Growing Tamarillos?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Anyone ever tried to grow them? I started a few plants from seeds and they are about 10 inches tall now, I just wonder how tall the tree actually is when full-grown. I love this fruit, pretty tasty stuff. The funny thing is not many Dominicans know this fruit but I always like to try new fruits and it has been in the supermarkets for two years now. It is grow in Costanza.

tamarillo.jpg

tamarillo%20syn.%20tree%20tomato.jpg

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
it says 6 metres ,bears fruit after 2 years -needs water and feeding mulch due to shallow roots.
Prone to wind damage

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
WEll, I just tried tamarillos for the first time -never heard of this fruit before. Very, very sour, I can't say that I liked it.

nispero

Nov 7, 2014
Anyone ever tried to grow them?

had one back in Europe - grown from seeds - the plant reached 2m. Did cut it back to 0.5m in winter and the plant didn't mind. I didn't like the smell of the leaves though (like burnt rubber) - so it had to go. Have seen container grown tamarillos in Europe - about 2,5m full of fruits.

There is a closely related species sometimes called Dwarf Tamarillo with small yellow fruit: Solanum abutiloides - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Grows to 1.5 to 2m within a year and will easily fruit in Europe. Haven't seen the later in the DR until now - but you should be able to find and buy seeds on the internet.

Last edited:

nispero

Nov 7, 2014
I always like to try new fruits

Seems we share this - bought my first cacao fruit yesterday and am looking forward to open it. I might even plant some seeds.
Morenga vegetable is also high on my "to eat" list. exeurodominican - do you harvest and eat leaves or young fruit from your tree?

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
Seems we share this - bought my first cacao fruit yesterday and am looking forward to open it. I might even plant some seeds.
Morenga vegetable is also high on my "to eat" list. exeurodominican - do you harvest and eat leaves or young fruit from your tree?

You get after you plant the seeds +/-3 centimeters below the ground the plants will grow into trees by about 10 meters. They grow only leaves and seeds. No fruits. In the IT you'll find all the info you need. Very easy to do. Me drink tea and eat it. Get you sometimes a nice diarea aswell.:surprised

Last edited:

nispero

Nov 7, 2014
I bought the fruit at the supermarket.

I actually use tamarillos as a interesting alternative for tomatos in cocking, and barely eat the fruit raw. Don't forget to let them ripen until they are soft to the touch - they are in the nightshade family and might be slightly poisonous when unripe.

You get after you plant the seeds +/-3 centimeters below the ground ...

Thanks for your advice. I got some Moringa seeds from the market and will plant them as you said. In case they don't germinate i'll come back to your seed offer!

i got some very small seedlings of red fleshed pitaya here - anyone interested in these?

Langsat is actually one of my favorite fruit - did anybody see these in the DR?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Tamarillos are reported to grow well in mountainous regions, but produce only very small fruits in tropical lowlands. Makes sense they are grown in Constanza and not elsewhere since the climate is more suited to larger fruit production.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I actually use tamarillos as a interesting alternative for tomatos in cocking, and barely eat the fruit raw. Don't forget to let them ripen until they are soft to the touch - they are in the nightshade family and might be slightly poisonous when unripe.

Thanks for the tips. Maybe they were not ripe enough when I tried them, for they were not soft.