Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why am i an expat in DR?

Here is a question for all the members of DR1.
    There must be so many reasons to make someone leave one's cozy civilized westernized world and become a legal immigrant in Dominican Republic. I would be so glad if you guys shared your good thoughts about Dominican positive lifestyle. What do you like about the country, culture, people etc. that keeps you away from the place of your origin? I can see that Dominicans try to leave their country while Europeans and Americans fly in the opposite direction to take their place. There must be something more than just the sun, coral reefs, white sandy beaches and easy hot chicas. Or is it just them?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miozio View Post
    There must be so many reasons to make someone leave one's cozy civilized westernized world and become a legal immigrant in Dominican Republic. I would be so glad if you guys shared your good thoughts about Dominican positive lifestyle. What do you like about the country, culture, people etc. that keeps you away from the place of your origin? I can see that Dominicans try to leave their country while Europeans and Americans fly in the opposite direction to take their place. There must be something more than just the sun, coral reefs, white sandy beaches and easy hot chicas. Or is it just them?
    The single biggest reason I moved to the DR over eight years ago is the people. They are kind, caring, social, personal, mutually supportive and so many other things. Largely they are quite different from the indifferent, rude, anti-social types I've been around most of my life.

The second reason is also something of a double edged sword; the lack of too many rules and regulations. I am of the opinion that the US (where I am from) has gone nuts on rules, regulations and personal injury laws to the detriment of the lifestyle there. Obviously I wish there we a few more rules here but I would rather deal with less versus more at this point in life.

My two cents...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

you spoilt your post by mentioning easy hot chicas

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Castellemonte says about the US going nuts on rules and regulations and I can relly identify with that. I left the UK 5 years ago where not only were they going mad with their own rules but you can add to that the EU introducing their own unique form of bureaucracy plus the nanny state with all it's PC and, well here I am!!!!
    I have a much better lifestyle, out of the rat race and enjoying my life! SORRY ABOUT THE RANT LOL

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said, Black Dog. I suppose my first heading for living here should be "Escape from the EU."
    There is a collection of comparisons doing the rounds on emails and tea towels. Title something like " School in the 50's and school in the 00's" Dead right most of it.
    Other attractions are: Temperature( mind you today is a bit too hot and sticky), cost of living, lack of stupid rules and regulations, no tax for pensioners,nice people, pretty girls which fit into the song " Standing on the corner, watching all the girls go by". I'm here to stay!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrhartley View Post
    you spoilt your post by mentioning easy hot chicas
    This is the main reason a lot of people I know came here.
    Sometimes it was a reason for them not going home from here.
    It is rarely a reason for staying long term and making a success out of it though.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The second time I visited the DR it felt like coming home. By the third visit it was home.

Lots of previous threads on this, miozio, a couple to get you started searching:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/663...e-live-dr.html

http://http://www.dr1.com/forums/gen...sages-dr1.html

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i came to DR to be with miesposo, simple as that. i have been a stranger in a strange land anyways as i have lived in london for quite a few years.
    cheap girls do nothing for me, i'm afraid
    after a long period of complaining about DR (as many on this board will remember) i got used to this culture and dominican way of life. but should i ever part with miesposo i'd leave this island and start somewhere else. so many places to visit!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Some go for the weather and the laid back life style and others do so because they are dodging taxes or the law in their own country.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

many do not need more to call a spot "paradise".
    but be assured that this Island has to offer much more.
    visit the mountain areas, visit cascades dropping of high elevations at non tourist spots, spend a few weeks in a lil pueblo off the beaten paths(not with a hot chic who 'invited' you to visit her hometown), enjoy the beauty of the dry southwest around Barahona, dive in carneval in santo domingo, aso.

Quote Originally Posted by Castellamonte View Post
    The single biggest reason I moved to the DR over eight years ago is the people. They are kind, caring, social, personal, mutually supportive and so many other things. Largely they are quite different from the indifferent, rude, anti-social types I've been around most of my life.

The second reason is also something of a double edged sword; the lack of too many rules and regulations. I am of the opinion that the US (where I am from) has gone nuts on rules, regulations and personal injury laws to the detriment of the lifestyle there. Obviously I wish there we a few more rules here but I would rather deal with less versus more at this point in life.

My two cents...
    yes, they are. but not only here on the Island.
    there are all sorts of 'people' here like everywhere else,
    it just depends within which surroundings somebody decides to live.

lack of rules,
    yes,
    that's a doublesided sword.
    you need time to get used to that part of dominican life.
    i like it myself the way it is,
    most reach sooner or later a point where they cry out loud for a law/rule/aso b/c they got hit the way where they wished to have mommy's homecountry protection.

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I can put it simply. I came here from the US because it is different here and I wanted different. It is different in more ways than I could have imagined, but I have adapted as best I can.
    that's exactly my main reason why i finally settled down here over 14 years ago.
    it's DIFFERENT.
    it's different in case of rules.
    it's different in climate.
    it's different in any way of life compared to home.
    it's Beautiful, because it's different.
    if life would be a book the homecountry would be just the first chapter.
    we have to finish the book to know the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by pedrochemical View Post
    This is the main reason a lot of people I know came here.
    Sometimes it was a reason for them not going home from here.
    It is rarely a reason for staying long term and making a success out of it though.
    so true for many,
    on others just the reason for the first step,
    for many there are other reasons to come to be described in following posts here.

welcome to Paradise,
    wherever you feel it is.
    Mike
    Last edited by MikeFisher; 06-11-2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: typos, sorry

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast