Casa del Conductor - Efficient!

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
With over a year driving in Santo Domingo?s chaos, my biggest fear has always been getting into an accident: not just fearing for my health but also in trying to deal with the accident itself. I imagined total confusion and disorder, inefficient police and uncooperative insurance companies.

Well, yesterday I got into a minor accident- thankfully no one was hurt and there was only minimal damage to one car. The good thing to come out of this is that I discovered what, in my experience to date in the DR, is the most efficient place in the city ? Casa del Condutor, on Bolivar just off of Tiradentes. (It appears that there is also one in Santiago.)

The major insurance companies have this benefit as an option with an annual fee, from what I understand. (I drive a company car so I am not exactly sure how much the Casa del Conductor benefit costs.) From what I could tell, Casa del Conductor is funded by these payments and all major insurance companies are represented there.

Basically, it is a one-stop-shopping accident center. After registering and being offered FREE coffee by a man in uniform (!!) you are directed to a large sala with a room of at least 10 AMET officers waiting to take your declaration. After giving your declaration, you are directed to the official jur?dico, who will notarize your declarations. Then you pass directly to the representative of your insurance company who gives you all the forms you need and an instruction sheet detailing exactly what you need to do. It's all in the same room and clearly organized.

It even has an on-site jail and cafeteria offering FREE FOOD if you are there during meal times.

All in all, I spent more time in traffic trying to get to Casa del Conductor than I did in declaring the accident and dealing with the insurance company. I also got lucky in that the other driver involved in the accident was very nice and understanding. (The accident was my fault and it helped that I immediately assumed responsibility.)

Hopefully I?ll never need this service again, but I wanted to share because I think this service is well worth the money.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Totally agree
I had been involved in a couple of minors accidents and everything were solved in few minutes.
the amet police are very nice and educated and some of them very pretty as well.
I recommend everybody to pay for this service in their insurance. in case of big accidents when somebody is killed you dont have to dealing with jail. they give you a hotel room in the premise.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Sounds good, got to check with Banreservas to see if they offer it.

They do! That is the insurance that my employer uses. The rep even gave me the claims adjuster's mobile number so that he could pick up the forms at my office instead of me having to go to the office.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
La casa del condutor even has room to spend the night in if you get into an accident and get home for some reason!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This sounds like a great service. Could anyone posts what you have to do if you have an accident and you're nowhere near this "Casa del Conductor". Let's say you're a tourist who decides that (in spite of all the advice against it) you want to drive around by yourself and see the country, so you rent a vehicle and end up in an accident in let's say Cotui. Also anyone knows whether rental car companies include this service?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
All I can give is my own experience...

Does anyone know with the recent changes in the legal code that now require proof of being guilty if they will still throw a driver in jail automatically if they are involved in a serious accident (if they don't have Casa de Conductor coverage)?

The new legal codes are supposed to be more like the US system of innocent until proven guilty as opposed to the previous Napoleonic system. I was interested if this changed anything with regards to the need for Casa de Conductor coverage.

In October I was seriously injured in Puerto Plata by a Dominican taxicab driver who wasn't looking where he was backing out. Nothing happened to him and he hasn't even given me his insurance information.

I left the DR for medical care in the US in mid-November. Between the time of the accident and my departure, all I heard from him was "soy pobre" and "los seguros est?n muy caro."

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
I left the DR for medical care in the US in mid-November. Between the time of the accident and my departure, all I heard from him was "soy pobre" and "los seguros est?n muy caro."

You got the typical Dominican, the free get out jail card answer!!!

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
One more thing about my experience that might be helpful to others...

I am here on a work visa. When trying to get answers from the authorities (ha!) about what documents I needed to drive legally here, my organization and I were given the run-around. Finally, we got an official answer from a higher-up that I only needed my current US driver license and an international dirivng license.

When I was filing the accident report, the AMET asked for a copy of my entry date to the DR. I had a copy of the work visa and my passport, but not the entry date, since I was told it wasn't necessary. I think he was embarrassed he didn't know this, and let it slide. (Me being polite didn't hurt either.)

However, if you are here in the country on a tourist visa only and driving on your US-based license, you should carry a copy of your country entry date. Unless, of course, you've passed the cut-off and are technically driving illegally in the country. ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Many international organisations and the diplomatic corps have a fast track DR licence procedure, that's how I got mine before I was a resident.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Can you go to the Casa Conductor to report an accident where your own car was damaged and the other driver fled the scene (and you were able to note his plate number)?

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
It has been posted numerous times on this forum that an International Driving license is useless here. I wonder why you were told otherwise. It would be great to get to the bottom of how someone can visit or have a work visa and drive here legally after 90 days without being a resident (and not having a Dominican license).

I am not technically a resident (since I am here on a work visa) and currently have no plans to file for residency. I am also not a diplomat. That is why the organization I worked for tried to figure out how to get us Dominican DLs and had no luck whatsoever. No one could give us an answer, and finally a higher-up gave up this option and his personal number to call if there was any confusion.

I don't know why it is like this, I thankfully rely on my employer to figure this stuff out. In no way do I mean to suggest that others should use an international driver's license.

In the end, I leave the country frequently, so the 90 days is not usually a problem. Although I have copies of my visa and passport pic page on me at all times, I hadn't thought about carrying a copy of my entry date. I do now!

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Can you go to the Casa Conductor to report an accident where your own car was damaged and the other driver fled the scene (and you were able to note his plate number)?

My coworker, who is a Dominican lawyer, said that any accident should be reported as soon as possible. If the offender was to later try and report any damages, you would be on record as the responsible person who first reported it.

From what I understand, as the only party reporting the accident, you would have to have Casa de Conductor on your policy in order to take advantage of the services offered.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

It's worth the try.

Two or three years ago I succeeded in getting this done after an incident in which my parked car was damaged by an accident between two other cars - I arrived on the scene hours later but a neighbour put me in touch with one of the parties so I was able to get both registration numbers.

As both parties had reported the incident there was already a record at Casa de Conductor.

It took some persistence on my part, but the repairs to my car were covered by the liable party's insurer (some RD$14,000 worth).

May 12, 2005
Could somebody post the addresses for casas del conductores across the country? This could be a very useful piece of information to have.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Could somebody post the addresses for casas del conductores across the country? This could be a very useful piece of information to have.

This is what I found on the ARS Universal website. I can verify the address of the SDQ location only:

La Casa del Conductor se encuentra ubicada en las siguientes localidades:

Santo Domingo
Av. Bol?var No. 193, Urb. La Esperilla, Tel. 809-381-2424 y Fax 809-563-6851.

Santiago
Calle 16 de Agosto No. 3, Tel. 809-241-4848.