famous bani mangos. yummy (pictures)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
These big monsters I bought in santo domingo from a street vendor. These mangos are massive with a slim pit. I ate 1/2 of it and I was full. The cell phone is put next to the plate to judge the actual size of the mangos. In real life, they are huge.

33m1lcz.jpg

5tun1c.jpg

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
They do look good, AZB.

Does that particular mango have a name, and how much do they cost?

They come in even bigger sizes but I chose some semi hard mangos so I could eat them 2 days later. The ready-to-eat mangos were huge. They are called banilejos (spelling?). They come from bani and considered very special kind in DR. I paid 100 pesos for 3 big monsters. they are full of pulp and the seed is small and flat-slim. The fruit mass is so much that I was only able to eat 1/2 of a mango and I was full. They are sugar sweet (not to mention-organic).
AZB

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Look good. I myself am partial to the "gota de oro". Those yellow orangish ones that are hard to come by.

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
for the "serious"

mango "consumer" - acquire an "Oxo" Mango splitter..... a must have tool

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Mango fest here I come!

Chef Allen's Mango Martini

At Chef Allen's, July is Mango Madness month. We start by macerating hundreds of pounds of mangos in gallons of vodka, so we can put them up for the winter. We never want to let go of those bright, summer flavors. Use ripe mangos that have the sweet aroma of the tropics.

Serves 4

* Ice cubes
* 1 cup Mango Vodka (recipe follows)
* 2 twists of lime zest

Put the ice cubes in a shaker glass. Pour the vodka over the ice cubes and shake well. Strain into 2 well-chilled Martini glasses. Garnish each drink with a lime twist. Mango Vodka: Peel 3 ripe mangos, cut the flesh from the pit, and cut into large dice. Put the mangos in a clean 1 quart mason jar. Add 2 cups vodka and seal the jar. Let sit in a cool, dark place for 2 to 3 days before using. Store leftover vodka up to 5 days.

Makes 2 cups.

Chef Allen's > South Florida's Premiere Gourmet Restaurant > ChefAllens.com