Want to live in Paradise

sfbut

Jun 10, 2009
Hello all,

I recently visited the Dominican Republic on a short trip and fell in love! Oh, yes a woman was also involved! I am retired from Law Enforcement, raised two daughters and starting my 2nd yr of on my MSW (Masters in Social Work) with graduation in 05/10.

I'm ready to live life as it is meant to be and would love a chance to live in the DR. Anyone with advice on life, work and whatever else would be appreciated. I hope to return in Aug for more ground work. As I said, I have a retirement coming in and career ($) is not the priority here but, quality of life.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I would say...

Spend more vacation time here and read as much as you can on this sight about relationships here and then decide. Try to make friends with other expats that live here too.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Only a few people get to live in paradise. :bunny: They're all dead.

OK, you fell in love with the girl, the beach, the coconuts and what not. I can empathize. You are middle aged (right?) and the apparent attention given to you by the woman (girl?) flatters the heck out of a man's ego. Nice, I am glad for you.
Yet, let me remind you what your years in the law enforcement "biz" and your "social" skills studies have told, shown and proven to you over and over again:
Easy come, easy go.

You like the place? Fine, no issues with that. But did you not really only fall in love with your vacations? Likeliness has it, that where you are from, the place you are so hell bound to leave for paradise today, is being visited by tourists every day... some of them, would you believe, even fall in love with it. Now, you live there, so, you could not really understand why anybody would fall for what you are about to give up... but so it is here... by the 100 thousands.
Life here, is not like swinging in a hammock all day long, zipping a drink with a fruity taste and name which seems hard to spell while gazing at the Mulattas gracing the beach from dawn 'till dusk... THAT's vacations, not LIFE. Living here is not so easy, locals and expatriates alike. For some, paradise has become hell quicker than they could spell either.
Read and research this forum.
Yes, if you come for the right reasons and approaching it without pink sunglasses on, life here can be nice here... but paradise? You got to die first to get there.

... J-D.

Reactions: Rocky and Lapurr

ct2830

Jun 6, 2009
A person mentioned that you may have fallen in love with your vacation, and that people are "vacationing" in your current location and falling in love with your area too. I think this deserves some further explanation:

I'm going to speak from my experience and perspective here. I live in a place in the US where it is cold and dark 6 months out of the year. That was amusing and nice for about 20 years, but the novelty has worn off. "paradise" has become, in my mind, a sunny tropical place. Now, that's not to say that after 20 yrs there I may want to return to a colder climate! I just might, but I shall have my paradise for 20 yrs at least ;)

As for tourists visiting my area and falling in love with it, thereby, why don't I appreciate what I have already? Well, yes, it is a good exercise to look at what I have in my own backyard so to speak and appreciate my comforts and security, and the 'natural beauty' here too. But in my mind the 'natural beauty' of the DR exceeds where I am in just about every way. Secondly, I can understand how living in a 'paradise' can make you become immune to it eventually, as many natives probably are. Alas, I am not a native of the DR, and have no immunity to that paradise.

Lastly, some say that they have moved to the DR and found it to be rough and not at all what they expected. I agree that people should rent down there for extended times before moving. For example, I'd like to rent for a summer, then maybe 6 months, and then finally decide to move down there.
I also think their troubles could be linked to financial issues, as some people try to live on a fixed income, or try to find work there and live off of that. These two options can easily turn into a hell, but if you are well funded, and have a good income, I don't see how the DR could turn sour, unless you are robbed / murdered etc. But even that is drowned with enough dollars in security etc.

Reactions: MikeFisher

Keiser777

Feb 18, 2008
paradise?

Hello all,

I recently visited the Dominican Republic on a short trip and fell in love! Oh, yes a woman was also involved! I am retired from Law Enforcement, raised two daughters and starting my 2nd yr of on my MSW (Masters in Social Work) with graduation in 05/10.

I'm ready to live life as it is meant to be and would love a chance to live in the DR. Anyone with advice on life, work and whatever else would be appreciated. I hope to return in Aug for more ground work. As I said, I have a retirement coming in and career ($) is not the priority here but, quality of life.

Scott

read a little bit this forum, then you will understand that rural Nebraska is much more of a paradise then DR, DR is full of crime like south Chicago.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Only a few people get to live in paradise. :bunny: They're all dead.

OK, you fell in love with the girl, the beach, the coconuts and what not. I can empathize. You are middle aged (right?) and the apparent attention given to you by the woman (girl?) flatters the heck out of a man's ego. Nice, I am glad for you.
Yet, let me remind you what your years in the law enforcement "biz" and your "social" skills studies have told, shown and proven to you over and over again:
Easy come, easy go.

