Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: buying a telephone

Post Thanks / Like

Default buying a telephone

I understand that the cheapest wayto call the US from the DR is to buy an Alcatel(?) phone with minutes on it. We're staying at a resort-can we buy one there, or at the airport? Any other easy place to do so?Thanks.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

best to get a card. It cost me $7 DR per minute on Claro phone.Thats about 50 cents US per minute

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    best to get a card. It cost me $7 DR per minute on Claro phone.Thats about 50 cents US per minute
    Actually one RD peso = .028 USD, so RD7 = about .20!
    Make sure you learn the exchange rate before opening the Salon.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, oops.
    Thanks for the correction. Also, how do I contac you please?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

no need to contact,
    Tambo knows how to wash her hair without a salon, lol
    to the OP:
    you can by a simcard to load with local prepaid phonecards everywhere in the area, watch out for the signs of "Claro" or "Orange".
    you can use that SIM card in your own phone, just make prior to travel sure your phone is open for the use of those cards.
    the easiest way is to just buy a phone with Sim card down here, the same shops mentioned above available everywhere on the mainroads, a cellphone like the by the OP mentioned Alcatel cost 300-800 pesos including the Sim card and the first 100 pesos loaded on the card.
    i would not know about a shop at the airport, IF a shop at a resort sell's such i would expect to pay much more. at which resort you will stay?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    We're staying at Ocean Blue. I'm not sure which option you are recommending. It sounded like you said to buy a SIM card if my phone co says it will be accepted, but also that buying a phone there is the easiest. When we go to Mexico, the only way to do it is to buy phone cards and use public phones, so I thought buying a cheap phone there would be better and easier. Appreciate definitive advice.
    Thanks.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, the easiest and also a cheap variation is to by such phone and then load up a calling card when ever you need more minutes.
    the Ocean Blue is located just 5 driving minutes from Plaza Bavaro and Plaza Punta Cana and the whole shopping and Plaza's strip between Plaza Bavaro and Friusa. there are even shuttles available to go there for shopping, check their departure shedule with the guest service at the Ocean Blue.
    of course it also depends on how many calling minutes you plan to use during a short 1 weeks stay, if you just want to call home upon arrival to let the family know that your flight went fine and may be one more call towards the end of the stay to tell them all is great, in such cae i would just use the hotel phone and pay a higher fee for two short 2 minutes calls and save the waste of valuable vacation time for shopping aso.
    if you need to do several phone calls or need a phone to be 'always available on vaca", then i would by a cheap one like written above.
    Mike

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the amount of communicating you need to do back to home or work, you might simply consider using the local phone company's retail shops to call from. If you are dropping anchor at a resort this might not be reasonable. We move around alot when there and we stop in these shops, use their land line with great clarity and no dropped calls, and then pay a few cents per minute to the attendant after the call. We don't have to worry whether our phones will be compatible with other sim cards, buying a phone, or minutes we don't use, or finding ourselves in no service areas. Another option for some travelers.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

absolutely right Farmer.
    if it's for the 'check 'em ' calls home to the kids/family/mom aso and you anyways venture off the resort the call centers are the best bet. and they are available everywhere.
    bying a cellphone or Sim card aso is just suitable for people who think they need to be reachable during vacations always/at the pool/on the beach aso.
    to be reachable in case of a family emergency occuring at home just drop the family upon arrival from the hotel's internet center a e-mail with the phonenumber and your roomnumber, so they could leave you a message on the room or on your room's answer machine to call back.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. We need a phone to call home a few times during our stay, so buying one seems best. Your opinio-Alcatel a reliable co? Also, about how much are the phones?
    One other thing, noticing the pricing for taxis from the airport-is that per person? Thanks so much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast