Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Jamaicans living in DR??

I know of Jamaicans living in all the corners of the world, From Alaska to Australia. I would therefore assume that there would be some Jamaicans living in the Dominican Republic.

Jamaicans where in DR are you? Are there any Jamaican restaurants, reggae clubs, festive events?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello from another Jamaican who I lived in the DR for awhile (but not now).
    I never met another Jamaican on the island, and trust me I looked and asked around. I heard about 1 older JA-American man living in POP but never had the pleasure to meet him. Which I found strange as well, because as you say Jamaicans are everywhere....

One thing I found strange compared to the 15+ other Caribbean islands I have travelled to was the lack of awareness/education from the average Dominican about the culture/people from other islands.

Regarding Jamaicans they know about Bob Marley but that seemed to be it. I had to constantly explain to Dominicans simple things like yes we eat plantains etc. too..... JA is one of your neighbours in the Caribbean not half way around the world lol.
    In a Dominican restaurant once a few locals thought JA was a rich island that was a 'owned' by the USA? And when I explained JA is a poor island like the DR and is more similar than not in many ways, they were in shock. Some even asked if it was cold in JA?
    Or when they saw me dancing to their music so well they were shocked. Even had one guy who felt he needed to explain to me when 2 locals were dancing to reggaeton. I just laughed and said you do know Jamaicans now how to 'wine' too? LOL
    If I didnt speak based on the way I look, Dominicans thought I was a Dominican. Asked me why I looked so Dominican when I was a Jamaican?

They will call you a gringo and think Jamaican culture/lifestyle is like Americans? Whereas for example in Cuba once I told people I was Jamaican, a fellow Caribbean automantically there was an 'oh you are one of us' response. But that mentality has to do with the great education system in Cuba...and awareness about the rest of the world.

There are no Jamaican restuarants, reggae clubs or festive events.

Unfortunately not a jerk chicken or piece of oxtail to be found on the island, unless you are cooking it yourself LOL

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thandie View Post
    Hello from another Jamaican who I lived in the DR for awhile (but not now).
    I never met another Jamaican on the island, and trust me I looked and asked around.
    Thandie, there were two Jamaican women living in Montellano until last June. They were volunteers working at Mustard Seed Communities-Immanuel. Mustard Seed Communities is a Jamaican organization out of Kingston. Before them, there was a young married couple from Jamaica who were serving as director and co-director of Immanuel House.

You lived in POP, right? I am surprised that no one knew about them.

À bientôt

Thandie, baby, Jamaican me crazy and I didn't even know it!

YouTube - Eric Clapton - Willie And The Hand Jive

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately not a jerk chicken or piece of oxtail to be found on the island, unless you are cooking it yourself LOL
    Next time ask for rabo encendido - one out of two ain't bad

Rabo encendido (Spicy ox-tail stew) - Dominican Cooking

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by La Profe_1 View Post
    Thandie, there were two Jamaican women living in Montellano until last June. They were volunteers working at Mustard Seed Communities-Immanuel. Mustard Seed Communities is a Jamaican organization out of Kingston. Before them, there was a young married couple from Jamaica who were serving as director and co-director of Immanuel House.

You lived in POP, right? I am surprised that no one knew about them.
    La Prof,

You know what, I met the 2 female missionaries at Mustard Seed twice before they left last year. Sweet women. My Haitian friend took me to see them, he misses them dearly and their cooking LOL. Mustard is a very well known Jamaican charity. We even talked about our experiences being a Jamaican living in the DR.
    I guess I put missionaries in a different category than regular expats.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    Next time ask for rabo encendido - one out of two ain't bad

Rabo encendido (Spicy ox-tail stew) - Dominican Cooking

Oh yes most islands have at least one oxtail dish and I ate oxtail in the DR, just not yummy spicey Jamaican oxtail. I am a spice/seasoning lover, I find DR food to be bland. In the DR I was literally having vivid dreams about good spicey food. lol

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Whereas for example in Cuba once I told people I was Jamaican, a fellow Caribbean automantically there was an 'oh you are one of us' response. But that mentality has to do with the great education system in Cuba...and awareness about the rest of the world.
    That and the fact that prior to the revolution, Jamaica (and Haiti) was a major source for sugar cane workers in eastern Cuba.

The DR never had major influxes of Jamaicans.

-NALs

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

A Bientot, as I said before, your posts always make me laugh. lol

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    That and the fact that prior to the revolution, Jamaica (and Haiti) was a major source for sugar cane workers in eastern Cuba.

The DR never had major influxes of Jamaicans.

-NALs
    As I stated in my post "out of the 15+ Caribbean islands I have been too...".
    Cuba was just one example, but I experienced the same in Puerto Rico, Barbados, Dominica, etc. and many other islands that never had a major influx of Jamaicans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast