Internet anywhere...

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Excuse my language since I am computer and technologically illiterate.My brother has some thing here in the States that he puts into his USB port on his laptop and he can get internet wherever he goes. I think he told me that he pays $50 per month or something like that (I may be wrong).
Anyway, is there anything like that in DR (if you know what I am talking about), or is it something I can get while I am here (NYC) that can be used over there?
I go out to eat lunch alot alone and would love to be able to take my laptop.
SHALENA

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Claro - Banda Ancha

Orange -Viva Interjet

You would need to check coverage for your area, where ever that may be.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A lot of people I know in the Punta Cana area have the Claro service and by all accounts it hardly ever works.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
A lot of people I know in the Punta Cana area have the Claro service and by all accounts it hardly ever works.

WOW, shocking to say the least, I thought they provided a reliable service, since Slim took over that company is going downhill in a hurry.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was talking specifically about the laptop USB adaptor internet from Claro, not the Claro service generally.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
claro, after 3 GB or maybe 10GB the speed drops to 128kbps for the rest of the month. so if you watch movies or download movies, then you may get into trouble with speed (especially if its 3gb max download).

Jan 17, 2009
Excuse my language since I am computer and technologically illiterate.My brother has some thing here in the States that he puts into his USB port on his laptop and he can get internet wherever he goes. I think he told me that he pays $50 per month or something like that (I may be wrong).
Anyway, is there anything like that in DR (if you know what I am talking about), or is it something I can get while I am here (NYC) that can be used over there?
SHALENA

Where in the DR will you be? I'm in Cabarete and many restaurants here have free Wi-Fi.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I was talking specifically about the laptop USB adaptor internet from Claro, not the Claro service generally.

I know what you meant, I thought that they would be the leading provider for that very needed service, as they were the pionner of internet here and have more than 50% of the market share as IPS in DR.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Throttle

claro, after 3 GB or maybe 10GB the speed drops to 128kbps for the rest of the month. so if you watch movies or download movies, then you may get into trouble with speed (especially if its 3gb max download).

The throttle happens after 5gp.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004

I have a laptop with claro banda ancha on it,and my daughter has it in
El Limon,Samana,and is very rairly outof service...and she downloads lots of music and video...she is here in Capital right now and it works fine here also...if there is no claro cell phone signal where you are then no internet...it is that simple.
bob

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Claro cellphone signal is fine here (Punta Cana), but everyone I know who has this device for their laptop says it is useless.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
2qvxet5.jpg

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The Claro cellphone signal is fine here (Punta Cana), but everyone I know who has this device for their laptop says it is useless.

This is disconcerting to say the least as I have some work to do coming up in the South and thought I would be able to use this to check my emails and keep in touch with the rest of the world outside of the DR.

At they Claro office in Santiago they showed me three different types of adapters for the banda ancha servie, could it be that maybe one of them is worse than the others? Here is a link that shows actually 4 different wireless cards - anybody have anymore info?

Claro que tienes ms!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I do not know anything about GBs...so that was lost on me, AZB!!;);)
Anyone have the Orange service that can give me their opinion on it. I will go to the Claro office when I get back. I definitely would like to have a man go with me...one that knows about these things because they may sell me anything.
How about it Chip or AZB (or anyone else in Santiago), can I sucker one of you into helping me for a free lunch!:cheeky:
SHALENA

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I do not know anything about GBs...so that was lost on me, AZB!!;);)
Anyone have the Orange service that can give me their opinion on it. I will go to the Claro office when I get back. I definitely would like to have a man go with me...one that knows about these things because they may sell me anything.
How about it Chip or AZB (or anyone else in Santiago), can I sucker one of you into helping me for a free lunch!:cheeky:
SHALENA

poi supue'to

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
SHALENA

Check with AT&T here in the states. Price, roaming etc. It may be compatible with the Orange setup in DR.