Jamaicans living in DR??

ineedmorepesos

Mar 4, 2009
I know of Jamaicans living in all the corners of the world, From Alaska to Australia. I would therefore assume that there would be some Jamaicans living in the Dominican Republic.

Jamaicans where in DR are you? Are there any Jamaican restaurants, reggae clubs, festive events?

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Hello from another Jamaican who I lived in the DR for awhile (but not now).
I never met another Jamaican on the island, and trust me I looked and asked around. I heard about 1 older JA-American man living in POP but never had the pleasure to meet him. Which I found strange as well, because as you say Jamaicans are everywhere....

One thing I found strange compared to the 15+ other Caribbean islands I have travelled to was the lack of awareness/education from the average Dominican about the culture/people from other islands.

Regarding Jamaicans they know about Bob Marley but that seemed to be it. I had to constantly explain to Dominicans simple things like yes we eat plantains etc. too..... JA is one of your neighbours in the Caribbean not half way around the world lol.
In a Dominican restaurant once a few locals thought JA was a rich island that was a 'owned' by the USA? And when I explained JA is a poor island like the DR and is more similar than not in many ways, they were in shock. Some even asked if it was cold in JA?
Or when they saw me dancing to their music so well they were shocked. Even had one guy who felt he needed to explain to me when 2 locals were dancing to reggaeton. I just laughed and said you do know Jamaicans now how to 'wine' too? LOL
If I didnt speak based on the way I look, Dominicans thought I was a Dominican. Asked me why I looked so Dominican when I was a Jamaican?

They will call you a gringo and think Jamaican culture/lifestyle is like Americans? Whereas for example in Cuba once I told people I was Jamaican, a fellow Caribbean automantically there was an 'oh you are one of us' response. But that mentality has to do with the great education system in Cuba...and awareness about the rest of the world.

There are no Jamaican restuarants, reggae clubs or festive events.

Unfortunately not a jerk chicken or piece of oxtail to be found on the island, unless you are cooking it yourself LOL

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Hello from another Jamaican who I lived in the DR for awhile (but not now).
I never met another Jamaican on the island, and trust me I looked and asked around.

Thandie, there were two Jamaican women living in Montellano until last June. They were volunteers working at Mustard Seed Communities-Immanuel. Mustard Seed Communities is a Jamaican organization out of Kingston. Before them, there was a young married couple from Jamaica who were serving as director and co-director of Immanuel House.

You lived in POP, right? I am surprised that no one knew about them.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Thandie, there were two Jamaican women living in Montellano until last June. They were volunteers working at Mustard Seed Communities-Immanuel. Mustard Seed Communities is a Jamaican organization out of Kingston. Before them, there was a young married couple from Jamaica who were serving as director and co-director of Immanuel House.

You lived in POP, right? I am surprised that no one knew about them.

La Prof,

You know what, I met the 2 female missionaries at Mustard Seed twice before they left last year. Sweet women. My Haitian friend took me to see them, he misses them dearly and their cooking LOL. Mustard is a very well known Jamaican charity. We even talked about our experiences being a Jamaican living in the DR.
I guess I put missionaries in a different category than regular expats.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Whereas for example in Cuba once I told people I was Jamaican, a fellow Caribbean automantically there was an 'oh you are one of us' response. But that mentality has to do with the great education system in Cuba...and awareness about the rest of the world.
That and the fact that prior to the revolution, Jamaica (and Haiti) was a major source for sugar cane workers in eastern Cuba.

The DR never had major influxes of Jamaicans.

-NALs

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
That and the fact that prior to the revolution, Jamaica (and Haiti) was a major source for sugar cane workers in eastern Cuba.

The DR never had major influxes of Jamaicans.

