Dog bites and tetanus

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Husband leaves at 6am. Leaves door open. Dogs enter. (Never allowed inside). Cat with kittens in wardrobe. Cat leaves wardrobe and flies spitting and scratching at dogs. Matilda wakes up and tries to separate cat and dogs. Cat thinks matildas leg is a dog. Dogs think other leg is the cat. Final score: Dogs 2 (no injuries), cat 1 (1 small puncture hole in back leg), Matilda 0. Around 15 tooth holes (or is it teeth holes) in right leg and foot, around 4 or 5 more than an inch deep.cat scratches on other leg. Kittens slept through the whole thing as only babies can.

Question one. Worth having a tetanus jab or is that just for rusty nails? last one ran out in 2006.
Question two. Do you think they would have given me one when I was shot?? In which case no need for another one.
Question three: assume antibiotics???

Dominican answer is go to local public hospital for rabies, tetanus, analyses and all the works. As usual I ignore them when it comes to medical things.

Anyone any thoughts on dog bites? In the meantime am using Brugal as interior antiseptic and painkiller.

matilda

PS. All husbands fault for leaving door open

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I was in a very similar situation recently. Rabies? depends if you know the full history of the dog and if it has it's shots. I'd recommend keeping tetanus up to date anyway and a course of antibiotics just to be safe, dogs mouths are not exactly a sterile environment. Hope you're not in too much pain!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I am a strong believer in keeping all shots up to date where at all possible.

Suggested course of action
1. get tetanus asap
2. arrange for Rabies as soon as present pain permits

3. SHOOT HUSBAND :cheeky: ;) ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
They're your dogs so you would know whether they have rabies & whether they've had vaccinations!

Tetanus isn't just for rusty nails. No idea whether they gave you one when you got shot. Coverage lasts 10 years but decreases in potency after 5. No don't assume antibiotics unless you have an infection. Use alcohol to clean wounds, keep clean & you probably won't get an infection.

It's no help now, but for last 40+ years I've had the works on shots, including rabies, I keep them current so when something like this occurs, no worries.

Tetanus can incubate for up to 2 months but you'd normally get some signs in 2 weeks. If you can't open your mouth and you start contorting uncontrollably it would have been a good idea to have had a tetanus shot ;).

Tetanus (Lockjaw) Causes, Symptoms, Signs, Vaccine, Treatment on MedicineNet.com

Tetanus tips on MedicineNet.com

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Think we must be trying to compete on the animal disaster programme, Matilda!

Go with advice given and I understand that 151 is the best antiseptic that money can buy - adminstered externally!

Hope the hurt soon subsides and the animals are duly sorry for such a silly mistake on their part.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
For the wounds dont let them stitched. They should be treated as a war wound and left open.

Speaking from experience

Johan

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Damn
I should have asked you guys when I got bit last week. I went to the clinic, no rabies cos it was my dog, tetanus is up to date, I DID take the antibiotics but I never even thought of the 151 lol

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Dogs don't have rabies and are vaccinated so that is OK. What I should have stated more clearly is:

Does anyone know if it is standard procedure here to give tetanus after being shot as I have no idea.

Does anyone know of any cases of tetanus in this country???

And Bushbaby thanks for your advice re husband which I am very seriously considering

matilda

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Does anyone know if it is standard procedure here to give tetanus after being shot as I have no idea.

Does anyone know of any cases of tetanus in this country???

And Bushbaby thanks for your advice re husband which I am very seriously considering

matilda

Most recent tetanus stats I could find were for 2000 'In 2000, 4 cases of neonatal tetanus were reported; 102 cases of non-neonatal tetanus were reported, 1997-2000'
http://www.paho.org/English/DD/AIS/cp_214.htm

102 over 3 years = approx 35 a year. Not a lot! Whether these are accurate stats I have no way of knowing. You could do some research on this if you wished.

