Would stronger police or military envolvment help with electric theft

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have been reading quite a lot about people here stealing, I'm sorry, "borrowing energy". It appears to be a widespread problem. As soon as cables are disconnected, they are back in place. The people doing this realize that there are never consequences. Word of mouth travels here like a brush fire, fast and furious. Why not set a mandatory jail sentence, for example a 1 year incarceration and see where that takes the problem. I realize that a lot of these people don't have the money but usually, when a push comes to a shove, the money needed can be raised. Something really needs to be done with the electric companies that are so so much in the red. Raising the cost of energy usage just addresses the tip of the problem and this will only be followed up with another and another and another. Only the honest people will suffer.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Sounds like one solution to me. Now then, where in the heck will the government get the money to build 20 new prisons for everyone convicted of electricity theft to spend their time?? Sounds like another FUBAR situation to me, just like someone getting busted for having 1/2 joint in their possession and getting sent to jail.

How can another "Law" overcome generations beiing led to believe that the government will provide all for them?? The money might be better invested in education, so that future generations can get out of this mindset.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I agree wholeheartedly. When I first met my girlfriend here, she spent all her free time on the internet with Myspace, Facebook, Hi5 and similar sites. I am now paying for a private school, private teachers at home, and personally teaching her English. The only true answer is in the education system. And even that isn't the root of the problem.
She would tell me that she is a stupid person. I in turn would tell her she is not stupid, just uneducated. A few years ago, her father (a devout alcoholic) forced her out of school telling her it wasn't necessary and she had to do all the household chores, even though the mother sat at home doing nothing because the father didn't want her to work. It really is a sad state of affairs and every educated person needs to do their little part to start to make the difference. Maybe not in this lifetime, maybe not the next, but education is paramount. I am a U.S. citizen, and even with all the problems that exist here, I truly love this country.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I have been reading quite a lot about people here stealing, I'm sorry, "borrowing energy". It appears to be a widespread problem. As soon as cables are disconnected, they are back in place. The people doing this realize that there are never consequences. Word of mouth travels here like a brush fire, fast and furious. Why not set a mandatory jail sentence, for example a 1 year incarceration and see where that takes the problem. I realize that a lot of these people don't have the money but usually, when a push comes to a shove, the money needed can be raised. Something really needs to be done with the electric companies that are so so much in the red. Raising the cost of energy usage just addresses the tip of the problem and this will only be followed up with another and another and another. Only the honest people will suffer.
If stealing energy was the worst thing that went on here, then this would be the safest place in the world to live. Do you have stock in the energy company?
Do you really understand how poor some of these people are? Thats what i admire about dominicans, they are very resourceful people. they do what they have to do to survive. I dont think stealing power hurts you, or anyone else except maybe the power company.
You sound like a nice guy waytogo, but i dont think you have ever been in a posistion in your life of just trying to survive and wondering where your next meal is going to come from.the average dominican is lucky to get a jobfor 6,000 pesos a month, that only goes so far.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
To start, I do not have stock in the energy company. For free I wouldn't. I was just addressing one problem. I have only been here 3 years 7 months, but time enough to see quite a lot. My history is ownership of private schools for young children back in the states and a devout love for children and education. I come to tears and my heart bleeds when I see countless children on the streets without shoes begging for anything beneficial. I will never get used to this. If someone would donate the land, in a heavily populated area, I would build a school with my personal funds for the children. It would be a non-profit with just enough charged to pay the salaries and utilities. I would never have access to the money. A challenge: How many people on this forum? If everyone here would donate 1 (one) U.S. dollar per month, this could be a reality. Don't you think it is time to stop talking and do something. DR1 can manage the funds every month and there would be no question of impropriety. Well, I would love positive feedback on this. Look at all the money spent on rum, cigarettes, chicas,
and self indulgence, why not the people here, on this forum, begin the begin.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
To start, I do not have stock in the energy company. For free I wouldn't. I was just addressing one problem. I have only been here 3 years 7 months, but time enough to see quite a lot. My history is ownership of private schools for young children back in the states and a devout love for children and education. I come to tears and my heart bleeds when I see countless children on the streets without shoes begging for anything beneficial. I will never get used to this. If someone would donate the land, in a heavily populated area, I would build a school with my personal funds for the children. It would be a non-profit with just enough charged to pay the salaries and utilities. I would never have access to the money. A challenge: How many people on this forum? If everyone here would donate 1 (one) U.S. dollar per month, this could be a reality. Don't you think it is time to stop talking and do something. DR1 can manage the funds every month and there would be no question of impropriety. Well, I would love positive feedback on this. Look at all the money spent on rum, cigarettes, chicas,
and self indulgence, why not the people here, on this forum, begin the begin.