Interupting my life experience.....

rocker67

Apr 20, 2009
OMG cabarete moto conchos are soooo f@#king irritating. i swear in one day i was asked moto conch????? 200 times. I mean i was minding my own business enjoying cabarete and they pull up beside you and if you say no, or ignore them......they ask and ask and ask. I mean what do you have to do to get them to stop......TELL THEM TO F@#K OFF, OR WHAT???? MUST i acknowledge them, is that what they want.......me to look up everyyyyyyyy 10 seconds and address them. im now to the point where they are interrupting my life experience and my vacation is not about 'you' its about me..........if you have nothing to eat thats not my problem. I can tell im going to blow my stack soon!
Anyways a word to the visitors dont use the moto conches they rip you off blind...........the gua gua and the taxis that speed along are extremely good value
my 2 cents

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I suggest you go to the local farmacia and purchase a few Diazapin, then go to the T-shirt store and print a shirt that says "no necesito moto".

Aug 21, 2007
I agree with Tamborista. If you can't relax here, you can't relax anywhere. Get rid of the anger. Perhaps your vacation will be enjoyed more.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Plus we need these guys to deliver the girls and deal the drugs and to make the place smell of 2-stroke.
Without these guys all you could hear would be the cocks crowing.

If it wasn't for the motoconchos you could probably never see a decent accident.
Then where would we be?
Plus what other mode of transport do you seriously think they could use to transport a family of 4, the washing machine and 3 chickens??

I like the T-shirt idea best.

Reactions: AlaninDR

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
don't worry, be happy...

I know it's hard, but just ignore them. Your vacation is about you, so do your best to block it out. Avoid walking on the streets where there are a lot of them if possible. It won't do any good to tell off a few of them, they'll probably just think it's funny or not understand you. And I know some people may tell you just to smile, laugh and say no thanks, but being nice gets old really fast when you are forced to do it so many times.

It's not just annoying in Cabarete, even in Barahona I say there are more of and more annoying conchos than mosquitos or every male between the ages of 18-40 that owns a Suzuki 125 is a concho. If that makes you laugh, just think about it when they are bothering you to keep from blowing up! This may be even harder, but try to be patient and understanding. Realize that these guys probably didn't finish 8th grade in Dominican public schools in a campo (translate that to your country and you're looking at a lot lower grade level). The t-shirt suggestion is funny, but sadly enough some may not be able to read what it says. This is what they do and they are trying to make a living the best way they know how, and do it because it's worked before.

It sucks for people to assume that a white person/foreigner walking down the sidewalk is 10 times more likely to want a concho (and I thought the stereotype was Dominicans were the ones who don't like to walk far). It probably isn't that, just that when they do pick up foreigners, they can charge way too much and people actually pay them, so now you are the one suffering for it.

If you are seriously angry and annoyed, and will be there for a while and want to do something, write a letter or go talk to the sindicato of the conchos (if there is one) or the sindico (mayor) to complain about them and suggest ways they can be more professional. If you read/write Spanish, go to this website and post a complaint about conchos in Cabarete under the transportation forum: QU?JESE.com.do | El portal de quejas y servicio al cliente de la Rep?blica Dominicana

A final practical tip I have is wear some dark sunglasses, which I call my "tiguere blockers" cuz then people don't even know you glanced in their direction and it's easier to ignore them. :cheeky:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
It can be annoying, and not just for tourists but for Dominican and expat residents also. On the flip side, it's also very convenient to have them around wherever you are when you want them.

The other reality is it's a way for these guys to make money to feed themselves or their families. There's not a glut of unfilled jobs in businesses here, so if they can find a way to get a moto, they have a chance to make some money. I know a few that worked in restaurants, security, whatever... and have turned to their bikes to try to make ends meet when they were laid off. Can't really fault them for trying, perhaps should congratulate them - they're trying to earn a living vs just begging for money.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
wear your ipod and dark glasses. see no evil, hear no evil.

Good idea, that's what I do in my jipeta when I have to pass through town and I am confronted with hordes of vendors who seem to think they have to wave something in my face for three minutes to get my attention. I typically have the glasses on and the music low but no longer acknowledge them except for maybe the finger waddle once in a while.

There are recently a lot more street beggars, and seeing how I'm Roman Catholic I can't seem to say no, so I give them change if I have it.

This is all due to the economy being in the dregs, but by all accounts this time year next year it will be a lot better.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
OMG cabarete moto conchos are soooo f@#king irritating. i swear in one day i was asked moto conch????? 200 times. I mean i was minding my own business enjoying cabarete and they pull up beside you and if you say no, or ignore them......they ask and ask and ask. I mean what do you have to do to get them to stop......TELL THEM TO F@#K OFF, OR WHAT???? MUST i acknowledge them, is that what they want.......me to look up everyyyyyyyy 10 seconds and address them. im now to the point where they are interrupting my life experience and my vacation is not about 'you' its about me..........if you have nothing to eat thats not my problem. I can tell im going to blow my stack soon!
Anyways a word to the visitors dont use the moto conches they rip you off blind...........the gua gua and the taxis that speed along are extremely good value
my 2 cents

Try the finger waddle, it is very easy effective and you don't even have to turn your head to look at the person. It always sends 'em packing instantly even more so than saying "no".

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
These folks live here and are just trying to feed their families amongst massive competition. Since you are a visitor in their country may I suggest that you drink enough Presidente until you become muy "tranquilo". This method used in conjuction with the finger waddle this should be problem solved. :) Enjoy your vacation and be happy!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Just ignore them. I completely ignore anybody that confronts me. If I want their service/help I'll come to them.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Heckle a few of them, and try to get a ride for $5 pesos, any other price say "muy caro", it won't take long for word to get around that you are "tacano" and they will stop bothering you. That or a few jokes on how you are taking the Nissan - Patafinder. Or BM - doble pie, or dodge - patas. You'll get a good laugh, plus they will not only think of you as tacano, but funny.

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
Look them in the eyes, smile and shake your head and say, "No, gracias para la oportunidad!" or "estoy andando, gracias." The motoconchistas are merely trying to make money in their chosen profession. You are affronted because they do not display the western reserve that you are used to. Its the culture. You really need to get over it! You are not in Kansas! These are not bad people. They are poor and trying to make money and in their experience gringos may offer them opportunity for profit.

My own gripe is when, trying to cross the street, I wait for a moto to drive by only to have him stop right in front of me, blocking me from crossing the street, to ask if I need a moto. Hope springs eternal! "No gracias".

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
santiagoDR, i think the irony is wasted on those dudes... ;)
i was thinking OP could go out in borat's swimming suit and he should not get "moto" offers. i don't think motoconchistas would like to have a set of someone's balls close to their back as they drive...

B

BettyDiamond

not sure I agree with the totally ignoring idea ...its always best to be polite, you never know when you will run into them again or they into you so to speak.

Some say they will take you free- I have known someone who actually got away with it too lol

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
moto concho's

they are good people to know.... treat them well and you will indeed get free rides.... and they will also be very helpful if you ever have any problems. it is nice to know they watch my house for me and keep track of who comes and goes... Once they see you a bit they stop asking and simply nod and say hi knowing you will signal when you want a ride.