Doubt if any of us know if it is standard practice to give a tetanus jab after being shot, unless a surgeon is posting here on DR1. And whether standard or not, whether they did in your case is a different question. If your mum brought out all your jabs when she visited, now might be a good time to get at least the tetanus one done. No panic, when you have the time apart from the time you'll need for target practice to make aim in husband's direction more accurate.............:cheeky:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Back in the 90's there were some heavy campaigns countrywide against the tetanus, vaccinating everybody (I remember well because when they went to my house I would run and hide with my life, didn't like those pins).

I would take the tetanus vaccine and get all the blood work done. If you are sure that there's no rabbies in your dogs-cats then there's no need for it.

But hey I'm Dominican so you may want to put this into the section of Dominican answers...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
apparently a high calorie diet (4000 calories a day) is a part of tetanus treatment. i think you may start it now as a preventative measure. increase the intake of brugal followed by chocolate cake.
do not shot the husband. poison is more discreet and way cleaner.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
pero

apparently a high calorie diet (4000 calories a day) is a part of tetanus treatment. i think you may start it now as a preventative measure. increase the intake of brugal followed by chocolate cake.
do not shot the husband. poison is more discreet and way cleaner.

but before shooting the husband or giving the poison, please slap woman who thought she was god and got in the middle of the cat/dog fight with out proper safeguards, you know pants shoes, up side the head, then take it out on the husband, for you making a bad decision. Matilda you have lived here too long your now blaming others for your mistake, :bunny::bunny::ermm:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Ok. will slap myself for being silly, but was 7am and was sleeping and had no contact lenses in. So couldn't tell which was dog and which was cat. And will poison husband instead of shooting him. Any idea how????

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was told those red fruits from palm trees are poisonous? other than that i suggest extracting nicotine from cigars - no smell, taste or colour.
and shave your legs, matilda, you know, if they are less furry maybe dogs and cats will not mistake your pins for animal limbs... :cheeky:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
And will poison husband instead of shooting him. Any idea how????
If you have being following all the good advice on this thread you will have been relieving many glass BRUGAL bottles of their contents. Why not ground those up into fine powder & introduce (small doses at first but more liberally later on) into husbands favourite dish?

If you think there is any possibility of an autopsy being carried out after his demise, put senakot (sp?) into every fourth meal to 'clean out' the evidence!! :pirate: :ermm:

Trust the 'Old Man' has been suitably chastised by now & is hanging on your every need!! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Ok. will slap myself for being silly, but was 7am and was sleeping and had no contact lenses in.

Ah! Memo to self time! Always insert contact lenses on being woken by cat-dog fight. Next don body armour. Next have swig of Brugal. Next pick up pieces of fur to distinguish between demised animals and fighting ones. Then & only then sort out cat-dog fight.

Can I suggest a slogan for Mr.M's political campaign 'Security at home begins with SHUTTING THE DOOR!'

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Actually cat bites/scratches and dog bites have a very high incidence of infection (almost 100%) so YES to a good antibiotic and start them before any sign of infection. Also make sure none of the injuries involve joints in your foot (ankle or toes).

Bob K

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
well...i cant see the need of a tetenus shot for a minor dog bite. If you are up to date on your shots you should be just fine. a dogs mouth is actually much more sanitary than a humans.

As one poster pointed out...a tet shot lasts for ten years...so if you havent had one its a good idea just in case. Not really for the dog bite...but just for general protection.

I am no doctor...but that is who you should ask. a doctor! I am sure some antibiotics cant hurt.

Now about husband...thats a whole different story!

Wish you well and hope that you heal soon.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Note to Matilda: BobK is/was MD...take his advice.

Watch cat. You are sure about dogs, did cat have her shots?

Note to self. Do not allow cat in house. In fact do not have cat.

HB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
well...i cant see the need of a tetenus shot for a minor dog bite.

With respect, jrzyguy, does this really sound like a 'minor' dog bite?

"Around 15 tooth holes (or is it teeth holes) in right leg and foot, around 4 or 5 more than an inch deep, cat scratches on other leg."