Autopista from SD to Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

miozio

May 23, 2009
Thank you guys for your great advices, i have one more here if you don't mind :) I am going to drive from SD to Sosua, i have never been to Dominicana before so i am not sure if i have to go all the way on Autopista 1 from Las Americas Airport to Sosua or i can turn, say, before Santiago to Road 21? What happens if i turn off the main highway to this 21 or any other in durkness. Are the highways lit well, how fast can i go on Autopista 1 and 21?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If this will be your first experience of driving here, I wouldn't recommend doing any of it in the dark. Nor, frankly would I recommend a journey from SD to Sosua as a first driving experience. Go easy on yourself & get used to driving here by doing short trips first.

Highways are not well lit (some places but not throughout), all sorts of hazards like cattle crossing the road, motoconchos & other vehicles without lights etc. Start driving here by doing short local journeys by daylight. Then progress slowly to night driving/longer trips as you feel confident.

Thank you guys for your great advices, i have one more here if you don't mind :) I am going to drive from SD to Sosua, i have never been to Dominicana before so i am not sure if i have to go all the way on Autopista 1 from Las Americas Airport to Sosua or i can turn, say, before Santiago to Road 21? What happens if i turn off the main highway to this 21 or any other in durkness. Are the highways lit well, how fast can i go on Autopista 1 and 21?

Dont do it buddy especially at night!!!!

miozio

May 23, 2009
all sorts of hazards like cattle crossing the road, motoconchos & other vehicles without lights etc.
I could understand there is cattle crossing the main state highway at NIGHT, crazy farmer!!! :) But it beats me how could people be driving without lights? Its them who is risking, i wanted to drive a huge SUV with airbags and so. But hey, now i will have to forget it as i am afraid to hurt some crazy suicider driving without lights.
Thank you guys, i am learning some here LOL

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'll break it to you gently:
a) not necessarily a farmer at all - free range cattle, goats, dogs ;)

But it beats me how could people be driving without lights?
b) Is it Russia you are from? I seem to recall that on another post. I'm afraid you're going to need to suspend the faultless logic & probably scientific mind. Things don't work logically here. Some drive old vehicles, don't get lights repaired all with the unshakeable belief that 'it' will never happen to them.
c) People who drive without lights at night aren't suicidal (well they are :cheeky: but not in their terms) see b)
d) There is also another point which I didn't mention before, because driving hazards by themselves were enough. But if you breakdown/get lost at night whilst you might get helpers stopping to help, you could also get those less altruistically minded and as a brand new arrival in the country, you will stand out, Spanish or no Spanish. So for the sake of wife and baby with you (I presume?) - another good reason not to jeopardise their safety.

Always think 'risk avoidance behaviour' or as I usually put it, damage control. You'll get used to it. It'll be second nature after a while.

miozio

May 23, 2009
I'm afraid you're going to need to suspend the faultless logic & probably scientific mind. Things don't work logically here.
Oh, my!! I thought there was no logic here in Russia and complained about local worker's behavior getting drunk and driving. But there we have sober minded logic absense !!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as a russian you may be used to alternative driving arrangements but it will be safer for your family not to drive. you can take a taxi at the airport - they should have the prices clearly displayed. it will be a lot but you may try to negotiate. at the worst, if time permits, you can take a taxi to caribe tours bus stop and then a bus to sosua. otherwise look for a kind person who knows a dominican driver who can pick you up and take to sosua at some decent price.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Highways are not well lit (some places but not throughout), all sorts of hazards like cattle crossing the road, motoconchos & other vehicles without lights etc. .

Here are a few more....missing manhole covers, recent landslides on mountain roads, recent road washouts on mountain roads, recent road washouts on mountain roads with a pile of dirt pushed in front of the "missing road" as a warning to oncoming motorists....

Dominicans do not close a perfectly good mountain road just because one of two lanes has washed down a 500 foot cliff. Nor do they believe in putting out flashing lites to warn you.

Not a place to be driving at nite your first trip. Accidents are usually the "rich gringos" fault regardless of who is at fault. Even if you have insurance, you can be forced to hand over a large sum of cash/passport to satisfy the policia.

