Civil Service and the Dominican Republic

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I saw this from the DR1 news:

DR1 said:
Fernandez states the obvious
During a meeting with members of the government's ethics committees, President Leonel Fernandez admitted that public administration in the DR is lacking in the organization and discipline that would make public institutions more efficient in meeting the country's needs. He added that public institutions are missing a uniform system, similar to that of the private sector. Fernandez went on to say that weaknesses in the current system have not allowed the prevention of corruption in public administration.
To back up his arguments, Fernandez presented the business model of fast food conglomerate McDonald's, which runs all its stores worldwide with the same standards of operation.
The President said this must be implemented in the DR, but conceded that political will was needed in order to achieve this.

That IS stating the obvious.

Leonel laments correctly, but does nothing. And HE could do something if HE had the "political will": he and his party could propose legislation that eliminates all forms of clientelism and nepotism.

I am on record as stating that the DR gubmint will NEVER become efficient nor corruption-free until an actual civil service system is in place. As much as I detest bureaucracy, there needs to be a gubmint worker class free of political influence before real progress on institutional reform can even be considered. Without an impartial (as much as is possible within a political entity) bureaucratic work force that preceeds and survives any elected official, meaningful reform is just lipstick on a pig.

What say you?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The dictatorship may have been truncated by the assassination of Trujillo 48 years ago, but that philosophy of corruption and power at all costs to fill my pockets still pervades the society.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes Robert,
i agree on that one.
when positions depend on the elected party and get passed on to the next person from the next elected party corruption/clientelismn is impossible to stop, not even possible to shut down a bit.
there are many important positions of a country's administration which should strictly be done by people who are not depending on any political party/leader nor depending on the outcome of the next or 2nd next elections.
they have to run a country,
they have to make decisions which may talke effect after the next election.
so as a simple example:
a actual gubmin starts the construction of a urgently needed new bridge over a river, 60% finished/contracts signed/big bucks paid, and uupps, we have a election, next party is on and decides to stop that grap to put their 4 years bucks into an other Metro or whatsoever.
a political party independent private administration on a bunch of sectors would be a key goal for a big push forward.
my 2 cents
Mike

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Most astute people that move here recognize this, but what to do? It raises my blood pressure even thinking about the abuses here. I have to keep on telling myself that no place is perfect and look at the good things here, like the geneality, the weather and great beer and good times with good friends. :)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Setting up a professional civil service in government would be a big step forward but as cb pointed out there is no political will to do it.

It's another matter entirely to get consistent "civil service" from employees in restaurants, banks, phone companies, cable companies and other service oriented businesses. :tired:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This government has made some very small gestures like creating a university course for civil servants. There are some notable exceptions in the public administration where non-politically aligned professionals are employed solely because of their skills and qualifications, but these are still rare.

It will take an enormous amount of political will, especially as Leonel and his government and all other governments achieved and maintained their power on the basis of clientilism.