first time to DR

garuda

Jun 13, 2009
Saludos all.

I'm getting excited about my first trip to DR. My plan is to spend a week in SD and then proceed north to Santiago and then finish at a beach on the northern coast. I would like a bungalow and quiet beach experience for a couple days. I would probably have flown from the north coast back to the US, but when I booked my ticket it didn't occur to me if that was possible. At any rate, a day or two back in SD is fine since another walk around the Zona Colonial I expect will be something I would want to do.

As with anything new I get a little worried since my Spanish is minimal thoough I do know a fair number of words. My week in SD, I hope to take Spanish classes in the morning :).

I have to bother you guys with some novice questions - like, what's the going rate for a budget meal and transportation in say the capital. Am I ok if I rely on ATM's since i'll only be there two weeks?

I'm traveling alone. I hear Dominicanas are beautiful but I hope to play it cool. If I meet someone nice who I connect with who isn't thinking of me as "$$" then maybe it was meant to be as they say.

Not to be redundant, but do any helpful souls have any good tips for a first timer to the DR? I'm intrigued by the history and ethnic mix of the place. I'm hoping to learn a lot.

Muchas gracias.

GARUDA

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Welcome to the DR! You're going to get several responses from some wonderful people here who you will probably never meet but who always provide helpful information that you will find invaluable. For my part let me suggest that in planning your north coast visit, consider the Coco Cabanas at Playa Gasper Hernandez located between Cabarette and Rio San Juan [you can get there via Caribe Tours Bus to Rio San Juan and local transport to the cabanas]. Simon Odoni advertises here on DR1 and provides exceptional accommodations directly on the beach with a restaurant/bar and a grill for weekend bar-b-que. I stayed with Simon in March and had a wonderful week on a quiet, tranquil and unspoiled part of the DR. Whatever you do, however, I'm betting that you have a great vacation and that this will not be your last visit to the DR. Come back to the forum and give us a trip report when you return home.

The Zona Colonial is great, I stayed there for three days last July in a hotel called Hotel Freeman on San Isabel La Catolica Street. It was very clean and affordable and it's about a two minute walk to the Hard Rock Cafe and a lot of other restaurants.
There are all kinds of good restaurants. Check out Vesuvios on the Malecon which is the street that runs along the ocean. I believe it's official name is George Washington Avenue. You can buy a map of SD at any store. Maps by Mapas Garra are the best in my opinion, I have three of them. I always rent a car and drive, so I know nothing about the public transportation in the DR. If you rent a car, film it with your camcorder before you accept it and make sure the rental agency employees see you do it. It'll give them second thoughts about pulling a scam on you later.

Heading north visit Bonao, it's a beautiful town in the mountains of of the Duarte Highway. Also visit La Vega and Santiago.

In Sosua, make sure you visit Rockys Bar & Hotel, GREAT food and very affordable rooms.

I am leaving for the DR today, my flight departs at 1:10pm from Miami to Puerto Plata. It's 6:53am as I write this. I'll be in the POP/Sosua area until the 30th of June, and I also plan to go to Santiago a lot on this trip. This'll be my 6th trip to the DR since April of last year.

dlcc

Oct 18, 2007
Heads Up

Simon Odoni has been deported to the states on a large scam case. Coco cabanas is probably not a place to count on for good service. I was told it's now being ran by one of his Dominican employees, probably not a real good thing.

James

Welcome to the DR! You're going to get several responses from some wonderful people here who you will probably never meet but who always provide helpful information that you will find invaluable. For my part let me suggest that in planning your north coast visit, consider the Coco Cabanas at Playa Gasper Hernandez located between Cabarette and Rio San Juan [you can get there via Caribe Tours Bus to Rio San Juan and local transport to the cabanas]. Simon Odoni advertises here on DR1 and provides exceptional accommodations directly on the beach with a restaurant/bar and a grill for weekend bar-b-que. I stayed with Simon in March and had a wonderful week on a quiet, tranquil and unspoiled part of the DR. Whatever you do, however, I'm betting that you have a great vacation and that this will not be your last visit to the DR. Come back to the forum and give us a trip report when you return home.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
What the hell are you waiting for? Come on down and enjoy life. You only go around once.. cheers .. dominicano de pura cepa.

El nombre del ron es Brugal.