Mail out to UK

Royston

Jun 14, 2009
Anyone have any advice on the cheapest, safest, but not neccessarily fastest method of mailing small packages to UK.
Cost is more important than speed.
thanks

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Couriers

Anyone have any advice on the cheapest, safest, but not neccessarily fastest method of mailing small packages to UK.
Cost is more important than speed.
thanks

Unless you're sending HM's crown jewels use tourists as couriers.
Safe (almost always), cheap and quick.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
post to UK

Tourists are indeed the cheapest, safest and quickest but from experience I can say that the Dominican Postal Service does work, yes it takes anything up to three months unless, of course, you are able to post at the S.D. main post office. My impression is that S.D. to anywhere else in the world is not that bad but to S.D. from anywhere else in the R.D. is hopeless . The best was actually two letters coming the other way, UK to La Barbacoa (near Las Terrenas), they took two years almost to the day and were delivered by a postman!!!!
For my mail now I use a P.O. Box in Miami takes about 10 days.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
A recent 'experimental' letter posted ordinary airmail from Puerto Plata Post Office to Dorset, UK took 3 weeks 2 days. No special service or security and it got there in the time frame I expected. That was a letter, I've never sent a package (of important documents) by anything other than Fedex. I give mail to friends returning to UK, already stamped but left unsealed. With tourists whom we don't know, there have been some refusals to take unsealed letters, so I assumed Brits. are getting more suspicious & haven't in years asked anyone whom I don't already know.

My incoming mail from UK using Business Mail takes 3-4 weeks and it always gets here, eventually. Incoming ordinary airmail from UK using Dominican postal system takes 4-5 weeks usually unless rerouted to Dominica (then it's 3 months) & it doesn't always get here, at least not to my P.O. Box in Puerto Plata Post Office :cheeky:. A recent document from UK using International Signed For service out of UK did get here, took 4 weeks.

Royston

Jun 14, 2009
the santo Domingo connection

Thanks for all the info.

what prompted the question was that while strolling through Ebay the other day, I fell on a site selling jewellery.
The "shop" was in santo domingo and was quoting just a few pounds GBP to ship to UK. Further investigation revealed that they operated a sort of reverse EPS service, sending to Miami then on to UK.
Anyone here of such a service on the North Coast?
EPS dont do a reverse service, I checked already