Dominican Swine Flu (H1N1) BS alert (wrong drugs being sold)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I have been trying to get some Tamiflu (Roche, Oseltamivir), the drug being touted to help cure from H1N1 here in Puerto Plata, since the local news announced a couple of days ago that the DR government had imported I don't know how many 100's of thousands of pills or boxes.

Well, I have to the date not yet found one single farmacy which carries it here in Puerto Plata or Sosua.

Most "pharmacist" don't even know what it is and when explained, they refer to GABIRLOL (Rimantadine, sold in the US under the name FLUMADINE) for around 600 Pesos a 14 pill pack. "E' lo mi'mo!" it's or it does the same... "... just take plenti ahead of time it will raise your "defences" (imune system)", they all said.

Well BULL$HITT!

All "literature" I can find on the net would indicate that, while most swine influenza viruses have been susceptible to Rimantadine and it's parallel drug Amantadine, the most recent swine influenza viruses isolated from humans are resistant to
Rimantadine and Amantadine!

I don't know if Tamiflu is readily available to the public in the two major cities and I would welcome if somebody could point towards pharmacies which sell it.

... J-D.

PS: No, I / we have NOT been infected (yet).

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Apparantly tamiflu would be administered only by the govt. so don't bother trying to buy it. Also ther are reports of fake Tamiflu going around, so if you do find it, be weary. Don't be mad at the pharmacist, as far as I know they are not required to be actual pharmacists, they are just usually people who work at the pharmacy.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Rcognizing counterfit Tamiflu

Internet Purchasing Guidelines

• Be wary of very low or very high prices ? the average cost for TAMIFLU is $80 to $90 for a course of treatment. Anything below or above that amount should be a red flag.
  • Beware of advertisements, Web sites and e?mails that ask you to waive your legal rights in order to participate in their prescription program.

Instructions for Inspecting a TAMIFLU Package

• Check for altered or unsealed containers, or changes in the packaging or label.
  • TAMIFLU comes in a white cardboard box with the wording TAMIFLU 30 mg, 45 mg, or 75 mg written clearly on the front.
  • The box contains a single blister package containing 10 TAMIFLU capsules, which are a distinct yellow and light grey color.
  • Each blister contains one capsule which can be seen through the transparent outer layer.
  • Each blister is printed on the aluminum foil of the reverse side with the words TAMIFLU Capsules 30 mg, 45 mg, or 75 mg.
  • The batch number on the outside packaging should match the batch number on the inner packaging.
Actual TAMIFLU Product (U.S.) Sample Counterfeit Product
tamiflu_counterfeit.jpg

... J-D.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
interesting info J.D. to check what's genuine and what's fake.
hopefully i never need to find out such, lol.

hey buddy,
why such panic to purchase without a case in the family the meds for a simple virus like the H1N1?
there are so many and more dangerous viruses outtha on the streets of the globe that we would need a private pharmacy at home to have the antiflu's for each stuff handy in case we get caught.

but great info for everybody involved to check what's right and what's the wrong stuff.
good luck
Mike

Feb 7, 2007
I read several times in a paper Salud Publica saying the antiviral drugs for AH1N1 will be given for FREE to the infected people. They also didn't want to distribute via Pharmacies for fears of abuse (these meds should be given for free). You need a medical prescription for anti-AH1N1 drugs, you won't be able to get/buy/receive one without an Rx.

I guess anybody who is infected would be able to get the necessary drugs by contacting local Salud Publica office.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
There is an ad this morning from Farmax in the Diario Libre (page 27) advertising the sale of the Tamiflu for $2625 pesos (sold only with doctor’s prescription)

3618763951_70438b7a19.jpg

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I read several times in a paper Salud Publica saying the antiviral drugs for AH1N1 will be given for FREE to the infected people. They also didn't want to distribute via Pharmacies for fears of abuse (these meds should be given for free). You need a medical prescription for anti-AH1N1 drugs, you won't be able to get/buy/receive one without an Rx.

I guess anybody who is infected would be able to get the necessary drugs by contacting local Salud Publica office.

