buying a telephone

bill2354

Mar 23, 2009
I understand that the cheapest wayto call the US from the DR is to buy an Alcatel(?) phone with minutes on it. We're staying at a resort-can we buy one there, or at the airport? Any other easy place to do so?:ermm:Thanks.

dgtlman

Nov 7, 2007
best to get a card. It cost me $7 DR per minute on Claro phone.Thats about 50 cents US per minute

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
best to get a card. It cost me $7 DR per minute on Claro phone.Thats about 50 cents US per minute

Actually one RD peso = .028 USD, so RD7 = about .20!
Make sure you learn the exchange rate before opening the Salon.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
no need to contact,
Tambo knows how to wash her hair without a salon, lol
to the OP:
you can by a simcard to load with local prepaid phonecards everywhere in the area, watch out for the signs of "Claro" or "Orange".
you can use that SIM card in your own phone, just make prior to travel sure your phone is open for the use of those cards.
the easiest way is to just buy a phone with Sim card down here, the same shops mentioned above available everywhere on the mainroads, a cellphone like the by the OP mentioned Alcatel cost 300-800 pesos including the Sim card and the first 100 pesos loaded on the card.
i would not know about a shop at the airport, IF a shop at a resort sell's such i would expect to pay much more. at which resort you will stay?
Mike

bill2354

Mar 23, 2009
Mike,
We're staying at Ocean Blue. I'm not sure which option you are recommending. It sounded like you said to buy a SIM card if my phone co says it will be accepted, but also that buying a phone there is the easiest. When we go to Mexico, the only way to do it is to buy phone cards and use public phones, so I thought buying a cheap phone there would be better and easier. Appreciate definitive advice.
Thanks.:ermm:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes, the easiest and also a cheap variation is to by such phone and then load up a calling card when ever you need more minutes.
the Ocean Blue is located just 5 driving minutes from Plaza Bavaro and Plaza Punta Cana and the whole shopping and Plaza's strip between Plaza Bavaro and Friusa. there are even shuttles available to go there for shopping, check their departure shedule with the guest service at the Ocean Blue.
of course it also depends on how many calling minutes you plan to use during a short 1 weeks stay, if you just want to call home upon arrival to let the family know that your flight went fine and may be one more call towards the end of the stay to tell them all is great, in such cae i would just use the hotel phone and pay a higher fee for two short 2 minutes calls and save the waste of valuable vacation time for shopping aso.
if you need to do several phone calls or need a phone to be 'always available on vaca", then i would by a cheap one like written above.
Mike

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Depending on the amount of communicating you need to do back to home or work, you might simply consider using the local phone company's retail shops to call from. If you are dropping anchor at a resort this might not be reasonable. We move around alot when there and we stop in these shops, use their land line with great clarity and no dropped calls, and then pay a few cents per minute to the attendant after the call. We don't have to worry whether our phones will be compatible with other sim cards, buying a phone, or minutes we don't use, or finding ourselves in no service areas. Another option for some travelers.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
absolutely right Farmer.
if it's for the 'check 'em ' calls home to the kids/family/mom aso and you anyways venture off the resort the call centers are the best bet. and they are available everywhere.
bying a cellphone or Sim card aso is just suitable for people who think they need to be reachable during vacations always/at the pool/on the beach aso.
to be reachable in case of a family emergency occuring at home just drop the family upon arrival from the hotel's internet center a e-mail with the phonenumber and your roomnumber, so they could leave you a message on the room or on your room's answer machine to call back.
Mike

bill2354

Mar 23, 2009
Thanks Mike. We need a phone to call home a few times during our stay, so buying one seems best. Your opinio-Alcatel a reliable co? Also, about how much are the phones?
One other thing, noticing the pricing for taxis from the airport-is that per person? Thanks so much.:ermm:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
doesn't matter if the phone brand is Alcatel or any other one, take one activated with a chip from "Claro" or "Orange", both companies have good coverage in the area, others not always. the brand of the phone doesn't matter, take the cheapest one in the store.
they cost including connection/Sim card/first calling card loaded aso all the way 300-1000 pesos, that's 10-30US$.
transfer rates are per ride rates, on cabbies that's for up to 4 persons per ride, on private transfers the rates usually are for up to 5 persons per ride.
cheers
Mike

