Buying a guitar in PP

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
I would like to purchase a good guitar, old or new for a 16 yr old. We looked at La Sirena and they had 2 yamaha guitars. Basically 4000+ to 7000+ pesos. The 7000+ was the better guitar obviously. I know that I can buy this at home a lot cheaper so might wait until I go back, but it would be better to buy one now so he can practise while on summer vacation. Is there an actual music store in PP? Has anyone seen a guitar at a Compra Venta lately and where would it be located? Any help would be appreciated in locating a good guitar.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
If you want a "good" guitar expect to pay a little! Get real. 4000-7000 pesos is nothing for a guitar that works and I know that the Yamahas at La Sirena are fine and worth the $$ for that price.
There is a music store in PP, but I forgot where it is exactly. They don't sell "good" guitars but you can find strings, straps, picks, cases, stands and the like there.
Another place to check out is the "Plaza Americas". They are sort of like a pawn shop that has many used guitars coming and going and are usually well stocked for both acoustic and electric, just expect to pay.
DG has guitars too, but again expect to pay. The last time I was in there they had a new acoustic/ electric for 10,000 pesos and it had rusted strings on it.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I wouldn't buy it in the DR. There is a musical instrument shop in Santiago around calle del sol. I walked in there and all they had was crap! A freakin' Ibanez dreanout guitar for 7,000 pesos when here in the US it goes for 89.99. They also had a Gibson Les Paul Studio for like 45,000 pesos I'm like GIVE ME A DAMN BREAK! That goes for about 800 US.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Don't mean to go off topic but I always thought this might be a good idea for anyone looking to start a business in DR (specifically Santiago). But then I thought well...the kids who play in bands and/or play for a hobbie are of middle class/upper class. Usually they have visas and/or have relatives that travel outisde the DR so they ge their equipment from them. Very rarely I have seen kids in barrios involved with playing an instrument. That of course has been my experience.

tempoe

Nov 4, 2008
If anyone knows where you can get a good amp I would be interested, as they cost too much to ship here. (tube combo) Also a freind is selling a Marshall MG 15w if anyone is interested. I got a line6 spider 30w in PP for 9000 pesos but i need something better.

domilinguist

Feb 22, 2008
There`s a guitar shop in Santo Domingo called Fernando Giraldez, they have a decent stock of guitars at decent prices. I don`t know if there`s any big music shops in Santiago. Im sure there are some I just don`t recall seing them.

The phone number of Giraldez in Santo Domingo is 8096830305

good luck.

tempoe

Nov 4, 2008
What part of the country are you in?

Cabarete.

There`s a guitar shop in Santo Domingo called Fernando Giraldez, they have a decent stock of guitars at decent prices. I don`t know if there`s any big music shops in Santiago. Im sure there are some I just don`t recall seing them.

The phone number of Giraldez in Santo Domingo is 8096830305

good luck.

Thanks!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If anyone knows where you can get a good amp I would be interested, as they cost too much to ship here. (tube combo) Also a freind is selling a Marshall MG 15w if anyone is interested. I got a line6 spider 30w in PP for 9000 pesos but i need something better.

Talk to Alain Auclair, Jazz Guitarist, he can usually be found jamming @Pomodoro in Cabarete on Thursdays, or they will know what night his trio plays.

tambo'

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
There are a couple of music stores in Santo Domingo... somewhere in between Parque Enriquillo and 27 de Febrero... it's a long time ago... so sorry for the sketchy location. Anyway, not the finest area, so don't search for it at night.
They are by all means NOT comparable to Guitar Center, Sam Ash or the like guitar stores.

I would join the others suggesting getting an instrument from abroad... preferably the US, if quality is of essence. Guitars still can be take ON-board a flight.

Be prepared to change your stings weekly! The salty, humid air is just killing mine on my steel guitar.

... J-D.