jobs you have in the DR,what you do? and how you did it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake18

May 5, 2009
hello i am making this thread to ask a simple question. What jobs do you people living in the Dominican Republic do? how you did it? and why you did it? and do you have any regrets? this will help people with ideas on what jobs are avalible here and how to go about filling the job market with skilled people wanteing to live the "dream" and i said it like that because everyone has different ideas of the word dream.

Last edited by a moderator:

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
hello i am making this thread to ask a simple question. What jobs do you people living in dominican do? how you did it? and why you did it? and do you have any regrets? this will help people with ideas on what jobs are avalible here and how to go about filling the job market with skilled people wanteing to live the "dream" and i said it like that because everyone has different ideas of the word dream.

ive seen this question here before and im going to tell you straight
noone is going to tell you that. why becuase its none of your business and very much a trade secret. think about it; if you have a great business in the dr are you going to tell another person that your doing well, only to have them think ill start the same business myself. I doubt you would!

you care about filling the job market with skilled people???? excuse me!!!! How very caring of you. There is no job market here for skilled people, unless you want to earn 8000rd a month. Yes, you are doing just that.............DREAMING!!!!

Bottom line you need this much money at least to make a living and survive nicely here ( this is ony one way to do it)
$200000 with Anoeca @ 15% interest on your US dollars= $30000.00 annual interest or $2400 a month.
own your apartment or house outright........!!!

i know ppl here trying to sell real estate....and have NO MONEY BECAUSE NOONE IS BUYING. i hear about their hardships daily, always looking for something cheaper (rent, food,cars etc). Is this your dream????

The following is my opinion; poor assed foriegners with incomes of $200-$500 a mth have no place in the DR. you see these drop-kicks everywhere; first the strike a conversation with you; 10 minutes later they are asking for a beer, and maybe a $1000rd loan. Their ass is hanging out of their pants and they loot like $hit...........is this your dream

The DR is for those that do not need to 'dream' like you; the DR is for the wealthy, those that dont need to worry about where their dough or next pay-check is coming from, it is for those that like to laze around their private estate pool and have dinner with 2 beautiful women every night of the week at any of the restaurants at anytime of day.........because they CAN!! Kind of like me really..........forget it man, if you dream...thats all you'll be doing!!!

Reactions: Celt202

jake18

May 5, 2009
lol people like you should get banned from these forums, second i know what i am doing to live in dominican nicely so you dont say stuff about me dreaming when mine is reality you fool! mr big shot! i ask a simple question dont spam my thread with your stupid essay on why its all a dream you are no better than man if anything i am twice the person you will ever be so dont post on my thread again because your thought are not welcome!

as for the secret bit, that is why countries never get developed because the lack of skilled people DR need proffesionals so stfu again lol really you are so stupid

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Do agree with Billy that people will not tell you how they became successful you have to find out things on your own.
What you want from life and what you want to do to achieve your goals?
If you think that they are waiting here for skilled foreigners then forget it even though they could use them.
Check Aldaba.com and then you?ll know what they need.
Ciao

jake18

May 5, 2009
fair point, but you know some people are willing to help with job oppotunities no harm in asking but i am not putting up with abusive talk like that on my thread is totally wrong if you dont want to give positive views here dont say anything because they are not welcome

do i really need someone telling me no one will tell you anything? lol i dont think so, so please dont waste your time tnx. :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
lol people like you should get banned from these forums, second i know what i am doing to live in dominican nicely so you dont say stuff about me dreaming when mine is reality you fool! mr big shot! i ask a simple question dont spam my thread with your stupid essay on why its all a dream you are no better than man if anything i am twice the person you will ever be so dont post on my thread again because your thought are not welcome!

as for the secret bit, that is why countries never get developed because the lack of skilled people DR need proffesionals so stfu again lol really you are so stupid

Is that jake the 18 year old Englishman whom we were all trying to help when he first started posting a month or so ago? Jake, people won't be so empathic if you tell a poster to stfu. You can disagree without being impolite. And actually there is some truth in billyidol's post. It is a public forum, so you have no control over who posts on 'your' thread nor what they post. The only people who have are the Mods. & Robert.

To answer your question, I'm now retired but I did work when we first moved here from UK 16+ years ago: tour guide, journalist, teacher, self employed running B&B. How? networking, being in right place at right time. Why? Well we decided to move here so I needed to work. Regrets? Not one.

Btw the skills I imported & my previous career in UK (probation officer & University social work teacher) had very little to do with the jobs I got here. Except being a probation officer was useful for the B&B.........;)

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
ive seen this question here before and im going to tell you straight!

Hey . . It's a nice day for a white wedding!!!

Apart from the (intentional?) spelling mistakes in your reply I'd like to ask you a couple of little Q's (if you don't mind):-

1 - Do you live in the Dominican Republic? [I only put it in italics because, one of the first things I appreciated upon joining DR1, was that DR was frowned upon].

2 - What U on? Cos your fingers are typing faster than your brain!

IMHO

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Guys, take a deep breath: the OP asked a legitimate question. I'd say we could provide him with some factual answers about typical occupations without revealing "trade secrets".

jake18 - welcome to DR1. Just to point out for a lot of us here calling the country (full name the Dominican Republic, or the DR for short) "dominican" or "the dominican" is like a red rag to a bull, so I will amend your post. :)

You will also find a lot of answers if you read some existing posts on the subject. Some expats have their own businesses, some teach, others are in real estate, call centres, international development organisations, tourism industry...

jake18

May 5, 2009
what a nice post for a change! someone who knows where i am comming from thanks, nice to know i am not hated by everyone in this forum for wanting to change my life lol anyways i will take a look at the old posts aswell tbh with you i totally forgot about previous posts

have a nice day!

jake

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
Hey . . It's a nice day for a white wedding!!!

Apart from the (intentional?) spelling mistakes in your reply I'd like to ask you a couple of little Q's (if you don't mind):-

Im not wrting a thesis here

1 - Do you live in the Dominican Republic? [I only put it in italics because, one of the first things I appreciated upon joining DR1, was that DR was frowned upon].
whaaaaaat, whatever that means

2 - What U on? Cos your fingers are typing faster than your brain!

says you, a person of no reputeIMHO

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

see above potato head

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
fair point, but you know some people are willing to help with job oppotunities no harm in asking

there is harm in asking this particular type of question. if someone tells you their business secrets they are HARMING themselves. because 2 seconds later jake the potato head arrives in the DR to open an identical business

but i am not putting up with abusive talk like that on my thread is totally wrong if you dont want to give positive views here dont say anything because they are not welcome

whose being f"#king abusive, i take umbrage with being referred to as an abusive f"#ka by this possessive nitwit

do i really need someone telling me no one will tell you anything? lol i dont think so, so please dont waste your time tnx. :)

jake see above

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
billyidol, I wasn't sure if reidy was replying to you or the OP. It was confusing.

And WRT your replies to the OP, if you don't want to reveal sensitive information, you don't need to. If others want to share their experiences in general terms, they're free to do so.

The OP accepted that he needs to do some reading and get to know the ways of this forum. Maybe he can come back with a more thoughtful thread-opener and we can have a useful discussion here, but in the meantime I'm going to have to close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.