You like the place? Fine, no issues with that. But did you not really only fall in love with your vacations? Likeliness has it, that where you are from, the place you are so hell bound to leave for paradise today, is being visited by tourists every day... some of them, would you believe, even fall in love with it. Now, you live there, so, you could not really understand why anybody would fall for what you are about to give up... but so it is here... by the 100 thousands.
Life here, is not like swinging in a hammock all day long, zipping a drink with a fruity taste and name which seems hard to spell while gazing at the Mulattas gracing the beach from dawn 'till dusk... THAT's vacations, not LIFE. Living here is not so easy, locals and expatriates alike. For some, paradise has become hell quicker than they could spell either.
Read and research this forum.
Yes, if you come for the right reasons and approaching it without pink sunglasses on, life here can be nice here... but paradise? You got to die first to get there.

... J-D.

The best, most realistic, clear advice I have probably ever seen on DR1!

Follow it and Hillbillys 3 rules for dating a Dominican.

sfbut

Jun 10, 2009
Not a flash in the pan!

J.D., thanks for the reality check and your points are well taken! The woman is just a minor part of the scheme of things and there are plenty of woman worldwide. I have lived and traveled all over the US during my time with the Government and have seen nothing that comes close to the DR. people in this country could learn a lot from getting outside our own borders. Certainly the DR has issues. But, last I knew so did the town I live in! And, I certainly know Life there, is not swinging in a hammock (didn?t see a hammock) all day long, and as far as hell ?It's what you make of it?, whereever you are! I?ll read the forums, ask questions and right now I am just laying the ground work. And, I don?t wear "pink" shades since I?ve seen reality here!

CT,

I grew up in a Northeastern Vacation destination and a family in the business. I too, have lived a life in a place in the US where it is cold and dark 6 months out of the year. That was amusing and nice when I played hockey, was a snowmobiler, skied and the novelty has worn off. "Paradise" is and has become sunny tropical place with out the daily BS. And partner if after 20 yrs there I want to return to a colder climate (commit me!)
As for some saying that they have moved to the DR and found it to be rough and not at all what they expected, I've been on the other end of Main Street here?Keep your advice coming in I appreciate all the help!

Scott

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Paradise is where you are and what you make of it.

The rest is just weather.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
A person mentioned that you may have fallen in love with your vacation, and that people are "vacationing" in your current location and falling in love with your area too. I think this deserves some further explanation:

I'm going to speak from my experience and perspective here. I live in a place in the US where it is cold and dark 6 months out of the year. That was amusing and nice for about 20 years, but the novelty has worn off. "paradise" has become, in my mind, a sunny tropical place. Now, that's not to say that after 20 yrs there I may want to return to a colder climate! I just might, but I shall have my paradise for 20 yrs at least ;)

As for tourists visiting my area and falling in love with it, thereby, why don't I appreciate what I have already? Well, yes, it is a good exercise to look at what I have in my own backyard so to speak and appreciate my comforts and security, and the 'natural beauty' here too. But in my mind the 'natural beauty' of the DR exceeds where I am in just about every way. Secondly, I can understand how living in a 'paradise' can make you become immune to it eventually, as many natives probably are. Alas, I am not a native of the DR, and have no immunity to that paradise.

Lastly, some say that they have moved to the DR and found it to be rough and not at all what they expected. I agree that people should rent down there for extended times before moving. For example, I'd like to rent for a summer, then maybe 6 months, and then finally decide to move down there.
I also think their troubles could be linked to financial issues, as some people try to live on a fixed income, or try to find work there and live off of that. These two options can easily turn into a hell, but if you are well funded, and have a good income, I don't see how the DR could turn sour, unless you are robbed / murdered etc. But even that is drowned with enough dollars in security etc.

Have I understood you well?? Let's wait and see what you'll say after you get robbed at gun point with the guy behind you without knowing wich gun will fire first and where. As for myself I enjoy spending my dollars in other things than D.R. security

Last edited:

ct2830

Jun 6, 2009
I've been robbed in the U.S. , and I've lived in ghettos. I know poor people and what it's like to be poor. But I've grown, and I know another life style now. I don't leave my house much these days as I work at home, and I would plan to have my house be a fortress in the DR, besides living in the best gated community. A million dollar price range is not out of the question if it means a higher standard of safety there. I'm lucky that I don't have to choose whether I spend my dollars on security or luxuries. It's not an either-or situation for me, that's why I say that some people who have had troubles might have also had economic troubles.

Reactions: mike l

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
These two options can easily turn into a hell, but if you are well funded, and have a good income, I don't see how the DR could turn sour, unless you are robbed / murdered etc. But even that is drowned with enough dollars in security etc.

