"Blending in as a Dominican?"

NYC2DR

Nov 24, 2008
I'm moving to the DR from New York City in January 2010 to live there for a year. I'm a professional and my objective is to learn Spanish fluently in 12 calendar months. I have plenty saved, so it doesn't matter if I work or not. Either way I'll be making my contribution to the Dr in a positive way. Besides leaving all of the jewelry and expensive electronics at home how can I "blend in" safely? I want to simply learn ways to appear LESS American. Also I want to make myself LESS of a target. I'm a New Yorker, so I will definitely use common sense that I was raised with, but you never know everything. Especially about a different country.

I hear that natives will spot me out immediately. I would assume not, but you never know.

I'm staying with a host family, so I'm sure they'll guide me, but I'm hoping to gain as much insight as possible with 5 months before the plunge. Tips?

My ears and eyes are open.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Ive yet to be suprised to find that someone is not Dominican if you know what I mean lol .Unless you are the master of disguise you will be spotted.

The tips in the above thread will help minimise your gringoness

I think I confused myself lol

NYC2DR

Nov 24, 2008
Thanks. I think you were saying "It's never hard to spot a person who is not native" No matter how hard one tries, if they are not native they can be spotted. I'm sure this is true.

I understand completely. I will do my best to live "like" a Dominican within reasonable guidelines. I will basically live by this quote "When in ROME do what the ROMANS do."

Thanks

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Search the forums as this has been discussed at lenght.

As far as blending in, a lot will depend on how you look. If you are very fair and have blond hair, obviously you will have a problem and will be constantly stared at. If you are white but maybe have some features that could pass you off as Spanish you will have better luck, until of course you open your mouth.

That being said, never wear shorts in public and refrain from using sandals or otherwise weird shoes. Get a good pair of standard leather shoes at home and some Nike's, and always make their are clean/shiny.

Shirts typically are worn hanging out and many use long sleeve shirts, which would be to your advantage. Another thing is ball caps are frequently worn and again this would be helpful. Throw in some sunglasses and more than likely only those that stare at you for any length of time would take notice. Remember too don't wear overly excessive wrinkled clothes and bathe frequently and use deoderant and cologne.

BTW, I'm an American and live here in Santiago and hardly anybody notices me for the most part - I think they think I'm Spanish, until I open my mouth of course. :)

Good luck

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'll never be confused with being a Dominican. But I'll wear nice shorts and leather sandals when I want to because of the weather. Nobody really seems to care. 'Course, I don't wear them on social or business visits.

Folks are more concerned about the uniquely social and cultural idioms more than just dress.

Accept the culture, but be yourself. Just be aware folks here watch.