Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dental Work in the RD

I had a conversation today about dental work ,that left me wondering how working class people afford the dentist. I have a friend who has an infected tooth ,he was given a perscription each pill costing 180 pesos. He also said once the infection is gone he has to go back to the dentist and have a tooth pulled ( a front tooth ) and then have it replaced ,the procedure would take place in a hospital in Puerto Plata and will cost $30,000 pesos. Is this the going rate for dental services? It seems like so much money. Can anyone provide input on this???? Are there any options for paying such large mediacal bills?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what happens when you have no insurance.

If he needs the extraction done at a hospital, then I assume it's a complicated case.

If he is having an extraction and a crown or implant to replace it, then it's expensive.
    Double or triple the RD$30K if you had the same work done in the USA.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

no,
    it is not the going rate in DR and has not much to do with any insurance neither.
    i have a front teeth on the top and 4 back teeth (sp??, sorry) on the top right fakes in my mounth, removeable.
    to get all the bad ones out and to get the fake one done and all work to my success without any trouble of anything i paid on a dentist lab in Bayaguana 3 months ago around $100.- total.
    clean work, absolutely painfree.
    he used the 'icing spray' first, than put his needle in , then the teeths out, 2 weeks afterwards when the usual lil wound's swelling been back down on normal he did his 'print' and fabricated the fakes til the next day to be placed in and they still work perfectly.
    i felt nothing and the finally finished job is great.
    30.000.- for a single teeth job sounds like the typical ridiculous money maker of our tourist areas.
    dentist jobs are not covered by the usual med insurances.
    i have the platinum plan for myself from the ARS Humano insurance,
    by the quote for the job of the doc recommende by a friend to me who has half of his mouth 'replaced' by the same doc since years ago, i did not even bother to ask if he accepts any insurance card.
    Mike

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike...

We have no idea what he really needs, so you cannot assume it's a rip off.
    Maybe its a complicated case? Maybe he needs a root canal etc etc.

The going rate here for a root canal and crown by a dentist that knows what they are doing is between RD$20-35,000 without insurance. That price can be reduced by 40-50% with insurance. The RD$30-35K is 2-3 times less than the USA.

With ARS Humano you can take additional coverage for peanuts to cover dental work. They just saved me around RD$140,000, I had lots of work done. I use "Salud Bucal" and they have clinics and dentists all over the the DR. People in my office also use ARS Humano, and they have also saved a bundle on braces and dental work.

Sure, you can go to some dude that kind of has an idea, but I personally prefer to go to a clinic that has a great reputation and the dentists are top notch.

Bottom line. If you have insurance here, good dental work is cheap. If you don't and your poor, then it's going to be a struggle paying. No different to many other parts of the world.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If he really can't afford it, he could check out the Sonrisas Clinic in Puerto Plata. It's non-profit, and they can do pretty much any work needed for a fraction of the price. I doubt it would run more than a couple thousand pesos. Its not the prettiest place, but the dentists are good, highly experienced, and they have a good reputation.

Clinicas Odontologicas Sonrisas

Calle Pedro Glisante
    Tel: 809.586.3501

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mamielizabeth View Post
    I had a conversation today about dental work ,that left me wondering how working class people afford the dentist. I have a friend who has an infected tooth ,he was given a perscription each pill costing 180 pesos. He also said once the infection is gone he has to go back to the dentist and have a tooth pulled ( a front tooth ) and then have it replaced ,the procedure would take place in a hospital in Puerto Plata and will cost $30,000 pesos. Is this the going rate for dental services? It seems like so much money. Can anyone provide input on this???? Are there any options for paying such large mediacal bills?
    dental school in SD charges nothing for all work done by students and faculty helping...even braces...
    bob

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

that's right Robert,
    without insurance and poor means everywhere to get a hard time on medics, specially dental works.
    compared to the outside they are all cheap on rates, hey, i remember the rates for simple dental stuff in Germany!, ha ha.
    i had overall within a few weeks more stuff done to my own damaged mouth.
    if i get the right count together the total on all been 7.000-7500.- pesos, the Cubans don here in PC quoted 3K$US.
    of course i have to mention that the clinics in PC look much nicer, look more professional, don't know if they work better b/c i did not use them finally, the doc in the mountains and his clinic i used throu recommendation of a austrian friend of mine who got big work done there some years back, without a good recommendation i would not even enter any dental lab/clinic, i hate the dentists stuff, i am a complete chicken on that, but the doc did it in the perfect way, means 'painless', lol.
    Mike

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't but wonder if those small dentist offices disinfect properly. That's the scary part for me.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

what somebody names properly is always relative.
    that's why some pay several K's in US and others some K's in pesos.
    but the higher rate at a facility never guarantees the better service/caretaking aso.
    last week we had at centro medico punta cana a patient with asthma, went to the hospital which is not on the cheap side of the list, respiration machines did not work properly, patient been taken on their ambulance to be brought to Plaza de Salud St Dgo, in La Otra Banda the ambulance broke down with a fu$$ed off transmission, patient arrived in st dgo in very poor condition and 2 days ago died as a result of the ridiculously poor treatment of that high paid hospital.
    i know the affected family in person,
    and i can assure ya that i trust my newly won dentist with everything 100 times more than the foreign doctors who took the cash on the hosp[ital and did a BS of what they should have done.
    bad things always can happen everywhere of course,
    but it shows again clearly that the higher rates with just 'visually' shown 'cleaner' services are not always worth a thing.
    for me in case of the dentist it is the trust in the person known personally,
    of course in case of an emergency we don't have the time to know a doc that way.
    Mike

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El_Uruguayo View Post
    If he really can't afford it, he could check out the Sonrisas Clinic in Puerto Plata. It's non-profit, and they can do pretty much any work needed for a fraction of the price. I doubt it would run more than a couple thousand pesos. Its not the prettiest place, but the dentists are good, highly experienced, and they have a good reputation.

Clinicas Odontologicas Sonrisas

Calle Pedro Glisante
    Tel: 809.586.3501
    I was going to recommend something like this as well, but my Mother in-law had major issues with a student at one of these clinics. Of course its either free or a very small donation, but you just don't know what the outcome is going to be. Long story short, she needed an implant, it got all infected, I mean down to the bone. After about 4 weeks, they had to remove part of that infected bone. In and out of the hospital since the infection had spread through her body etc... She still has issues today and she started this process about 6 Months ago. Just be real careful who you seek help from! If a good dentist will take payments or if you can borrow the money, do that. I think teeth pain is the worst, especially if something is done the wrong way.

Jeez...Good luck!

Noel

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast