Power of Attorney? Why?

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
It seems to me, based on the experience of many Gringos, that a DR attorney will require, or insist, that his / her new client, DR or Gringo, sign a PoA, authorizing the lawyer to do something [?] in the name of the client.
* I have never heard of this practice in the USA. Why is it routinely performed, or perhaps required, in the DR?
* A DR attorney & friend told me that the attorney is legally required to give the [new] client a copy of the signed PoA he / she has just signed. Based on my limited experience, all hearsay, this is nearly never done by the DR attorney.
* When problems arise - which appears common - the client is helpless. I & the typical Gringo client wallow in confusion!
* Can someone enlighten me? Thank you.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have been here for 10 years, used alot of attorneys and never given power of attorney to any. I think Gringos fall for this when they want to live back home and have someone taking care of their assets here.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
IF you have to give a POA.........

.............make sure:

1. It states the purpose of the POA..........

example: "for matters related to the divorce of Jane Doe"

2. MAKE sure it has an expiration date.........
example: "This Power of Attorney expires on 12/31/2009"...

NONE OF THEM WILL UNLESS YOU MAKE THEM...........WITH ALL DUE RESPECT TO ATTY GUZMAN OF THIS BOARD..........

..........NOT HAVING THE ABOVE IN THE POA'S THAT YOU GIVE TO THE ATTORNEY, is the reason why you read so many cases of people that have been ripped off by them in the DR.......90% of the attorney's are not "Atty Guzman's"...........or anywhere close.......and probably can't even drive to your house to meet you since their bike has a flat tire or they don't have one at all.

.............Sorry, but TELLING IT LIKE IT IS........:ermm::ermm:

Reactions: Chip

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
.............make sure:

1. It states the purpose of the POA..........

example: "for matters related to the divorce of Jane Doe"

2. MAKE sure it has an expiration date.........
example: "This Power of Attorney expires on 12/31/2009"...

NONE OF THEM WILL UNLESS YOU MAKE THEM...........WITH ALL DUE RESPECT TO ATTY GUZMAN OF THIS BOARD..........

..........NOT HAVING THE ABOVE IN THE POA'S THAT YOU GIVE TO THE ATTORNEY, is the reason why you read so many cases of people that have been ripped off by them in the DR.......90% of the attorney's are not "Atty Guzman's"...........or anywhere close.......and probably can't even drive to your house to meet you since their bike has a flat tire or they don't have one at all.

.............Sorry, but TELLING IT LIKE IT IS........:ermm::ermm:
I tend to concur. Any POA must have two key elements; a) highly restrictive and b) highly specific. General POAs are the kiss of death.