Tires/info

ken kopas

Jun 22, 2003
I need to replace the tires on my car. Can anyone recommend a good brand of tire and a reputable dealer in Sosua that will mount, spin balance and do a front-end alignment?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Ken

TheHun

May 4, 2008
What kind of car? What are you using it for? Do you have to drive off-road?
If you have TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) make sure the shop / tech will know about it. The sensors are easy to damage, and - depends on the brand- but most are not cheap to replace.
Michelins are very good, long life tire, but also expensive.
For SUVs Bridgestone has the Dueler AT Revo. One of the best tire ever for SUVs / Trucks.
There are different Dueler AT, some are not as good as the Revo.
Good Years are overpriced and the quality as far from being as it use to be. There are lot better quality tires for less $.
You can check the tire's rating at www dot tirerack dot com. Select the tire that you want, scroll down and you can see the rating.
Before you replace your tires get your mechanic check your suspension well.
Wear patterns on your old tires can also indicate suspension problems.
Get your tires balanced and also get a wheel alignment.
Actually get an alignment and balance least once per year. The DR roads are not vehicle friendly.

The Hun

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I got 4 new tires put on at the shop in Sosua that's just east of the Texaco (on same side of the road).

I picked out the tires I wanted, went for a sandwich, and when I got back they were finished.

Other than breaking off two lug nuts & only 3 tires matching (uhm, why didn't you mention that when we were choosing the tires?) they did a fine job. ;)

I'll take the blame. I should know better than to leave the car with anyone to be worked on. Lesson re-learned. At least the same battery was still in it...

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I got 4 new tires put on at the shop in Sosua that's just east of the Texaco (on same side of the road).

I picked out the tires I wanted, went for a sandwich, and when I got back they were finished.

Other than breaking off two lug nuts & only 3 tires matching (uhm, why didn't you mention that when we were choosing the tires?) they did a fine job. ;)

I'll take the blame. I should know better than to leave the car with anyone to be worked on. Lesson re-learned. At least the same battery was still in it...

Darn, I forgot to mention the lug nuts. Most DR mechanic does not use torque wrench or torque sticks. That is why they are keep breaking the lug nuts. A plain air wrench will produce over 300 Lbs torque which is 3-4 times of the specs. Also, good luck to remove your wheels in a case of a flat tire.
BTW, this method can and will ruin your wheels, can warp your brake rotors, etc...
Make sure they will torque the lug nuts with torque stick or torque wrench to the manufacturer's specs.
There is a dominican mechanic next to my shop and the guy never seen a torque stick in his life before. :surprised
He also told me that many mechanics here don't even torque the cylinder heads to the factory specs for 2 reasons, they don't have a torque wrench and they don't know the factory specs. But this is an other matter.

The Hun