, but it will not kill amoeba. Amoeba is usually the cause of upset stomachs and a serious case of the trots a few days after eating or drinking something contaminated. The Fen is for amoebas. Ask the pharmacist what to take for amoeba if they don't have what you were looking for.....

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I wondered what the difference was between Zentel and Fel 6.

I actually feel fine and want to do preventative stuff.

Is it OK to take both Zentel and Fel 6 since they sound like they attack two different things - parasites and amoeba?

Or if I'm feeling OK (so far and I've had the lettuce 3 x ) should I wait and see?

I live in the hills not in the town - if that makes a difference re my water.

Thanks.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
methinks you are worrying too much .You probably swallow more water in the shower than is on the lettuce (that probably doesnt help does it lol)

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Install Aquasana 4000 under sink filter.Aquasana.com I guess.Best buy youll make if washing veggies is your worry!