Banco Popular in Gurabo Santiago

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Hi,

I withdraw 10,000 pesos using the ATM machine yesterday. I attempted to withdraw a further 8,000 pesos, but the machine run out of cash.

I drove to another office at 27 Febrero Autobanco where I was able to withdraw 8,000 pesos. I have just checked my bank statement and Banco Popular in Gurabo have debited my account with the 8,000 that I tried to withdraw.

Can anybody tell me whether they've had a similar problem and what I can do to get my money back?

Thanks,

Tish

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2008
go to the bank, they have cameras and could verify that no money was physically taken, BUT you will have to wait, SPEED is not in their vocabulary

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Yes run to the bank.

If you are withdrawing funds from a US account, by far the best, cheapest, easiest and most secure way is to write personal chacks and cash them at a local cambio house. I finally did this after a couple years here and wasted a whole lot of time, money and headaches until I did.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Yes run to the bank.

If you are withdrawing funds from a US account, by far the best, cheapest, easiest and most secure way is to write personal chacks and cash them at a local cambio house. I finally did this after a couple years here and wasted a whole lot of time, money and headaches until I did.

I'm withdrawing funds from a UK account. I've been living here for two years now and it's the first time it's happened, I think. I'm going to Banco Popular today with my husband, as my spanish isn't that good. I'm hoping they have me on camera. If not, then what?

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Contact your UK bank and they'll start an investigation and most likely refund your cash. It happened to me at the Popular in Sosua. My bank credited my account.

Good Luck

I contacted my UK bank this morning. They said that if I didn't received the money at Banco Popular then my UK bank account will automatically be credited within 48 hours.

My bank advised that there is no need to visit Banco Popular, because it is an automated credit transaction that takes place in these circumstances. My bank, also, advised that if I don't receive the credit transaction within the 48 hours then to contact them again and their 'Investigation Team' will handle everything.

So, I think I'll wait and see what happens over the next few days.

Thanks

lajackael

Dec 12, 2004
pages.prodigy.net
I had a similar experience at the same ATM in Gurabo. It happened to me twice(about a year ago). At that time that bank was new. That ATM was close to my house and convienent. After the second time I have not gone close to that bank. I like you contacted my bank and the money was returned in less then 48 hours. The lady bank manager is a good friend of mine there(for 4 years) but I chose to contact my USA bank. It seems that particular ATM should be "always" avoided.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Banco Popular Gurabo

I've been using this branch for almost a year with no problems. This particular day there were problems both with their drive-thru and the ATM on the wall. I think they were just having a bad day, but I am hesitant to use this location again. I quite like the one on 27 Febrero. It somehow feels safer and more reliable.

YasminH

Aug 29, 2008
Cashing U.S. checks

Yes run to the bank.

Hi Chip, I assume you mean cashing a typical U.S. checking account check - with bank account and routing number on it, right?

Is there ever a hold placed on the check before you can recieve the cash funds when cashing in DR?

Also, when you say local cambio house, how is that different from a bank?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hi Chip, I assume you mean cashing a typical U.S. checking account check - with bank account and routing number on it, right?

Is there ever a hold placed on the check before you can recieve the cash funds when cashing in DR?

Also, when you say local cambio house, how is that different from a bank?

There is no hold because you are not deposting it to another bank. A cambio house will take the check and advance you the money up front. Typically, the will require an established customer to guarantee the first few checks.

In the end, depending on how many times one uses the ATM machines here, one can save hundreds of dollars every year by using personal checks instead of using local atm's with foreign check cards. For example, transaction fees can range from say US3 up to over US10, and where a local bank might give you RD34.5 for one US dollar, the cambio houses will give you RD36.0 or so.

Check out your transaction fees and calculate the exchange rate they are giving you and you can calculate the real numbers yourself to see if it is worthwhile.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Finally...

Hi,

I withdraw 10,000 pesos using the ATM machine yesterday. I attempted to withdraw a further 8,000 pesos, but the machine run out of cash.

I drove to another office at 27 Febrero Autobanco where I was able to withdraw 8,000 pesos. I have just checked my bank statement and Banco Popular in Gurabo have debited my account with the 8,000 that I tried to withdraw.

Can anybody tell me whether they've had a similar problem and what I can do to get my money back?

Thanks,

Tish

I finally received the reimbursement from my UK bank after, patiently, waiting a little over 8 weeks.