Cost of living in Santo Domingo

katarina29

Jan 14, 2008
I expect to get, on very short notice, an offer from my employer to work in Santo Domingo for a year. We are now quickly trying to decide if this will work from a financial point of view (we love the DR so there is no problem there).

I have a husband and 11-year-old daughter who would come with me. If we go we want to be able to live comfortably in a nice 3 br-apartment or house in a nice neighborhood. We start off with a total income of 5000 USD net. My husband can maybe pull in another 1000 USD a month but we could not count on it. We would want to send our daughter to a very good school (in English) but my employer pays 75 % of the fee so that does not add too much.

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on this? I guess the cost of house/apartment is one of the main questions.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I expect to get, on very short notice, an offer from my employer to work in Santo Domingo for a year. We are now quickly trying to decide if this will work from a financial point of view (we love the DR so there is no problem there).

I have a husband and 11-year-old daughter who would come with me. If we go we want to be able to live comfortably in a nice 3 br-apartment or house in a nice neighborhood. We start off with a total income of 5000 USD net. My husband can maybe pull in another 1000 USD a month but we could not count on it. We would want to send our daughter to a very good school (in English) but my employer pays 75 % of the fee so that does not add too much.

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on this? I guess the cost of house/apartment is one of the main questions.

Not knowing where you currently reside makes it a little difficult to compare a cost of living comp for you. Santo Domingo can be expensive or economical depending on how you live and where you shop.I live in Mirador Norte in a large 3 bedroom with huge terrace and pay 1000usd per month furnished.
This is actually a good deal but I am sure you can find similar. This area I find is perfect as close to city center and all amenities yet far enough for some peace and quiet. As for Schooling, Carol Morgan private english school is probably the best on the island and is located walking distance from me in Mirador Sur or Sarasota esq. Nunes de caceres area. You should do just fine living a comfortable upper middle class lifestyle at 5000k per month.

Goodluck!

katarina29

Jan 14, 2008
Thank you so much for your reply. I think you pegged us exactly right (upper middle class) and the neighborhood you are talking about sounds like what we are looking for. 1000 USD is less than I expected so that would be a nice surprise. Yes, we would also be looking to rent furnished. How about a house, what would a 3 or 4 Br furnished house cost to rent?

Do you know of any internet sites where one can check out housing for rent?

By the way, we currently live in NY so obviously everything is cheaper than here but here my husband had, until recently, a pretty nice income.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Depending on where you plan to rent in Santo Domingo, rent is as variable as any other country based on going market rates.

Rest assured that you can find a nice apartment in some of the best areas for less than US$1,200 a month! That goes for houses as well!

Cost of living in SD is in fact cheaper than living in coastal (tourist areas) or remote communities in the DR. Food and clothes can be found at bargain prices there.

When considering moving to SD you must understand that part of your home expenses will be paid for, yet most of the time missing most of the time!

That goes for water and electricity. Depending on your housing selection you can assure yourself of both 24/7/365...

Make sure that the apartment is set-up with an inversor (a battery backup power plant), which will make sure blackouts are not going to be a factor in your overall lifestyle/budget. Another important part is a water holding tank for the apt or Cisterna for a home (for all the water needs within the apt or house).

Most upscale apartments within the metro area are set with these important things. Now if they aren't you'll be looking to spend some cash every month on gasoline for the electrical power generator (that you'll have to purchase and have hooked-up to the existing electrical panel), as well as buying water tanks to place within premises when the local utilities are out (which is common).

The most noticeable difference between an upper class area and middle class/upper middle class one will be on noise/quietness, traffic, services (like electrical and water), overall looks.

As some long time expats residing in the DR have come to learn, living within some of the middle class/upper middle class areas saves you a good buck each month, that's without reducing in any major factor in your quality of living.

As posted above Carol Morgan is the overall best (and most expensive) school to send your child to. If your employer is going to be paying 75% of the cost, that's a huge yes-yes to opt for.