bill2354

Mar 23, 2009
We got a rate from the the travel agent of $20 per person each way-so that'
s $60 for the three of us. Not clear, (sorry), on your meaning-would a taxi be more or less than $60 to Ocean Blue do you think? Thanks for all your help.:ermm:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
We got a rate from the the travel agent of $20 per person each way-so that'
s $60 for the three of us. Not clear, (sorry), on your meaning-would a taxi be more or less than $60 to Ocean Blue do you think? Thanks for all your help.:ermm:

To hire a taxi for the ride from PUJ - Ocean Blue would be approx. $40US each way for up to 5 passengers. You can verify and book your private taxi (if you like) by e-mailing Bronly at ibkservicios@gmail.com or you can just get a taxi at the airport on arrival; the rate should be + or - within $5US.

Gregg

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
The band its matter, I hear from some people that has some problem with orange there and it was for the band, its better to have at least a 3 band phone.

Another tip its that you can buy a Sim to use in your phone if its unlocked.

Also VIVA has GSM Coverage and the price for the calls within Dominican Republic and USA its 5.40 Dominican Pesos with taxes included.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Viva is not working bad and they are cheap to enter the market, but their coverage is far behind.
Orange and Claro have 100% coverage in the PC area.

calls to the US/Puerto Rico/Canada cost the same than our local phone calls, all companies together range here for the prepaid cards on 5-7 pesos plus tax per minute, that's on the actual exchange rate 20 US$ cents per minute plus the 28% taxes = around 25.5 US$ cents max per minute. i calculated based on the higher 7 pesos per minute rate, so this is the max, if a minute finally costs 2 cents less i guess nobody will complain.

to the transfers:
Gregg wrote it above,
a private transfer with your own Van is around $40.- one way/$80.-two way.
your mentioned Quote of $20.- per person is the usual airport transfer per person quote on the cattle bus.
that transfer isn't bad, but for just around $20.- extra(in your case of a family of 3 just $3.33.- per person one way) you could get a very nice extra comfort and guaranteed no extra stop at any other resort prior to the Ocean Blue.
if you want the comfort of a private Transfer i double the above recommendation from Gregg to use IBK Tourist Services.
top reliable, best services in town on the same rates than their lil competitors, i use their services myself several times a week when my own Vans are occupied.
you can get a qote/info aso from Bronly on
ibkservicios@gmail.com
or by phone on
1-809-299-0582
with a request by e-mail always provide him with info details like full name, airline name, flight number, shedule arrival/departure time, hotelname and number of persons.

have fun and bring us some sun,
it's going dark here over Cabeza de Toro now,
a very rare daytime thunder, but no winds and hot.
Mike

gszenacm

Jun 10, 2009
airport transfers

thanks for the airport transfer information. I have sent an email asking for a quote as I might also use their services next week when we go.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
great,
i know Bronly since over a decade down here, you will not be disappointed with his services.
even that he's not always the fastest in his e-mail answers.
if you need help on that just drop me a message, we use the same private cellphone line, doesn't cost a cent, lol.
have fun on our lovely Isle
Mike

cgarabitos

Jun 22, 2009
Buying a calling card over in the DR is the cheapest way, and having your relatives call you back by buying a calling card in the US gives them even more minutes to talk to you. They can even buy a $2.00 or $5 or even $10 gives them more minutes to call you for that amount of money.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Buying a calling card over in the DR is the cheapest way, and having your relatives call you back by buying a calling card in the US gives them even more minutes to talk to you. They can even buy a $2.00 or $5 or even $10 gives them more minutes to call you for that amount of money.
they could even call ya from their landline based phone connection without the need to buy any phonecard.
welcome to DR1 btw
Mike