I haven't heard or read anything about ANYBODY having been treated in the DR with Tamiflu in the DR yet. Which would collaborate that it may indeed be a government "program". :ermm:
The DR currently has one of the world wide highest death-to-infection ratio. Again, :tired:

hey buddy,
why such panic to purchase without a case in the family the meds for a simple virus like the H1N1?
there are so many and more dangerous viruses outtha on the streets of the globe that we would need a private pharmacy at home to have the antiflu's for each stuff handy in case we get caught.
Mike

First, no panic... just getting organized. Tamiflu is not only effective against swine flu... it can be used against other flu infections except bid flu.
Tamiflu can be used on a prophylactic basis. I will soon take several flights around the world, all thru infected countries. One infected person on one flight = you're likely to catch it.
I have two more people in the house, all socializing with different people. I would also like to know exactly WHERE and HOW I can get some if something happens to the girls I send to school. If somebody in your family or immediate circle catches the virus, you will want to have some too on a prophylactic basis. Does the government "program" provide for that... the recent explosion of cases in the DR would indicate that NO.

Then, the above. I am not a strong believer in the efficiency of government programs, especially in this country. The numbers made public so far seem to show it is not. Tamiflu has to be taken AS SOON as you feel the FIRST SYMPTOMS. Within 48 hrs! There is no time for doubt, for waiting in line, getting the run-around and the usual blah blah and "e lo mismo" BS.

I don't think we need to rush out an buy a stash of it, but it should be available quick, very quick and EVERYWHERE to EVERYONE, not just a few government connected goons in Santo Domingo.

... J-D.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
"I haven't heard or read anything about ANYBODY having been treated in the DR with Tamiflu in the DR yet. Which would collaborate that it may indeed be a government "program".
The DR currently has one of the world wide highest death-to-infection ratio. Again,"

You do know that the only person in DR to die was pregnant, had acute tuberulosis, and a heart condition. I really don't think it was the flu that killed her.

One thing to keep in mind, viruses strike people who are stressed out hardest. It's true, so I prescribe a nice dose of presidente, and lounging by the beach or pool.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I may be mistaken, but I would be venture to reckon that my parents have La Roche stock too. La Roche is one of the largest drug companies in the world... also with one of the longest history. Now, one could want to suspect that I try to plug Tamiflu all over the net to help my parents make a buck or two on their investments... but then... :cheeky:
I don't like Rumsfeld any more than the majority of people, but I guess, people have stock in companies in the hopes of making a profit, so what!

... J-D.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
how many dead dominican swineflu victims has the Island on record til now?
i did not realize that we had enough infected and in comparison to their number enogh dead people who died from the swineflu to make a reasonable infection-dead-ratio statistic.
how many died?
in a country which is a magnet for visitors from all infected countries on daily bases.
Mike

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If there's a limited supply then I think it's better the government controls it as otherwise those who can afford it will hoard it to the detriment of the poorest. Of course those connected with government officials will get THEIR stash to have just in case, but still it ensures SOME is available to the general population.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
government program life!

I took a woman to the "social" hospital in Puerto Plata yesterday. If you like to believe in government health programs in THIS country, that's a place worth while visiting, btw.
She had all the symptoms; headache, cold shivers, bone aches, fever. No precautionary measures were taken in handling her, not even the personnel. Could have been a flu, her period, or... the real deal.
I asked if they were going to test her. They did not answer clearly and then nailed her with 2cc of Diclofenac (Voltaren) right where you think and told her to come back next week if she'd get worse (which would be too late for a Tamiflu treatment if she could have benefitted from it).

:cheeky: little government program for you. Fogitabouit.

There is no need to stash it, just keep it clearly available. Those who want to buy it, make them pay double (like everything else here) to help pay for those the "social" hospitals hand out.

... J-D.

Last edited:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Anyway, this thread was not meant to debate the gov., the validity of treatment or even Rummi's and my parent's portfolios, but to warn of the fact that some pharmacist, for the lack of knowing better or anything, are peddeling the wrong drug and that fakes of the real deal have popped up all around the globe and to share some of the ways to recognize them.

I thank juanita for posting an outlet in Santo Domingo and Santiago. The prescription need is to be issued by an MD with government prescriptions (like for controled, addictive substances), I understand.

Case death ratio: There are various numbers, ranging from 1 to 14 dead in the DR. I think that here, it will be especially difficult to ever know the truth. The gov. has no interest in declaring this a disaster zone (riots, medication abuse, tourism etc.). And many may fade into history unaccounted for, for the lack of knowledge and resources.

... J-D.