x-ray health check for residencia???

domrep24

Jun 8, 2009
Hello,

I am a 26 year old girl from Germany, and I want to stay in Dominican Republic for the next years.

After researching the internet for information about the residencia, there is one thing, I am worrying about.

I found an information, that the x-ray health check of the thorax will be done without a lead protector?

Now my question to all the persons which went already true the health check of the residencia:

Could someone confirm that there is no lead protector or is this not the truth or just a very old info?

I am not willing to cause my health by x-rays just for the residencia.

Thank you for your quick response...
Sorry for my bad English ;)

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
In SD where we had it done, you stand in front of the plate and they take the xray. The machine is probably older then you are. It's a 2 time thing. Temp. and again for Perm. We don't think you have anything to worry about, but it's up to you.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hello,

I am a 26 year old girl from Germany, and I want to stay in Dominican Republic for the next years.

After researching the internet for information about the residencia, there is one thing, I am worrying about.

I found an information, that the x-ray health check of the thorax will be done without a lead protector?

Now my question to all the persons which went already true the health check of the residencia:

Could someone confirm that there is no lead protector or is this not the truth or just a very old info?

I am not willing to cause my health by x-rays just for the residencia.

Thank you for your quick response...
Sorry for my bad English ;)
You've lost me there. Chest X-rays are taken the same here as everwhere. What would you need a lead protector for. Where would you place it?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I found an information, that the x-ray health check of the thorax will be done without a lead protector…

I don't know anything about this medically, but I thought lead protectors were standard for all x-rays, even here. What makes you think they do not use them here?

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Because when you get a chest xray, you stand in front of the plate. Waist up, and they take the xray. Can't take it with thru lead. I'm not being funny, that's just the way they do it here.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I had mine done in SD 4 and a half years ago but it's hard to say about side effects because I was strange before and I'm still strange lol
I believe the XRay is for TB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
lead protector? you wanna cover your privates or what? it ain't chemotherapy, you know.
x-ray last for few seconds and trust me, you get more exposure to damaging rays by frying yourself in the sun on DR beach at midday.

interestingly enough the person who does xray is a man. you would have thought a woman would be a better choice since men do not mind showing their naked chest left right and centre singing "i'm too sexy" under their noses. ladies may feel less comfy with a men attendant.

in any case, dude has a mustache and is thin so i presume his hormones work just right. unless, of course, the attendant is, in fact, a moustached woman. then you are better off in germany, young man.

domrep24

Jun 8, 2009
Hello
to all funny guys! I have studied biology and its reality, that a x-ray is more dangerous to woman then it is to man in due of the possibility to get pregnant. That there is no risk of cancer I already knew!

At all thank you for your comments!
Maybe somebody will post a helpfull comment within the next few days!

Gracia!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't know what you call a helpful comment. a lie that pleases you?
there are no protectors, full stop. you go in, take off your top, stand in front of the machine and it's done.
one x-ray in two years is not going to make you infertile.
if you are pregnant and worried wait until you pop it out and then do an x-ray. if simple x-ray would damage fertility there would be no kids in DR...

rocker67

Apr 20, 2009
is there a doctor in the house ..anywhere that can provide a high degree of accuracy within their response to the OP...as opposed to the speculative responses received

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Hope this helps:
1. No lead protectors are available but would be a good idea for abdominal coverage
2. If you are worried about pregnancy then take a pregnancy test first (home test). They are now accurate to within 7 days of conception and actually will be positive even before you miss your period. So take one 10 days before test and again the day of the test and don't be sexually active between the two.
3. If cancer is your concern then dont worry. You actually do more harm by smoking two cigarettes. So two x-rays (not sure i did a second one for perm residency) are really not going to hurt you.
4. The machine they use is older then dirt and when i looked at my x-ray i could hardly tell a thing. It was basically a useless film.

Again hope this helps.

Bob K