Are used electronics duty free?

miozio

May 23, 2009
Hello DR1ers
We are planning to move to DR but we do not have residence yet. I was wondering if we could bring our used items like microwave, tv, playstation? I am bringing my expensive microscope as well. Each item costed over $500, except for the microwave.

Mar 2, 2008
Based on my experiences with customs in the DR, if they can see it they will "tax" it.

I shipped lots of personal and old family stuff. There was nothing new in the lot, and most of it had absolutely no value other than a few bucks at a yard sale. It was all old, used, and without value to anyone besides myself.

However, after customs took a look at all that junk, they came to the conclusion that it was worth it's weight in gold. Well, not quite, but certainly far more than any reasonable person would estimate. I was left with paying what I consider to be a very stiff duty, with no recourse.

There might be some who have gotten by customs without such an outcome, but if they did they were lucky or connected, or they paid some customs officials to behave reasonably.

The bottom line; expect to pay some duty on everything you ship.

Jan 17, 2009
Apply for your residence first. Just with the application we were able to get a container with almost everything used (and some new stuff) duty free. They were interested in checking wether we had A/C units (which we didn't) and making sure that there was not more than one TV set per person (we had two, so no problem for a couple).

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Apply for your residence first. Just with the application we were able to get a container with almost everything used (and some new stuff) duty free. They were interested in checking wether we had A/C units (which we didn't) and making sure that there was not more than one TV set per person (we had two, so no problem for a couple).
I apologize if this is easy to find, but where do you find these rules for duty exempt items? (i.e. 1 TV per person...)
Can they charge duty on used clothes, books...etc?
Might be better to bring any electronic things well packed in a suite case and just ship all my clothes etc to go thru customs if I don't have my residency?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004

Why the special interest in AC's?

J NewBeginning

Dec 23, 2008
What about electronics in your carry-on or checked luggage?

If I bring my laptop in my carry on luggage or checked luggage, as a non-resident, should I expect to be taxed or pay any fees?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
You shouldnt expect to pay any fees, just make sure you bring it in your carry on and not your checked luggage. Putting it in checked luggage leaves an opportunity for it to be stolen, should your bags get lost or delayed.

Jan 17, 2009
I apologize if this is easy to find, but where do you find these rules for duty exempt items? (i.e. 1 TV per person...)
Can they charge duty on used clothes, books...etc?
Might be better to bring any electronic things well packed in a suite case and just ship all my clothes etc to go thru customs if I don't have my residency?

Sorry, I don't know where you get these rules. We had hired a lawyer to get my husband's residency and he provided us with a list. Like if there's two of you, it has to make sense to have more than one similar item for the household. I assume that to put a limit on what you can bring per person makes sense, otherwise anyone could be six flat screen TVs for a two person household. We ended up paying a few hundred bucks in taxes, but that was nothing compared to what we brought in a 40' container (although not completely full).