Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dog bites and tetanus

Husband leaves at 6am. Leaves door open. Dogs enter. (Never allowed inside). Cat with kittens in wardrobe. Cat leaves wardrobe and flies spitting and scratching at dogs. Matilda wakes up and tries to separate cat and dogs. Cat thinks matildas leg is a dog. Dogs think other leg is the cat. Final score: Dogs 2 (no injuries), cat 1 (1 small puncture hole in back leg), Matilda 0. Around 15 tooth holes (or is it teeth holes) in right leg and foot, around 4 or 5 more than an inch deep.cat scratches on other leg. Kittens slept through the whole thing as only babies can.

Question one. Worth having a tetanus jab or is that just for rusty nails? last one ran out in 2006.
    Question two. Do you think they would have given me one when I was shot?? In which case no need for another one.
    Question three: assume antibiotics???

Dominican answer is go to local public hospital for rabies, tetanus, analyses and all the works. As usual I ignore them when it comes to medical things.

Anyone any thoughts on dog bites? In the meantime am using Brugal as interior antiseptic and painkiller.

matilda

PS. All husbands fault for leaving door open

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in a very similar situation recently. Rabies? depends if you know the full history of the dog and if it has it's shots. I'd recommend keeping tetanus up to date anyway and a course of antibiotics just to be safe, dogs mouths are not exactly a sterile environment. Hope you're not in too much pain!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a strong believer in keeping all shots up to date where at all possible.

Suggested course of action
    1. get tetanus asap
    2. arrange for Rabies as soon as present pain permits

3. SHOOT HUSBAND ~ Grahame.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

They're your dogs so you would know whether they have rabies & whether they've had vaccinations!

Tetanus isn't just for rusty nails. No idea whether they gave you one when you got shot. Coverage lasts 10 years but decreases in potency after 5. No don't assume antibiotics unless you have an infection. Use alcohol to clean wounds, keep clean & you probably won't get an infection.

It's no help now, but for last 40+ years I've had the works on shots, including rabies, I keep them current so when something like this occurs, no worries.

Tetanus can incubate for up to 2 months but you'd normally get some signs in 2 weeks. If you can't open your mouth and you start contorting uncontrollably it would have been a good idea to have had a tetanus shot .

Tetanus (Lockjaw) Causes, Symptoms, Signs, Vaccine, Treatment on MedicineNet.com

Tetanus tips on MedicineNet.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Think we must be trying to compete on the animal disaster programme, Matilda!

Go with advice given and I understand that 151 is the best antiseptic that money can buy - adminstered externally!

Hope the hurt soon subsides and the animals are duly sorry for such a silly mistake on their part.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

For the wounds dont let them stitched. They should be treated as a war wound and left open.

Speaking from experience

Johan

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn
    I should have asked you guys when I got bit last week. I went to the clinic, no rabies cos it was my dog, tetanus is up to date, I DID take the antibiotics but I never even thought of the 151 lol

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs don't have rabies and are vaccinated so that is OK. What I should have stated more clearly is:

Does anyone know if it is standard procedure here to give tetanus after being shot as I have no idea.

Does anyone know of any cases of tetanus in this country???

And Bushbaby thanks for your advice re husband which I am very seriously considering

matilda

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    Does anyone know if it is standard procedure here to give tetanus after being shot as I have no idea.

Does anyone know of any cases of tetanus in this country???

And Bushbaby thanks for your advice re husband which I am very seriously considering

matilda
    Most recent tetanus stats I could find were for 2000 'In 2000, 4 cases of neonatal tetanus were reported; 102 cases of non-neonatal tetanus were reported, 1997-2000'
    http://www.paho.org/English/DD/AIS/cp_214.htm

102 over 3 years = approx 35 a year. Not a lot! Whether these are accurate stats I have no way of knowing. You could do some research on this if you wished.

Doubt if any of us know if it is standard practice to give a tetanus jab after being shot, unless a surgeon is posting here on DR1. And whether standard or not, whether they did in your case is a different question. If your mum brought out all your jabs when she visited, now might be a good time to get at least the tetanus one done. No panic, when you have the time apart from the time you'll need for target practice to make aim in husband's direction more accurate.............

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in the 90's there were some heavy campaigns countrywide against the tetanus, vaccinating everybody (I remember well because when they went to my house I would run and hide with my life, didn't like those pins).

I would take the tetanus vaccine and get all the blood work done. If you are sure that there's no rabbies in your dogs-cats then there's no need for it.

But hey I'm Dominican so you may want to put this into the section of Dominican answers...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast