New York City to DR in January 2010. Mixed messages from Dominicans.

NYC2DR

Nov 24, 2008
So I'm a 27 yr old Dominican/Black American Male. I have a Dominican father and Black Mother. I was raised as American and speak little Spanish, so basically I'm a black american with sof curly hair (Dominican hair).

I am a New Yorker (Manhattan, NYC) where I work as a Cancer Research Chemist. I live like a New Yorker. I'm no fool about crime etc, so that's no issues for me. I'll leave the "bling" in the US.

I'm used to having my own, making my own money, but I am very conscious about life and giving back, so I'm moving to the DR.

I am opening a healthcare clinic in a few years (in NYC) that will be geared toward lower-income people. It will be in a lower-income Latino neighborhood (primarily Dominican, Black and PR). With that in mind, I am moving to the DR in January 2010 to live there for a yr to become fluently bilingual. I ask my Dominican friends about DR and get mixed reviews about how I'll be perceived and that's why I'm here.

Why am I being warned about my brown skin and social life in DR?

Are the stereotypes true about not being treated the same as the next person because of my color?

What's the stero-type about Haitans?

What is a "gringo"?

I'm hearing that it's better to be "American" than a brownskin Dominican? Why?

Should I just say I'm American?

I plan to do cancer research while I'm there, but I would also like to volunteer and teach english, can anyone point me in the right direction?

So many questions, but that's enough for now. Respond and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
NYC2DR

NYC2DR

Nov 24, 2008
Thanks alot! Wow at what people are saying in there. I do have some interesting insight now...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
if you asked a similar question on a usa message board i think you would also get some wierd and wonderful answers- so best to take it all with a large pinch of salt

NYC2DR

Nov 24, 2008
if you asked a similar question on a usa message board i think you would also get some wierd and wonderful answers- so best to take it all with a large pinch of salt

LOL! I love this response. I def' don't mind taking it as a LARGE pinch of salt and experiencing it as it comes.

Thanks!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
From your post I assume that you have never been to the DR. Do you have family in the country? Where are you planning to live for the year that you plan to stay? If you have not spent time in the DR you will be surprised how different the culture is from that you find in the latino or black neighborhoods in the US. In fact, you will find that in some instances, even the Spanish language is spoken different and has, as is the case in most cultures, incorporated unique idioms and idiosyncrasies. Is it your intention to learn the language and culture of the DR and to transfer that knowledge to New York for use when you set up your clinic there in a few years?

NYC2DR

Nov 24, 2008
You are correct. I have never been to the DR. However, I am visiting for about a week in October to meet my host family etc. I'm staying with my friend's family (friends here in NYC). I am reading DR1 forum posts daily to gain some insight to the culture and mindset of people about the DR. I understand that there will be idioms and idiosyncrasies, but the host family are professional, so I think they will teach me well.