Theft Of Electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
Hello all,

I moved recently to another building, been here now for about 3 Months. I noticed my electric going on and off and yes I have an inversol as well. When the electric goes off, its like a flash, than 1/2 of my apartment will only work. My bill has been about $1,500 peso's per Month and now I just got hit for 3,200.....My wife has found out that 2 people here in the building has stolen electric in the past. A former tenant that moved just one Month ago, left a 25,000 electric bill behind for the owner. I have no idea how the electric company did not just come and take that meter lol..Anyway, we came back from a little trip tonight, bumped into the admin for the building and we were asking her questions since we noticed that the electric panel was busted open and of course about our bill. (just wanted to check things with her) So, she tells us that she has not had electric in about 3 weeks (She does now) and that the common electric for the building came in for a big 300.00 peso's when it was always 2,500...So, we are thinking that its the admin herself doing the theft and not only 2 other tenants here. We are really angry about this and I wanted to know what can be done about it? My wife wants to contact the Police, but we all know how well that will work. I was thinking of contacting the Embassy since I am a US Citizen still and the apartment is in my name anyway. (The electric is still in the owners name)

So, I really don't care about making new friends here in my new building since it seems that one or maybe two of them are stealing from us. What can we do and what action do you think, if any, would happen to those people stealing our electric if they are found out? Please, I need some good advice here and fast since Tomorrow is Monday and we want to get started on this not to mention, we need the electric working in the entire apartment.

Thanks again,

Noel.

P.S We are sure its being interrupted at the main box for the apartments and not anything inside. Our breaker in the outside box has been taken down from the bracket that holds all 16 of them.mmmm can't see to well if there are added or disconnected wires.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
There are many folks on this board with much better knowledge of how to do this, but the first basic drill is to go to your breaker box inside your apartment, shut off all breakers, turn off your inverter and unplug it from the wall as well, and then go look at your meter outside. If it is still spinning, someone else is using your juice. If it is being used for the buildings common areas, it is probably better to check this at night when the building lights in the common areas are all on and being used.

May 8, 2009
Another idea is to get a local electrician to come over and help you to identify your electric lines and also look to see if anyone is tied into them. If they are tied in, cut their lines. Then, periodically check your lines (a few times a week maybe at first) and just keep cutting the lines that are tied into yours. These jokers will get the idea that someone is onto them and hopefully give up.

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
There are many folks on this board with much better knowledge of how to do this, but the first basic drill is to go to your breaker box inside your apartment, shut off all breakers, turn off your inverter and unplug it from the wall as well, and then go look at your meter outside. If it is still spinning, someone else is using your juice. If it is being used for the buildings common areas, it is probably better to check this at night when the building lights in the common areas are all on and being used.

Hi Carlos,

Great idea! Only issue is, its electric (no Spin) and I will need to get the key to open the gate that holds the water pump (Bomba) and the Electric panel. The panel is now busted as I stated before, so I will check with the security dude since he puts his bike inside when he works. I wonder how long it takes for the numbers on the meter to move? KWH..maybe one hour? thoughts? Stay tuned....

I really want to report this though and of course to get $1,500 of my money back...I'm a very angry gringo...lets see if we can get some direction here on DR1.

Thanks again!

Noel

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You must really be new to the DR. (You mentioned 3 months)

You are looking for lots of trouble with what you want to do and what you expect to get back.

Slow down and think of where you are.

Talk to some other ex-pats and READ/SEARCH this forum more.

Don

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
Hola Noel. Calling your embassy or the police to accuse a neighbor or the admin is insane and potentially dangerous. You are challenging hundreds of years of culture and Dominican brotherhood. If you make this into a battle they will squash you like a bug.
Get an electrician and ask him to make sure nobody is hooked up to your contador and to remove them if they are and to show you so that you know the next time. Pay the electrician and pay your electric bill and keep an eye out for anyone trying to hook up again. This will help you stay alive. You do not appear to have any idea of what and who you are messing with. You could land up having it cost you a lot more than just a high electric bill and that could include bodily harm. Either you accept the way things are around you or you should move to a Gringo neighborhood.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My wife wants to contact the Police

And I take it from another thread that your wife is Dominican?

Since I agree absolutely with the other posters who have advised you not to make unnecessary enemies over RD$1500, and since your wife as a Dominicana would know that, I am wondering what is going on?

Feb 7, 2007
Only issue is, its electric (no Spin)

If the meter is digital, it will have "digital bars" (similar to your cellphone) flashing like 1-2-3, 1-2-3 again, etc at regular intervals as the power is being used. Once you shut down all brakers, the bars should stop flashing and keep still (I do this regularly to check things out at my house).

Tropicdude

May 26, 2009
If you find that someone is connected to your circuit, just pay a Edesur "contratista" to disconnect the offenders from your circuit.

The electric companies here charge the KWh on a step scale, so the more you use, the more they charge per KWh. beyond certain points the KWh can double even triple.

So remove any "leachers" that may be on your circuit, but without confrontation. Just pay a couple hundred pesos to have the contractors remove the offenders, this will look as if the corporation removed them and not you.

And every now and then, do the test to make sure you have not been tapped into again.

Tips on saving electric:

* Use florescent lights
* Do not leave lights on all over.
* If you have a Tinaco, you could place a timer on water pump, so it only runs an hour or so a day ( enough to fill tinaco ).
* The inverter uses electric to charge Batteries, if you have little or few blackouts, you could switch Inverter charger off.
* Also some folks even disconnect the fridge at night.
* all those cell phone chargers, Ipod chargers, etc. unplug the adapter from wall when your not charging/ using them. even the TV and DVD player use electric even if they are turned off. unplugging will save electric, and also protect them from over voltage spikes when not in use.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
IF you should find some monkey business going on, you go to the electric company that provides your electricity and tell them that someone is stealing your electricity. Amen.