-NALs

As I stated in my post "out of the 15+ Caribbean islands I have been too...".
Cuba was just one example, but I experienced the same in Puerto Rico, Barbados, Dominica, etc. and many other islands that never had a major influx of Jamaicans.

dochollywood

May 13, 2007
I'm a Jamaican-Bahamian Physician Living in Santo Domingo, Domincan Republic 2012

I've been living here for a little over one year. I love it.. There is so much opportunity here in DR for Jamaicans its a sin. Education is real low about other Caribbean Islands... Jamaican Population: Approx 4 million but Over 12 Million Mixed Latin Black people live in DR who love PORK, CHICKEN, BREAD & SPANISH REGGAE (reggaeton) and NOT one Jamaican Restaurant in sight.. JERK PORK, JERK CHICKEN & FESTIVAL would fit right in this culture like a glove. Only one exception: Dominicans do NOT like Ginger and Pepper, and it would have to be left out of all dishes. Therefore they don't like spicy food, as Ginger and Pepper are both spicy. I've scoured the country side and not one Akee Tree in sight! Keep in mind this country is many times bigger than Jamaica in size with the same tropical climate. Then one day at the Fedex Building in Santo Domingo, I saw 4 Akee Trees Bearing on the Property. I immediately inquired how on earth they got there? Turns out the FedEx Manager for the Facility was Jamaican. She planted them! 30ft to 40ft tall adult trees: 0! Implying she's been in the country for a while.. Guess what her last name was? "Marley". LoL! Not sure if she is related to Rohan Marley or Anthony Booker because i went to high school with both of them and i didnt have time to wait and ask her. She was in a meeting. It was an amazing coincidence. Anyways... this country is poor.. But the poor spend alot of money on food & party. I secured the the online Spanish word for "Jamaican" in Spanish: Jamaiquino.com.... I was thinking of cloning one of the 3 famous jerk spots in Jamaica. 1. Jerk Truck Stop Kingston , 2. Ocho Rios Knutford Express Jerk Stop, 3. Scotchies-Jerk Iron Shore, Mobay. Anyways.. I'm here in DR Between Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo. Send me a Private Message and Ill reply with my DR Cell and BlackBerry Pin or MSN Messenger..

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
The first time I went to the DR, one of the hotels where I stayed the owner said "Somos hermanos del Caribe" when he saw my Jamaican passport. Like everything else it depends on the person's socioeconomic background. Like you, I have met people who didn't know anything more than Bob Marley and Sean Paul but there were others who were very familiar. Last year, I met a Jamaican guy who had a Jamaican restaurant on Sosua beach. I am not sure if he still there.

They will call you a gringo and think Jamaican culture/lifestyle is like Americans? Whereas for example in Cuba once I told people I was Jamaican, a fellow Caribbean automantically there was an 'oh you are one of us' response. But that mentality has to do with the great education system in Cuba...and awareness about the rest of the world.

There are no Jamaican restuarants, reggae clubs or festive events.

Unfortunately not a jerk chicken or piece of oxtail to be found on the island, unless you are cooking it yourself LOL

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
The first time I went to the DR, one of the hotels where I stayed the owner said "Somos hermanos del Caribe" when he saw my Jamaican passport. Like everything else it depends on the person's socioeconomic background. Like you, I have met people who didn't know anything more than Bob Marley and Sean Paul but there were others who were very familiar. Last year, I met a Jamaican guy who had a Jamaican restaurant on Sosua beach. I am not sure if he still there.

Just a couple of months ago i bumped into a jamaican woman in germany and she never knew nothing about the DR. Also, i asked my dominican pal to name countries in the caribbean and he wouldnt get past puerto rico and cuba.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
. I've scoured the country side and not one Akee Tree in sight!

You can find lot of trees in Cibao area. They call it hear as "sasho"(Spelling?) i asked them if they cook and they told me that they cook with eggs. I really missed the ackee and salt fish.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Not surprised, I don't expect Dominicans who aren't well traveled or don't have a particular interest in Jamaica to know a lot about Jamaica. In most countries in Latin America most people don't know more than Bob Marley. Honestly, before my first trip to the DR, I didn't know that much about the DR. I knew it was a Spanish speaking country and its location but very little else. Now, it is the Caribbean country other than Jamaica with which I am most familiar.