Since your plan of stay/work is for one (1) year only, you can go ahead and try living the upper class standard and see if eventually you could make the move to the DR in the future. If you want to live in the DR and stretch your buck as much as possible, going for the middle/upper middle class standard of living might be the best thing to do!

Living on wages of DOP$ 180,000.00 a month is not lower middle class at all...

Your job pay is at a rate most expats already living here in the DR would like to be at.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Thank you so much for your reply. I think you pegged us exactly right (upper middle class) and the neighborhood you are talking about sounds like what we are looking for. 1000 USD is less than I expected so that would be a nice surprise. Yes, we would also be looking to rent furnished. How about a house, what would a 3 or 4 Br furnished house cost to rent?

By the way, we currently live in NY so obviously everything is cheaper than here but here my husband had, until recently, a pretty nice income.

SUPER-CASAS.COM Republica Dominicana venta de casas, apartamentos, villas - Bienes Raices Dominicana

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

Supercasas is probably the best but other choices are here at Dominican Republic Rentals
Dominican Rentals | For Rent in Dominican
Busca tu casa en la Republica Dominicana - Aquitucasa.com

if your searching for an auto supercarros.com is great as well.

Where ever you live, a inversol is mandatory and even ask neighbors about blackout frequency as even an inversol runs out of juice after a while.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1, katarina29. You should be more than fine in Santo Domingo on that income. Best areas for you would be Bella Vista, Mirador Sur or Los Cacicazgos, near the Carol Morgan School and the Mirador Sur park. It's also an area with relatively few blackouts, but it is not immune. We lived there for three years with a power inverter (no generator) and were fine.

There are other good schools in the Piantini, Naco and Arroyo Hondo neighbourhoods which are also nice places to live.

OU812

Jun 15, 2009

I been here coming from N.Y/N.J and make a total of 2,000-3,000 US per Month..I have a nice apartment, 2 B.R/2 full baths, terrace/Balcony <---its called here, very large living room dinning room and large kitchen with service room. here's the good part! These service rooms are for hiring help to clean your place...So, just think of it as having another b/r and 1/2 bath although it's small, its still more for the money! I pay 12,000 peso's that's about $340.00 per Month depending on the rate of the banks..;) I live in Quisqeya, the nieborhood is not that good where I am, but its a nice area overall and in other places. The private schools are not that expensive, it cost us about 5,000 peso's for the registration. By the way, I use 35.4% as my rate since the bank close to me gives that...Than by the Month its 2,000 peso's $54-$56.00 US. But again, just like many other members have stated, it will depend what area you want to live etc..The food is not too cheap especailly the ceral...More than the US as well as the electronics, cars, so on...I would take a trip out here, stay for about 2 weeks if your boss would allow you, and take a good look around ;) But I can help you! My wife does Real Estate P/T PM me and we can speak live. We can exchange numbers or I will just provide you with mine

Good Luck! I hope this helps you some

Noel

Good Luck!! I hope this helps some

katarina29

Jan 14, 2008
Thanks everybody for all the information. Everything sounds very positive so far so we are getting quite excited.

By the way, how do you get around Santo Domingo? Do you need a car? I will be working in Cesar Nicolas Penson, so how far is that from the suitable neighborhoods that have been mentioned? Safety and proximity to a very good school are probably the first considerations for choosing neighborhood.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Cesar Nicolas Penson is just north of Gazcue, so a good 20 min drive (traffic permitting) from most of the areas mentioned. Car is the only way to go in SD, unfortunately, and driving takes some getting used to unless you have had a baptism of fire in another large third world city.

Nearer Cesar Nicolas Penson you have Gazcue itself which used to be the best neighbourhoods in the city and is still nice enough, but none of the good bi-lingual/international schools are that near. You could also look at La Esperilla or La Julia which are in between - very nice and centrally located neighbourhoods IMO.