Have a great trip....:bunny:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

Listen to ALL preceeding posts. I've lived here over 25 years and have driven 1000's of miles in this country (During the day). I don't even drive to Puerto Plata or Cabarete at night unless it's an emergency.

miozio

May 23, 2009
Our flight arrives at 18:35 to Las Americas and we need to go to Sosua. Looks like it wouldn't be safe taking a taxi in darkness as the driver would also be with extreme logic. I was thinking of finding an airport hotel and stay there overnight. Usualy there is one right by any international airport in the world but there is no at Las Americas. Or is there? Does anybody know? I found some holels away from the airport but in this case we would still need to take a taxi in the durkness!!!
I've travelled to many countries but now i am really puzzled!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can safely take a taxi. i have travelled in DR at night many times - with miesposo (husband) behind the wheel. at least taxi driver will have his car in good working condition and as dominican he will know how to drive here.
there is no hotel close to the airport, if i remember correctly.
ask if any of the dr1ers knows a trusted taxi driver who can pick you up at dominican price.
btw, lots of russians in sosua and some here in POP. you will have someone to talk to, always a good thing.
take care.

miozio

May 23, 2009
Looks like driving/ taking a cab in darkness is not the choice we wanted to make anymore after reading all of the input, thanks guys by the way, looking for a hotel as close as possible for the night and carry on in a rented car in the morning. Do not have pleasant feelings anymore, hopefully things will get better as soon as we get to the place and jump in the ocean. By the way it looks unsafe to drive at day time too...

Last edited:
Looks like driving/ taking a cab in darkness is not the choice we wanted to make anymore after reading all of the input, thanks guys by the way, looking for a hotel as close as possible for the night and carry on in a rented car in the morning. Do not have pleasant feelings anymore, hopefully things will get better as soon as we get to the place and jump in the ocean. By the way it looks unsafe to drive at day time too...

If I were you I would have a taxi take me into the Capital to a hotel in the colonial zone, Then you and the family could venture out in the early evening and enjoy the malecon in the capital and the colonial zone. Then early the next morning have a taxi take you to the Caribe tours bus and you will be on your way to the north coast and the fun in the sun your looking for. The first bus leaves at 6 am and there are busses every hour on the hour for most of the day. The busses are very good busses and dont forget to dress warm because they put the A/C on very high.

miozio

May 23, 2009
My cousin went twice to "all inclusive", and some of my friends, they highly recommended the lifestyle. We decided to rent for 3 months and see if we liked it enough there to buy our own place. I thought there is nothing bad in a 3 months trip to the sea.
I've mostly travelled to West-European countries and found them pretty easy and comfortable. I worked in Rome (Italy) for 7 years and managed it there quite fine.
Basically what we are looking for is a home next to the ocean shore with coral reefs, lots of sun, exotic fruit and fresh seafood. Just to have it there for our improvised 3-6 month holidays.

miozio

May 23, 2009
The busses are very good busses and dont forget to dress warm because they put the A/C on very high.
It could be a good idea but we have a 4 month daughter travelling with us. I know its insane as we hear old people say, yes we take a baby with us everywhere we go in the world, we had a travel spirit before and we still do now and can not stay home for long.
The problem is we like travelling with comfort, if we take our baby, i would provide more for my wife and daughter than a 4 hour bus. A car trip is possible, so i reserved a spacious SUV for us. Taxi ride was secondary.
It was was always so simple before to rent a car and go, but DR seems to be different and i have to use any good advice from DR1ers.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
That's fine, it's a 3 month exploratory visit :). I thought for a moment you had decided to move permanently without first visiting. Exploratory is good, just don't cut all your ties with home in case it doesn't work out.

Carry on! :)

miozio

May 23, 2009
That's fine, it's a 3 month exploratory visit :). I thought for a moment you had decided to move permanently without first visiting. Exploratory is good, just don't cut all your ties with home in case it doesn't work out.

Carry on! :)
Yes, thats exactly what it is. We actually planned and booked for a six month visit from the first place but later changed to 3. We will see how it goes, but i am sure we will like it as we are coming to see the best and deny the bad! We just need to skip trouble and not see it as if it doesn't exist there in DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.