Santiago major traffic problems

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
What's happening? It would appear that the new throughway's overpass and tunnel are crumbling. Anyone from there have an update? I just got back from there. What a ****ing traffic mess.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What's happening? It would appear that the new throughway's overpass and tunnel are crumbling. Anyone from there have an update? I just got back from there. What a ****ing traffic mess.

Yeah I'd like to know too, heck I even didn't know we had a tunnel!

What tunnel and overpass are you talking about?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Yeah I'd like to know too, heck I even didn't know we had a tunnel!

What tunnel and overpass are you talking about?

Road from Hache's towards the university, Price Smart etc. The section of that same road that runs under the autopista. This road was closed between the University and Hache. I saw a big section that "caved in" . Scary crap after only a few years.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

That's not the only problems here in Santiago.

Some of the major arteries are so bad that you practically need a 4x4 to get through. The "M" car is the one that runs a circle around the city and there are spots that they were using the other side of the road because the holes were so deep. I look in amazement everyday and wonder how the major routes can be so bad and not be maintained. How can the transportation unions not demand the rapid repair of these routes? Guess they are no better then the government, collect taxes and dues but do nothing to help the people.

Thanks for the heads-up, supposed to be heading to La Vega this morning, that should be fun getting out of Santiago (Or back in).

Don

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, a forty year old sewer collapsed after years of overloaded semis rolled over it...like that never happens in the "developed world" ....???

A major mess for traffic, that is for sure...

Fortunately, for us locals, there ARE ways around it...

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
there are police check points all over santiago at night. They are frisking tigres for weapons and checking papers for their vehicles.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Road from Hache's towards the university, Price Smart etc. The section of that same road that runs under the autopista. This road was closed between the University and Hache. I saw a big section that "caved in" . Scary crap after only a few years.

That is not exactly true. I crossed over la E Sadhala last night on la Ave Argentina, only a short distance from the intersection with the autopista, and the road was open.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Speaking of major problems here in Santiago, the wife and the kids are in the campo and I'm all alone, so I have to eat all by myself, what a bummer. :)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
That is not exactly true. I crossed over la E Sadhala last night on la Ave Argentina, only a short distance from the intersection with the autopista, and the road was open.
Maybe they roreopened the underground part because yesterday the underground part and the area where the big hole is were closed. You could trravel on the other parts. Which by the way made things even worst. Going from 3 lanes to 1 twice. Lol.

By the way AZB the police could also start clamping down on the beggars. Little kids come up to cars on the highway, women with kids on the streets etc. I was hit on by beggars in Santiago more in a few hours than in Sosua in a whole week.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here's a map of the area of concern. It looks like one might be able to do a detour through the university when the gates are open.

35hfqmq.jpg

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The damage portion appeared to be on Estrella Sadaha (sp?) between Hollywood movie theater and Codetel (also known as Verizon, Claro) in the direction from the Movie theater going toward Codetel (also known as Verizon, Claro).

I saw no other areas blocked off on my way to Jarabacoa this morning coming from Supermercado Nacional and going toward Hollywood theater and PUCMM and then getting on the Autopista.....

Yeah, a forty year old sewer collapsed after years of overloaded semis rolled over it...like that never happens in the "developed world" ....???
40 years old, something in the DR lasted that long? WOW! ;) lol

Don

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Well HB did, longer in fact. Plus the odd cathedral or two, museum or two, plus even our old house in the centre of PP which was 100 years old this year.

Now, don't everyone lose their "Laughing Ear", just joking.

We have a friend that has a historic house in Santiago.
We know it's historic because the city will not allow them to upgrade it,
and they even paint it free for them.

Don

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i sat in traffic all from plaza optimus to e sadhala on my way home from the hospital yesterday. finally someone smart sent an amet to clear out the intersection. those lights are so ill-timed anyway without the street problems to add to the congestion.

i've noticed the PN out at all hours of the day walking back and forth at the intersection of 27 and e sadhala - just checking cars.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Came back from S.D. on the Metro this afternoon. Sat.; 6/18 about 1 PM.

Traffic a little backed up around the area above "hole", on/exit ramps. Backhoe digging up about 100 feet up the road from the hole in the center divide. One lane traffic both sides and moved along just fine.

Nothing seen or noted being any different as we exited to the lower streets just past the "hole". Traffic congenstion was a little backed up but nothing to be concerned about while we passed.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Came back from S.D. on the Metro this afternoon. Sat.; 6/18 about 1 PM.

Traffic a little backed up around the area above "hole", on/exit ramps. Backhoe digging up about 100 feet up the road from the hole in the center divide. One lane traffic both sides and moved along just fine.

Nothing seen or noted being any different as we exited to the lower streets just past the "hole". Traffic congenstion was a little backed up but nothing to be concerned about while we passed.

Some of us dance to the beat of a different drum..
You must be dancing to the beat of a different calendar! ;) lol

Don