You know what will get to you most (if you allow it to)? The length of time it takes to achieve things here. That happens to everyone. Robbery at gunpoint doesn't. Word to the wise, might I suggest you don't indicate being able to afford a million dollar pad on a public notice board? And when you get here, it's a good idea to exercise the same prudence. I know we don't know who you are now & you don't intend moving for 5 years but....if you continue researching & posting on DR1 it's quite likely that you will meet some expats on a visit here, maybe even begin looking for property. You don't want RE agents out there being able to read how rich you are because it might not be in your best interests ;).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
While I agree with all the cautious advice that people post here, I would also say... just do it. The weather is lovely, the cost of living is (imho) cheaper than the States, and you will have a great adventure, if nothing else. I still rent after 4 years and since the rents are reasonable here, this allows me the freedom to think about moving about .... say perhaps to another city or the campo or wherever. You will meet interesting people, and have a far more interesting life than if you stayed home.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to be a bit crude, for emphasis:
1) Ditch the b!tch, first
2) Take a deep breath, second
3) Read 10% of the threads in the Men are from Mars..... section
4) Use the "street smarts" that made you a successful 'gubmint' officer.
5) Ask why any "young thing" would really care about a man of your age. The answer is clear.
6) If you are wise, you will listen to what has been and will be said here. There are truly centuries of experience, and most of us want to see you happy. Hauling ashes is one thing, being happy is something else.

Be wise, go really slow...

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I you have a pension and some capital to put towrads buying a home/condo and transportation you can live well here.

The coastal areas or the capital have some positives such as many people speak English but there are many negatives such as higher crime and higher prices, especially for foreigners.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Coming from Paradise myself, that paradise known as the mountains of Maine, full of lakes, rivers, brooks, etc, plenty of steely yankees and too much snow...I know that the DR has quite an attraction for many of us from the north.

I have figured out for myself that the best thing about the DR is the SUNSHINE. I need more sun in my life. I do not need a Dominican man, but the sun is what draws me back. It literally affects my mental health in a good way.

If you have a pension, spend a month here, then two months. Then later three months. But don't lose what you have at home. Go to different places. I love small towns, but living in one was hard. I am a small town gal, but I know that my next extended stay has to be in a larger city.

Go slow. I tried to go slow, dove in, and moved home within a few months.

Will I be back? Yes, always. I learn every time and I am not dead from stupid choices. I will say none of my trips has been motivated by a relationship. That is a good thing.

Go with a plan, a budget, and a return ticket!!

Mar 2, 2008
"...the best thing about the DR is the SUNSHINE."
MaineGirl

I concur completely. LIGHT!!! - 12 hours of sunlight everyday (give or take an hour).

For those of us born and raised in light-barren New England, and particularly for those of us with SAD (Seasonal Affected Disorder), the sunlight in the DR is definitely a major consideration.

I could live with the cold and snow (although that gets old quickly also), but it is the lack of light for 9 months out of the year that most affects me.

Give me light, any day, everyday.

jake18

May 5, 2009
i can understand fullw your views mate i also am dateing a dominican woman people here told me to dump her etc. But the fact is they dont know her she could be 100% genuine because its a known fact dominicans find white people attractive summin to do with our stand out features and not always about the size of your wallet, also there are gold diggers in every country and its cheaper to have 1 in dr than us lol! but on a serious note mate you only have 1 life make sure if everything goes wrong you have summin to come back to in the us and if you find a decent job in dr then just find another girl by then you would be wise to the sanky panki stuff

i wish you all the best and have your own mind dont let people influence you in your final choice of action! good luck

*jake*

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Coming from Paradise myself, that paradise known as the mountains of Maine, full of lakes, rivers, brooks, etc, plenty of steely yankees and too much snow...I know that the DR has quite an attraction for many of us from the north.

I have figured out for myself that the best thing about the DR is the SUNSHINE. I need more sun in my life. I do not need a Dominican man, but the sun is what draws me back. It literally affects my mental health in a good way.

If you have a pension, spend a month here, then two months. Then later three months. But don't lose what you have at home. Go to different places. I love small towns, but living in one was hard. I am a small town gal, but I know that my next extended stay has to be in a larger city.

Go slow. I tried to go slow, dove in, and moved home within a few months.

Will I be back? Yes, always. I learn every time and I am not dead from stupid choices. I will say none of my trips has been motivated by a relationship. That is a good thing.

Go with a plan, a budget, and a return ticket!!

Good advice. A small town in the DR is NOT the same as small town in the USA.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I've been robbed in the U.S. , and I've lived in ghettos. I know poor people and what it's like to be poor. But I've grown, and I know another life style now. I don't leave my house much these days as I work at home, and I would plan to have my house be a fortress in the DR, besides living in the best gated community. A million dollar price range is not out of the question if it means a higher standard of safety there. I'm lucky that I don't have to choose whether I spend my dollars on security or luxuries. It's not an either-or situation for me, that's why I say that some people who have had troubles might have also had economic troubles.

I've never been robbed in the U.S., never lived in ghettos, never been poor and never had economic troubles. I did not have to choose between spending money on security or luxuries. I was just not interested to live in a fortress.

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
Hello all,

Scott

if you fall in love?
dont move her into your house
and dont move her into your house.

They want what you have? oh im sure youll find Ms Right, why dont you keep it to finding Ms right...NOW. use them, flick them

Im always amazed at how interested these Dr ppl are in the location and company name of our 401k or superannuation fund or savings accounts. keep your eyes open, because they- the DRwomen are out there looking for you
and dont move her into your house.