So, they got me too...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Crime got me tonight in SD where I was mugged at gunpoint in the Costa Azul area (near the Cabanas of el 12), that place is a preferred spot for the SD youth to go with their couple and be relaxed sightseeing the moon and the Haina port scenery. They took from me 1 cell, my Mido watch, my ring, my wallet, and from my companion they took the purse (2 cellphones in the purse) and a watch.

I thought of reacting, but then I remembered the case of the son of the Diputado who was killed in a resisted mug attempt, and preferred to give them everything they asked, they even asked for my gun, but I don't have one. So guys living in SD, whenever you go to El Maleconcito of Costa Azul, be very aware of the surroundings, I had over 10 years going to the same place and this is the first time that I have had that experience. It is my first time getting mugged, and I was born and raised here.

Civilian security sure has taken a toll here in the DR, because those guys made their moves and there were a couple of cars next to us with couples inside and they didn't even noticed the atraco.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Civilian security sure has taken a toll here in the DR, because those guys made their moves and there were a couple of cars next to us with couples inside and they didn't even noticed the atraco.

Sorry to hear about your awful experience. I am happy you or your companion was not physically hurt.
One question were you sitting inside or outside your car when this happened?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
We were standing outside the car talking, like leaning over the door of the car. Yes, that was my first thought after they left, that we got out of it safe, because the last one I heard was horrific:

They mugged a couple in Las Americas Highway (the road to Boca Chica) at night and because the guy had an Alcatel cellphone (cheap cell), they throwed the guy to the sea and while he was drowning the delincuente proceeded to rape the girlfriend right there. so you can imagine que hijos de la gran puta son los que tenemos aqui.

Maybe it was for the best that I didn't have a gun in my car, because when he left he was wide open for me to take him down if I was armed and maybe in that moment I don't know what I could have done.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2009
Loco vivite pa contarla. Thanks for the info I use to hang out there as a carajito. El 12 seems to be a rougher part of town. I remember that my friends would always tell me of close calls concerning fights and what not over there. An acquaintance of mine the international concert violinist Frank Urena was murdered in his home in and around that area too. So I'm glad your ok.
Has anyone else been mugged or hurt in this way around there? Would you have been safer staying inside your car?
(would you have used your piece and smoked the guy?)

fullboat

Mar 25, 2009
I am new here and have been reading some of these posts and it seems like the DR is a Dangerous place.I have been invited to visit a friend there but I do not want to be hurt or killed while on a 2 week vacation...Mabye my friend is not telling me the whole story..How can you enjoy a vacation if people are doing these things to others...Times are bad Yes.. but over a Cell phone??

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I am new here and have been reading some of these posts and it seems like the DR is a Dangerous place.I have been invited to visit a friend there but I do not want to be hurt or killed while on a 2 week vacation...Mabye my friend is not telling me the whole story..How can you enjoy a vacation if people are doing these things to others...Times are bad Yes.. but over a Cell phone??

In all the major cities in this world you have places that a foreigner shouldn?t visit. If your friend is Dominican than this person should know where to take and not to take you, don?t worry about it. I?m convinced you?ll have the time of your life here.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I've been to the spot where ExtremeR was mugged but during the day. There's a great view of the coastline and the mountains to the west.

I had looked at a house to rent in the area but I decided the neighborhood is too isolated. It is cut off from other neighborhoods by the Haina road to the west, the autopista 30 de Mayo to the North and caba?as (where nobody knows your name) to the east.

I have stopped by there several times over the years to look at the view but never at night and always with radar on full alert.

I'm glad you wern't hurt.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I agree 100% with Frank! Come and enjoy the DR and all it has to offer, I understand your concerns but if you refused to go anywhere that has crime then you just have to stay at home in bed with all the doors locked.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
By the way ExtremeR, I too am glad you weren't hurt and I'm sure you did the right thing by surpressing the natural instict to "have a go"

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks to everybody for your support.

The place in question is very concurred at night by young people, at weekends its so crowded that it looks like the Ave. Lincoln scenario with lots of cars and people outside them talking and their music on (not blasting though). It is also a highscale place with a few tall buildings and a fine restaurant in the side. I had over 10 years going over the same place and never had I heard of a atraco being done there or nearby.

To fullboat, you could come here and don't be fully worried about the security in the streets, this event that happened to me could have happened in NYC or any other big city. You just have to be aware of the surroundings and use common sense so the odds of getting mugged goes down to microscopical level. An example is that this is my first time getting mugged here in 24 years.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Loco vivite pa contarla. Thanks for the info I use to hang out there as a carajito. El 12 seems to be a rougher part of town. I remember that my friends would always tell me of close calls concerning fights and what not over there. An acquaintance of mine the international concert violinist Frank Urena was murdered in his home in and around that area too. So I'm glad your ok.
Has anyone else been mugged or hurt in this way around there? Would you have been safer staying inside your car?
(would you have used your piece and smoked the guy?)

Si mano, hoy mismo acabo de leer en el periodico que unos atracadores mataron a un tipo porque se resistio al atraco, esos HDSMM.

Concerning your first question, I haven't heard anything of that nature in that area (Costa Azul).

I generally don't like to stay inside the car because the cops pass by sometimes and assume you are using your car as a Caba?a to then pressure you to give them money. But YES if I was inside my car I could have easily turn it on and leave before they made any move.

I don't have any gun, but if I had one hidden in the car the guy was wide open for me to shoot him down when he left, so I don't know what I could have done in that situation.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Empathies ExtremeR. You did the right thing 100% in not offering resistance - you'd have been gambling that there was no ammo in the gun, & that's not a gamble I'd take. Glad you're ok.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Empathies ExtremeR. You did the right thing 100% in not offering resistance - you'd have been gambling that there was no ammo in the gun, & that's not a gamble I'd take. Glad you're ok.

Thanks. Besides his mate was standing 6 feet next to us, if for some reason I could grab and control the perpetrator his friend may convert me into a colador.

Things like this happen all over the world my friend, Dont be afraid of living life it can be dangerous anywhere.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am glad that nothing much happened to you and i hope your friend is fine too. i was attacked on a gun point in my first year here and i stupidly resisted to save my 41 pesos. nothing happened to me but i know this is a very stressful situation and one loses confidence and becomes nervous.
take care!

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Did you report the incident to the police (dont think they would be of much help anyways)? Just curious if they were aware of any other robberies in the same place.
Also after the incident did you speak to the other people in the cars next to you? Did you tell them about the robbery?
Awareness is key to prevent most crimes. I am sure this was not the 1st or last time they have done this in the area. People knowing about it will be more cautious.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Extreme I understand how you must have felt after the whole incident occured. I was mugged only once in my life walking to high school here in the Bronx. After the incident I felt powerless and at the same time happy to be alive.

Don't let this discourage you because as some have already said...this happens all over the world. Keep on living and enjoying the beautiful DR.