beach chairs

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I'm looking for the standard aluminum with nylon-ish straps beach chairs on the North Coast. I can't find them anywhere from Puerto Plata to Gaspar Hernandez. Anyone who has been to the beach in the North East US knows the type of chairs I'm talking about, they're everywhere here in the NY area but not in the DR. - D

Jan 17, 2009
Never seen the straps type beach chairs in the DR, not even at PriceSmart. They're not very comfy but they're so light, easy to carry, and so inexpensive!! Let us know if you find them.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
The Patio store in Sousa, across from the car wash heading to Cabarete, sell beach chairs. They have different types. However they know what they have and their not cheap as in the US.

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007
The Patio store in Sousa, across from the car wash heading to Cabarete, sell beach chairs. They have different types. However they know what they have and their not cheap as in the US.

That's where I bought one for my wife exactly the same as she has in NJ, and actually I paid exactly the same price as in Jersey . But then again we live in a tourist town there also so beach stuff is also priced accordingly. Not exactly the same chair as you describe, this is high back canvas, wooden arm rests with drink holders. $50 USD.

For as much as she likes to sit on the beach in Cabarete, its more than paid for itself, not to mention when i drag her to Encuentro and other beaches where there are no rentals ...

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
That's where I bought one for my wife exactly the same as she has in NJ, and actually I paid exactly the same price as in Jersey . But then again we live in a tourist town there also so beach stuff is also priced accordingly. Not exactly the same chair as you describe, this is high back canvas, wooden arm rests with drink holders. $50 USD.

For as much as she likes to sit on the beach in Cabarete, its more than paid for itself, not to mention when i drag her to Encuentro and other beaches where there are no rentals ...

I was there the other day - they had one that was somewhat similar(but not really what I was looking for) at an outrageous price. Perhaps they will replenish their stock. Boy, some of their prices are insulting.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I'm looking for the standard aluminum with nylon-ish straps beach chairs on the North Coast. I can't find them anywhere from Puerto Plata to Gaspar Hernandez. Anyone who has been to the beach in the North East US knows the type of chairs I'm talking about, they're everywhere here in the NY area but not in the DR. - D

I've been here for 8 years and have never laid eyes on these. My recommendation would be to buy them in NY and ship them here. There are shipping companies who can do this fairly inexpensively.

That said, aluminum chairs will likely rust to pieces before you get too much use out of them. Most of these chairs have steel rivets, grommets and the like. Those rust faster than you can drink a Cuba Libre. Be very careful if you bring them down...there is a reason all of us use wood or plastic chairs!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I've been here for 8 years and have never laid eyes on these. My recommendation would be to buy them in NY and ship them here. There are shipping companies who can do this fairly inexpensively.

That said, aluminum chairs will likely rust to pieces before you get too much use out of them. Most of these chairs have steel rivets, grommets and the like. Those rust faster than you can drink a Cuba Libre. Be very careful if you bring them down...there is a reason all of us use wood or plastic chairs!

Then maybe they are not aluminum. The type of chairs I am talking about last forever. They are available on line for $40, so I probably will buy a few and ship them.

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
Then maybe they are not aluminum. The type of chairs I am talking about last forever. They are available on line for $40, so I probably will buy a few and ship them.

Hi Danny,

I know the one your talking about, back in the day they were made of aluminum. They have changed since, a very light metal, maybe something like the bike (motorbecon) not sure of its spelling..Anyway, I think your best bet is to have it shipped as well. I would help you out since I will be having some items sent by my daughter next Month, but I'm kinda far from you.

Best of luck!

Noel

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We checked on having them shipped in. The cost was more then the chairs. If you can find someone shiping their household stuff here it may be worth it. Otherwise where we checked, the numbers don't make it wothwhile.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
They have that type for rent at Playa Caleton. I'm sure it would be possible to buy one.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
We just bought two sand chairs at Pricesmart in Santiago last month in the sporting goods department . I think they were about $35 US.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Are these sit up chairs or lay down sun loungers you are seeking? There were some of the latter in Distribuidora Gonzalez window last week. The branch at Plaza Independencia (Parque Central), Puerto Plata. Looked like laminated nylon type covering, no armrests.

A

apostropheman

Is this what you seek?

I googled it just for the pic but the link is below in case you find you need to order from the mainland.
masterRIB002.jpg

Google Image Result for http://images.netshops.com/mgen/master:RIB002.jpg

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Can you describe them? What color metal, reclinable, etc?

Aluminum frame multi position sand chair with carrying back straps, blue nylon/canvas blend chair covering complete with the requisite cerveza holder

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I googled it just for the pic but the link is below in case you find you need to order from the mainland.
masterRIB002.jpg

Google Image Result for http://images.netshops.com/mgen/master:RIB002.jpg

Exactamente. The standard US beach chair. Comes in many variations - regular chair, sand chair (like 6" above ground), canvas instead of nylon, metal (non-painted) finish. Cheap, lightweight, ubiquitous throughout the beaches of Brooklyn, Queens (Rockaway), Atlantic Beach, Long Beach... normal beach chairs!!!