Do not put too much weight on your US citizenship...With that and 500 pesos you can get a big pizza and a Coca~Cola at Pizza Hut!!

See about the electrician first, then the electric company. Get things straight..

HB

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Just out of curiosity, were do you draw the line, when do you say enough is enough,
at RD 3000, 5000, 10,000 50,000 ? I agree, don't make enemies for a small amount. But at what point do you do something? Or is the answer move to another building where it can happen again. There is no good answer. If you have been an honest person all your life, it can be very frustrating when this type of action is all around you. If it was me, and I have been there, here, in the D.R., learn to live with it. Sad but true

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As many have posted already:

1. Don't get the police or the embassy involved.
2. Cut power to your apt and check meter for usage.
3. If someone is connected to your line, have electrician cut any lines tied onto yours.

As I used to live in a common house their are other ways people might be able to discreetly connect to your feed without your knowledge. Therefore, if you know somebody is stealing your power and the the electrician cannot find the connection, your best bet is to ask the electric company to move your meter to somwhere where nobody other than you can connect (like outside one of your windows) and then have an electrician run a connection from it to the breaker in the apt. If you have any more specific questions send me a private message.

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
Another idea is to get a local electrician to come over and help you to identify your electric lines and also look to see if anyone is tied into them. If they are tied in, cut their lines. Then, periodically check your lines (a few times a week maybe at first) and just keep cutting the lines that are tied into yours. These jokers will get the idea that someone is onto them and hopefully give up.

Hey Coastline,

True, I was discussing this with my wife and that will be the start since we want proof of whats going on. She is adamant about contacting the Police, so perhaps after we get out ducks in a row.

Thanks!

Noel

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
If you find that someone is connected to your circuit, just pay a Edesur "contratista" to disconnect the offenders from your circuit.

The electric companies here charge the KWh on a step scale, so the more you use, the more they charge per KWh. beyond certain points the KWh can double even triple.

So remove any "leachers" that may be on your circuit, but without confrontation. Just pay a couple hundred pesos to have the contractors remove the offenders, this will look as if the corporation removed them and not you.

And every now and then, do the test to make sure you have not been tapped into again.

Tips on saving electric:

* Use florescent lights
* Do not leave lights on all over.
* If you have a Tinaco, you could place a timer on water pump, so it only runs an hour or so a day ( enough to fill tinaco ).
* The inverter uses electric to charge Batteries, if you have little or few blackouts, you could switch Inverter charger off.
* Also some folks even disconnect the fridge at night.
* all those cell phone chargers, Ipod chargers, etc. unplug the adapter from wall when your not charging/ using them. even the TV and DVD player use electric even if they are turned off. unplugging will save electric, and also protect them from over voltage spikes when not in use.

lol, I always unplug the fringe at night as well. I put the cola, milk etc in the freezer about 4 hours before going to bed, (Frozen) than of course I'm good to go in the morning with no worries of spoil. My electric bill would vary from 1200-1500, but not 3,200.. Great ideas to share and I will be testing the meter.

Thank You,

Noel

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hey Coastline,

True, I was discussing this with my wife and that will be the start since we want proof of whats going on. She is adamant about contacting the Police, so perhaps after we get out ducks in a row.

Thanks!

Noel

You are asking for trouble for an amount for something less than US50. Take my advice and others who have lived here many years. If you want to call and chat about his too, send me a pm.

B

BettyDiamond

perhaps you could discuss it with your landlord- in a round a bout way saying how your electricity bill has gone up so much recently and do they know a good electrician as you think you must have a faulty connection- just to let them know you have noticed

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
Hola Noel. Calling your embassy or the police to accuse a neighbor or the admin is insane and potentially dangerous. You are challenging hundreds of years of culture and Dominican brotherhood. If you make this into a battle they will squash you like a bug.
Get an electrician and ask him to make sure nobody is hooked up to your contador and to remove them if they are and to show you so that you know the next time. Pay the electrician and pay your electric bill and keep an eye out for anyone trying to hook up again. This will help you stay alive. You do not appear to have any idea of what and who you are messing with. You could land up having it cost you a lot more than just a high electric bill and that could include bodily harm. Either you accept the way things are around you or you should move to a Gringo neighborhood.

Hello B,

Well, I'm a big dude and If you can live in Harlem, Bronx, etc growing up than whats the difference...Bats,Knifes, Guns, oh my;). Funny thing, its my wife that is wanting to call the police..as LaBamba mentioned, she is Dominican. I have 3 children that are 1/2 Italian/Dominican back in the states, so I know the culture real well. I been here a little over 2 years, its the building that I just moved to about 3 Months ago. The people here are all nice, but I guess some of them don't want to be honest and for all they know, they could be stealing electric from their own sister since some of them have relatives living here. The Embassy thought came into play since they would check into things without a charge, that's where I can play the citizen card so to speak. I appreciate your post and thanks for the feedback.

Noel

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
Okay, lots of good info here! Lets see whats doing and I will post it back if that will help others down the road.

Thanks again Everyone!

Noel

B

BettyDiamond

electricity prices went up last month so the common area charge is probably right

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
electricity prices went up last month so the common area charge is probably right

Hi Betty,

lol, yea great but the bill came in for 300.00 pesos....this admin here is a real winner! She does nothing look wise for the building and we all have to pay 2,000 peso's per Month for maintenance. what on earth does she do with over 36,000 per Month.mmmm, real sad! Plus, she only pays about 600.00 peso's for her electric. NICE! I don't care what other people do, just leave my stuff alone. Somebody mentioned moving, not my style. At least you don't hear gun shots through the night here in this Country. lol..Thanks Betty, be good!

Noel

Status
Not open for further replies.