Mr. Lu needs some help......

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Ok. Here goes a shot in the dark!! I am trying to get some things on my To-Do list done. Each year I try to get 5 things done as a way to learn something new and get in the habit of completing goals. An illusive goal is to learn how to ride a motorcycle. I love bikes but never learned, aside from falling off of one when I was younger.

Does anyone know the who, what, where, when or why about learning how to ride a bike in SD or in the DR? Is there a school in the city that teaches this? Or something at the speedway on Las Americas? Does anyone want to be a good samaritan and teach Mr. Lu to ride? I'll buy you a Menta Guardia and Chiclets.

Any help or legitimate suggestions would be really appreciated.

Mr. Lu

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ok. Here goes a shot in the dark!! I am trying to get some things on my To-Do list done for this year. Each year I try to get 5 things done as a way to learn something and get in the habit of completing goals. An illusive goal is to learn how to ride a motorcycle. I love bikes but never learned, aside from falling off of one when I was younger.

Does anyone know the who, what, where, when or why about learning how to ride a bike in SD or in the DR? Is there a school in the city that teaches this? Or something at the speedway on Las Americas? Does anyone want to be a good samaritan and teach Mr. Lu to ride? I'll buy you a Menta Guardia and Chiclets.

Mr. Lu
Lu-come to Jarabacoa for a couple of days.

I will teach you how to ride a real motorcycle.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Is swimming no longer on your list? Afraid Sue will let you drown cuz you still owe her a million?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Is swimming no longer on your list? Afraid Sue will let you drown cuz you still owe her a million?

The million is coming slowly. I stopped eating so much, so I could pay her off!!!! And it is still on my To-Do list. Once I get a chance to get back in the water I am doing it. I just need to get back in the water....:ermm:

?

? bient?t

And if and when you acquire a bike, just remember that there are two types: those that have been dropped and those that will be dropped.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Mr. Lu-I' m in the process of looking into this myself here in NYC-what a coincidence.

A co-worker friend of mine was gracious enough to give me a nice helmet she had no use for-I would start with that regardless of what type of riding you'll be doing.

Owning a helmet will make it easier for you to jump on a bike at a moments' notice, and they are a personal choice-not every helmet feels the same and it's good to have one you feel comfortable with at all times.

Then, decide which type of bike you'd prefer, the crotch rocket or the cruiser, also known as a "hog". You can learn to ride both no problem, but they are different-you'll have to decide which type would suit your preference. Me personally, I would leave the crotch rockets for the track and the road hogs to tour the DR.

These are just a few things for you to consider-Cobraboy I'm sure will guide you in the right direction.

Good luck!!! You WILL enjoy riding, that is for sure!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok. Here goes a shot in the dark!! I am trying to get some things on my To-Do list done. Each year I try to get 5 things done as a way to learn something new and get in the habit of completing goals. An illusive goal is to learn how to ride a motorcycle. I love bikes but never learned, aside from falling off of one when I was younger.

Mr. Lu

I'll tell you the same thing I told my son, ARE YOU CRAZY?

Maybe riding a bike is fun in deserted places but SD? :paranoid:

PS
he went for a jet ski instead

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Hey....

Mr. Lu-I' m in the process of looking into this myself here in NYC-what a coincidence.

A co-worker friend of mine was gracious enough to give me a nice helmet she had no use for-I would start with that regardless of what type of riding you'll be doing.

Owning a helmet will make it easier for you to jump on a bike at a moments' notice, and they are a personal choice-not every helmet feels the same and it's good to have one you feel comfortable with at all times.

Then, decide which type of bike you'd prefer, the crotch rocket or the cruiser, also known as a "hog". You can learn to ride both no problem, but they are different-you'll have to decide which type would suit your preference. Me personally, I would leave the crotch rockets for the track and the road hogs to tour the DR.

These are just a few things for you to consider-Cobraboy I'm sure will guide you in the right direction.

Good luck!!! You WILL enjoy riding, that is for sure!!!

Berzin,

Thanks for your post. I have always loved bikes. Ever since I was a kid. My older half - brother loved them. Crotch rockets was his thing and I love those. Moto GP is great and I would love to ride, but just on a track. I would never ride those on a road, in the DR. I want to learn the cruisers types for now. I figure each bike has its different styles, but I just want to be able to get on one and ride. I hate cars, because they are cumbersome, so a bike, to me seems like the best option.

I already have the motorcycle jacket. Even though its a cordura style racing jacket, its tough leather. A friend also offered to give me a helmet, which I will use in the meantime. Safety is my number one concern, so I don't want to just jump on a bike and learn bad techniques.

I don't plan on buying a bike for now or racing. But aside from learning to learn, and finish my list of To-Dos, I just want to learn the basics and get good riding skills and then explore it from there.

Hopefully I can do a cool video and post it for you guys to see on DR1! I'm excited at the thought.

