Washing Machines

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We're looking for a new clothes washer, and checked out Corripio near Price Smart

We've only owned traditional top loaders with the agitator in the middle. Now we're seeing a bunch of washers without the center agitator that have diamonds and other non-smooth shapes on the wall of the drum. Some seem to be decent quality, but I find them somewhat odd. Even the high-end agitatorless models have what appears to be a flimsy lid. The lower price ones ahve really cheesy lids. The high-end ones can be fully automatic while the cheaper ones have a separate washer drum and spin drum...and seem like a lot of work

We asked the sales guy what the difference was with the agitatorless models, and he said they are "Latin America" models, that many LA's don't "trust" the center agitator with their clothes. He alluded to the fact that many don't know how to use the center-agitator models.

I'm just wondering about the functional differences? Do the "Latin America" models clean and spin clothes as well as what I think are the more traditional models?

And BTW-the nice front load stack washer/dryers are well over $US2400 for the set.:paranoid: A "normal" washer/gas dryer can be had for around $US1000.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
We have had an LG intelligent washing machine without a center agitator, for more than 8 years. Best washing machine I've ever owned. My dress shirts last a lot longer using this machine.

Now, if only one could find a housekeeper that will accept that they don't need to add cloro, then it would be a truly intelligent washing operation. Lost about a shirt per month to them. First one was free. Second one they paid for, and got to go look for a new job...

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
I own a Samsung (digital model) without a center agitator, got it at Plaza Lama for about $225. USD.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
it cleans very well, and the spin cycle does well too also the energy consuption is low, my energy bill went only about 40 pesos a month and I use the machine about 3 to 4 days a week.

Mar 2, 2008
Tallman,

Does the spin actually dry, or is it like a regular spin cycle, leaving the clothes damp and needing to be hung to dry?

I haven't seen many regular "dryers" in the DR, and as Cobra pointed out, the ones I have seen are very expensive, in my opinion.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
The spin cycle does not dry the clothes fully it leaves them dam (almost dry), I usually hung them indoors and they dry fast.
I got my in Plaza Lama (calle del Sol) here in Santiago paid about 225.00 dollars about 8 months ago.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Tallman, does it have separate washing and spinning tubs? Most I've seen are. There are a couple that are automatic and do both in the same tub.

The split models have a wash tub twice-thrice the capacity of the spinning tub meaning you have to wash once and then do 2-3 manual spin cycles. Certainly I'd gravitate toward the single tub models.

I find it interesting that I never saw an agitatorless washer in my life, and most in LA have never had one with.

In a way it's a moot point. The quality of water going into the washer is poor, so clothes get rinsed in bad water.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, in europe we have front load washing machines - no agitator in the middle - and i think they are a lot better than washing machines here, much more gentle for clothes. the problem is the price - all nice and big ones are really expensive in DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I xpect to receive was is known as a "take out" washer in the next few days. These are washing machines furnished in rental apartments and after a certain period of time taken out and replaced.
There are folks that inspect them and sell them. Mine will cost me about $300 door to door here in the DR.

I will report on how it works... I got a new fridgethis was for less than 600....:)

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Have Alida call my friend Zacarias. He is a salesman for various businesses here in Santiago and knows the business inside and out. He will recommend the "American" brands because they will outlast anything else by far. This is true too, I have learned this the hard way by buying the cheap stuff here. His cell is 809-652-2171. Make sure you tell him you are good friends of Chip. He asks for a nominal tip for his troubles, but it is well worth it.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Tallman, does it have separate washing and spinning tubs? Most I've seen are. There are a couple that are automatic and do both in the same tub.

The split models have a wash tub twice-thrice the capacity of the spinning tub meaning you have to wash once and then do 2-3 manual spin cycles. Certainly I'd gravitate toward the single tub models.

I find it interesting that I never saw an agitatorless washer in my life, and most in LA have never had one with.

In a way it's a moot point. The quality of water going into the washer is poor, so clothes get rinsed in bad water.

This one its automatic and does everything in the same tube, all you have to do is pour the soap and then at the end of the washing cycle pour the softener. For the water quality what I did was put a filter in the water line to the washer machine.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
My LG is one tub, spins the clothes enough that they will dry overnight once they are hung up (inside the laundry area, not outside) even if it is raining, and has an 8 Kg capacity - more than enough for us.