Just a couple of months ago i bumped into a jamaican woman in germany and she never knew nothing about the DR. Also, i asked my dominican pal to name countries in the caribbean and he wouldnt get past puerto rico and cuba.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Here in Miami I constantly get my fix of jerk chicken, jerk pork, and oxtail with rice and peas...got me some real good restaurants down here!

On one of my trips to Jamaica, I stopped by this popular food stand (don't know the name) and asked for jerk chicken and the guy started talking smack about how hot it was and treating me like a newbie to jerk.

To show him up, I said "Not only do I want the Jerk chicken, put more sauce". He obliged while kinda chuckling with his buddies. Then I asked him to pour some more sauce. The guy was wide eyed now "Mon, this is very hot, you sure you know what you doing?" as he poured some more. After he stopped I was like "You know what, give me a little more sauce" That guy started tripping out to some of the others there ..."Mon, he crazy mon! I don't eat that much jerk! This mon don't wanna live!"

And just to show him up....I started eating right there in front of him. I felt the effects coming on....my nose was starting to get runny....I continued and talked some smack. I pushed on, 'damn I feel hot' as I started to sweat. "You wanna drink mon? You turning colors" he asked. In the guys defense, that was some of the spiciest jerk Ive eaten! I turned him down, accepted my kudos and walked away. I was a mess LOL My eyes were watering like FULL waterworks, my nose wouldn't stop running, and my mouth felt so hot it would burst a thermometer.

To date that was the best jerk I've had! It was so delicious but omg was it hot :)

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
I know of Jamaicans living in all the corners of the world, From Alaska to Australia. I would therefore assume that there would be some Jamaicans living in the Dominican Republic.

Jamaicans where in DR are you? Are there any Jamaican restaurants, reggae clubs, festive events?

A few years in Costambar I had the fortune to met a Jamaican chef. This Brother made The Best goat, oxtails, stewed okra and tomatoes with bacon I've ever had!

Where are you now?

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
jamaican Mike ,he's gone now ,I saw him about a year ago in cofemba and that was the last time.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Here in Miami I constantly get my fix of jerk chicken, jerk pork, and oxtail with rice and peas...got me some real good restaurants down here!

On one of my trips to Jamaica, I stopped by this popular food stand (don't know the name) and asked for jerk chicken and the guy started talking smack about how hot it was and treating me like a newbie to jerk.

To show him up, I said "Not only do I want the Jerk chicken, put more sauce". He obliged while kinda chuckling with his buddies. Then I asked him to pour some more sauce. The guy was wide eyed now "Mon, this is very hot, you sure you know what you doing?" as he poured some more. After he stopped I was like "You know what, give me a little more sauce" That guy started tripping out to some of the others there ..."Mon, he crazy mon! I don't eat that much jerk! This mon don't wanna live!"

And just to show him up....I started eating right there in front of him. I felt the effects coming on....my nose was starting to get runny....I continued and talked some smack. I pushed on, 'damn I feel hot' as I started to sweat. "You wanna drink mon? You turning colors" he asked. In the guys defense, that was some of the spiciest jerk Ive eaten! I turned him down, accepted my kudos and walked away. I was a mess LOL My eyes were watering like FULL waterworks, my nose wouldn't stop running, and my mouth felt so hot it would burst a thermometer.

To date that was the best jerk I've had! It was so delicious but omg was it hot :)

I like my food comfortably hot where I can enjoy it. Sorry but when you are eating your food and you are turning red like a tomato and in so much pain that your mouth feels as if you are eating hot Lava, eyes pouring tears and your nose starts running, that to me is not enjoying your food but more like getting tortured. That is a torture that the CIA could've used on Osama.

You guys that go for torture over enjoying your food are more about showing off more than anything else? there is no way that you can enjoy food while being tortured.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
To respond to your statement, I think it best I quote Wikipedia:

[h=1]Ignorance
Ignorance
(or witlessness) is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).[1] The word ignorant is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware and is often used as an insult[/h]In this case I employ both uses of the word. Have a pleasant day.