Cheers,

Mr. Lu

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Once I get a chance to get back in the water I am doing it. I just need to get back in the water....:ermm:

Hey Lu you are surrounded by water...learning how to swim should come first . Riding a bike can wait LOL
Btw are you Caribbean? Just asking because I find it interesting that so many island people are afraid of the water and cant swim.
Good luck

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

I'll tell you the same thing I told my son, ARE YOU CRAZY?

Maybe riding a bike is fun in deserted places but SD? :paranoid:

Not really for SD, Anna. I just want to complete my To-Do list, but I also want to be able to do a cross country ride and things like that. That'd be like a cool adventure, in a year. Ride a bike through the DR, stopping in small towns along the way. I've thought about doing that in the states as well. But I have to learn how to ride first!!! I don't even drive in SD, let alone ride a motorbike.

And like I said in my OP, even if I don't ever ride again, I just like completing my goals. I don't like making a goal for myself and not completing it, or at least giving it a try! I love bikes, but safety is my #1 concern.

Thanks for caring, I do appreciate it!

Mr. Lu

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Hey Lu you are surrounded by water...learning how to swim should come first . Riding a bike can wait LOL
Btw are you Caribbean? Just asking because I find it interesting that so many island people are afraid of the water and cant swim.
Good luck

Is me not knowing how to swim a running joke on DR1, and I didn't know about it?? Jajajajja!!

I wasn't able to swim as a child for health reasons, so it's why I never learned. As an adult, I still have the concerns so I want to learn how to swim, but that stops me at times!!!

And yes, learning to swim is a priority. It will be #1 after I learn how to ride a bike....

BTW, I tried to learn last year with Sue. She was an instructor.....and she couldn't teach me. She is proof that I can't float in salt water....so it's not for lack of trying. I need swim duckies.

Mr. Lu

Mr. Lu

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
You are an expert motorcycle rider when you can ride the length of a one and a half foot dike that separates two Southeast Asian paddy fields without dunking the bike.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Not really for SD, Anna. I just want to complete my To-Do list, but I also want to be able to do a cross country ride and things like that. That'd be like a cool adventure, in a year. Ride a bike through the DR, stopping in small towns along the way. I've thought about doing that in the states as well. But I have to learn how to ride first!!! I don't even drive in SD, let alone ride a motorbike.

Mr. Lu
You can do that here: www.motocaribe.com...:glasses:

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
BTW, I tried to learn last year with Sue. She was an instructor.....and she couldn't teach me. She is proof that I can't float in salt water....so it's not for lack of trying. I need swim duckies.
Mr. Lu

I can tell you all that Lu is THE first person I have ever met that can't float in salt water!! It's the craziest thing...but true! I do understand it though - and I'm sure it can be overcome in time.

The offer still stands Lu....just come on down to the North Coast......million or not.....I will not let you drown! :)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Berzin,

Thanks for your post. I have always loved bikes. Ever since I was a kid. My older half - brother loved them. Crotch rockets was his thing and I love those. Moto GP is great and I would love to ride, but just on a track. I would never ride those on a road, in the DR. I want to learn the cruisers types for now. I figure each bike has its different styles, but I just want to be able to get on one and ride. I hate cars, because they are cumbersome, so a bike, to me seems like the best option.

I already have the motorcycle jacket. Even though its a cordura style racing jacket, its tough leather. A friend also offered to give me a helmet, which I will use in the meantime. Safety is my number one concern, so I don't want to just jump on a bike and learn bad techniques.

I don't plan on buying a bike for now or racing. But aside from learning to learn, and finish my list of To-Dos, I just want to learn the basics and get good riding skills and then explore it from there.

Hopefully I can do a cool video and post it for you guys to see on DR1! I'm excited at the thought.

Cheers,

Mr. Lu
There are other varieties than either sportbikes (crotch rockets) and heavy cruisers. Sportbikes have unforgiving suspensions for the roads of the DR, and Harley-type cruisers are much too heavy and lack the nimbleness the DR roads require. Neither do dirt roads that well.

Dirt bikes are great for dirt and dirt backroads, but the gearing, tires and suspensions are not made for normal street riding.

Many "standard" work fairly well here.

Motocaribe found, in doing exhaustive research of every production motorcycle available, that the perfect all-around bike for the DR are the new genre of "dual sport" bikes that KTM, Kawasaki, Honda, Ducati and BMW produce. Our choice, based on extensive criteria was the Suzuki V-Strom DL650. It finished on top of nearly every category we considered: performance, ergonomics, maintenance, parts availability, ease of service, ruggedness, and price being the most prominent.

BTW, Lu, that Cordura jacket is just fine. Did it come with armor?

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Is me not knowing how to swim a running joke on DR1, and I didn't know about it?? Jajajajja!!

Well I didnt know before you mentioned it in this thread LOL
But I understand when you dont learn as a child, its hard to get over that fear. IMO its an important life skill. But remember you were swimming and floating around in the womb for 9months, so you can do it!
And I find it difficult to float in salt water as well?