I suggest you find a map of the city and look at the areas we have mentioned in relation to each other.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
But I can help you! My wife does Real Estate P/T PM me and we can speak live. We can exchange numbers or I will just provide you with mine

Please note that it is against forum rules to promote your business unless you have taken out an ad with DR1. Please contact Robert for rates.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Hum

Chirimoya
none of the good bi-lingual/international schools are that near.

I thought La Salle was bilingual/international it's on Bolivar.

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
Please note that it is against forum rules to promote your business unless you have taken out an ad with DR1. Please contact Robert for rates.

I appoliogize, was not trying to promote, just was helping.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Noel

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chirimoya
none of the good bi-lingual/international schools are that near.

I thought La Salle was bilingual/international it's on Bolivar.
I'm pretty sure La Salle is neither bilingual or international. From what I hear it is a very good school.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Ok

I'm pretty sure La Salle is neither bilingual or international. From what I hear it is a very good school.

Ok my bad, thought it was.
Next closest would be either Carol Morgan, or St. Georges, St Thomas.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
New Horizons, St Michael, Ashton School, Community for Learning are other good international/bi-lingual schools in the capital. There are several good schools in and around Gazcue but none are in the higher-end bilingual range.

katarina29

Jan 14, 2008
Do u need a car in Santo Domingo?

Thanks again everybody. I will look into the school options.

Meanwhile, what was the story about the need for a car? And if so, what would the costs per month run? Can you drive with a foreign driver's license (Swedish or American?)?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
a car is going to be a major headache. first off expensive, 1 1/2 to 2 times what you would pay in NY. then you have a license problem, you can drive on your tourist card for 30 days but after that you need a dominican drivers license. to get that you need legal dominican residency which takes 3 months or more. if you get into a wreck without the proper paper it can cost you your life savings. your insurance co. for the car will deny payment if you don't have the proper license. other posters on this board may correct my numbers but this is a puzzle. without a car, for a family, in SD life is very difficult. the beach is 45 minutes away, either east or west. the mountains further. many middle class dominicans that live in SD leave on the weekend for the beach or countryside. everything seems to always be across town no mattter where you live. you may live close to the school but then the mall or movie theatre will be across town. of course on your income taxis will be cheap but nothing compares to the freedom of getting in the car and taking a ride anytime you feel like it.

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
a car is going to be a major headache. first off expensive, 1 1/2 to 2 times what you would pay in NY. then you have a license problem, you can drive on your tourist card for 30 days but after that you need a dominican drivers license. to get that you need legal dominican residency which takes 3 months or more. if you get into a wreck without the proper paper it can cost you your life savings. your insurance co. for the car will deny payment if you don't have the proper license. other posters on this board may correct my numbers but this is a puzzle. without a car, for a family, in SD life is very difficult. the beach is 45 minutes away, either east or west. the mountains further. many middle class dominicans that live in SD leave on the weekend for the beach or countryside. everything seems to always be across town no mattter where you live. you may live close to the school but then the mall or movie theatre will be across town. of course on your income taxis will be cheap but nothing compares to the freedom of getting in the car and taking a ride anytime you feel like it.

You need a car! We have a car, but without A/C..even that is hard to do with the heat of the DR sun beating down on you. You will never find that $500.00 dollar good to go car as mentioned..For the life of me, I been looking for a good deal on something and the cheapest I have seen was like 105,000 peso's that's about 3,000 US...The city transportation is crazy!!! they only run North and South or East to West in most cases, than you will need to take another car etc...and they are always crowded not to mention HOT! Taxi would be the way to go, ave price is 130-150 peso's about $3.50-$4.50 one way, some have A/C, but most don't. Get a car if you can, or have one shipped from the states if you have something there now. It will be well worth it.

Good Luck again!

Noel

junior8338

Mar 28, 2012
hi my name is felix

i came cross your ad i seen you that u said your wife does real estate p\t well im look to invest in a apartment so i could use it as a vacation home...i dont know much about the real estate market over their i will be coming down their in april so i could expoler my opation...im gonna need some help my spanish is not really that good..send me an email so we could exchange numbers
junior5091987@yahoo.com