How should I interpred "farmland"?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe for a lot of you a strange question, so let me explain a little first. Part of our income comes from breeding Malinois (Belgian Shepherds) which we sell to the US (army, police and individuals) and Canada. As our dogs are very friendly and social towards their family, but also very protective, we are looking for a larger plot of land (also for training purposes).

We have seen that farm land is considerably cheaper, but are there restrictions to what you can or have to do, as there are in Belgium (f.e. on farmland you have to do farm activities like holding cow, etc...)

I have tried to look it up, but could not find something.

Thanks for all the advice.

Nov 25, 2008
you live in the D.R.?
farmland is very cheap depending if your planning to live OUT on the property.

normally you can do as you please on your farm as long as your not too close to living communities

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
we are planning on moving in 2 months...

we will be renting a property for at least 6 months anyway... but are of course already looking into possibilities...

We would not mind living on the property, and being secluded (You would be out of your mind if you tried to enter the property without our permission), but can we renovate/build a house as we would want it, with f.e. pool and tropical garden...

thanks for the info jorgesarduysousa, if you have more, please let us know it

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
The race is on

Who will be the first :cheeky:

A friendly race that is

As discussed on the phone

lets train together and show the caraiben what dogs can do

Greetings

Johan

sicknote

Jun 9, 2009
hi

im looking for a dog and want to train it properly , what area of dr aye you going to be based

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
As things stand i'll be based in the neighborhood of Santo Domingo

I'll be in the DR the second part of july

Greetings

Johan

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
If a seller describes a property as "Farmland" you ought to be prepared to find:

• difficult or no road acces.
  • remote from "civilization" location.
  • no services like electric power, water or phone near the property.
  • property (land) in raw condition (mostly hills with wild vegetation).
Properties with services (power, water and/or phone) "near" (lets call that easily 300m or more away), are usually not clearly described as farmland.
Bringing services to a property is not as easy as even the law would suggest. In very remote situations you can simply bet on having to forget about it.
Flat and/or clean land will usually be offered as Finca or Hacienda.

Moving onto farmland may be done and may be a rewarding experience, but I would suggest you first acquire perfect local Spanish skills and spend at least a year living within a "civilized" area until you get to know Dominican "culture" in depth before moving into the campo.

... J-D.

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
We have about 20 acres in the area of San Luis, close to the Old Sugar Cane Factory that we would like to do a project of that sort. Breed/train dogs, Pasofino horses, etc... still a few years away. We have power, water with the Osama river running by it, etc.. My dad has another part heading towards La Victoria that he practically cherishes. May be my retirement place. It's elevated and from the farm house we can see the whole area.. I may visit some time..

Good Luck, I hope you find a nice spot for your venture.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
we are planning on moving in 2 months...

we will be renting a property for at least 6 months anyway... but are of course already looking into possibilities...

We would not mind living on the property, and being secluded (You would be out of your mind if you tried to enter the property without our permission), but can we renovate/build a house as we would want it, with f.e. pool and tropical garden...

thanks for the info jorgesarduysousa, if you have more, please let us know it

you make a so called deslinde on the property which shows your construction plans and go ahead with house/pool aso, such is no problem.
just never do a construction without the proper permit,
authorities would wait til you are finished and then bring the bulldozer.

when you are settled down here breeding those dogs let us know here on the bord, i can imagine that you get rid of a bunch right away.

you mentioned to rent for 6 months first,
such would be the way to go before purchasing a house or condo or such to get familiar with the area, i doubt that somebody rents a Finca/Hacienda, specially for such a short time period.

i would suggest that you move down here in a area where the requested kind of properties are available, without the dogs, and spend some months living in a small rural community, that way you will find out unlimited info an available properties/rates and what it is like to live secluded in the DR.
i love it myself, but i know it is not eveybody's thingy.
and when moving to such a community do not tell anybody there about your plans, the dogs, not even that you are looking for a finca to buy, such would bring up the rates for you in that whole area by 5-10.
just spend time in the community to blend in, so people will talk with you about this and that, and that way you can get your questions asked as a sideeffect.
good luck
Mike