ATM Card Taken!! Scota bank Santo Domingo

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
Hello fellow members,

Sigh!! Its becoming real fun lately...I just went to the bank to take out some money. My bank is still located in New Jersey being T.D Bank former Commerce. I need to keep my account there due to personnal reasons..Anyway, their ATM machine has taken my card!!! There were some workers inside, one who spoke English, told him what happened..He stated that I would need to come back on Monday, show proof like my passport and they will give me my card back. Well, this is the bad part..I just got my new card via UPS from T.D Bank because my other card was compromised!!! Its not unheard of from what I been told..And to top it off, TD Bank spent over $100.00 US to send me this card of only 2 weeks old because the knuckleheads at UPS could not find my address and sent it back 2 times!!! Long story...So, my wife is informing me that since my card is International, some of these banks cut your card in half...I would be totally screwed if that happened since I need money now!!!

I would like to get some of your feedback, thoughts, anything that I can expect since I don't understand why I could not get my card now! I think its B.S because the Manager of the bank was there, but maybe the ATM machines are managed differently here, no idea...I contacted TD Bank, they checked my card and its been closed. I'm happy about that!! and they said once I get my card back, they can re-activate it. Also, they have no idea why my card was taken by the ATM machine, so if anyone has a good reason, or think its foul play, please advise.

I appreciate any and all information that you can provide in this very important matter,

Thanks again!!

Noel

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
It happens all the time and you will have to wait until Monday and bring your identification like the man suggested. That is the way it works and that is the reason it is suggested to use your card during business hours so that you can retrieve it right away if the machine eats it up.

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
It happens all the time and you will have to wait until Monday and bring your identification like the man suggested. That is the way it works and that is the reason it is suggested to use your card during business hours so that you can retrieve it right away if the machine eats it up.

Hey B,

Any idea why that happened? That's what I would like to know since my card was compromised in the past. TD Bank at the time could not pinpoint where or what bank compromised my last card, so its a real worry..Also, do you have any advice for when your card gets compromised? Who can you report this to here in the DR?

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I had my card eaten by the ATM at the Scotia Bank on M?ximo G?mez in Santo Trafficjam once shortly after closing time. When my card was eaten I realized that it had happened to the man who had been in the enclosed ATM before me.

I went to the front door and heard them telling him he had to come back the next day with identification.

He left and I smiled and waved my cedula. They retrieved ny card for me right away.

Reactions: Rocky

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
Hey B,

Any idea why that happened? That's what I would like to know since my card was compromised in the past. TD Bank at the time could not pinpoint where or what bank compromised my last card, so its a real worry..Also, do you have any advice for when your card gets compromised? Who can you report this to here in the DR?
I do not know the reason the ATM machines eat up cards so frequently. If it happens to you you have to retrieve it and if the machine does not give you the money that it charges you for you have to claim it from your own bank. The bank where the ATM is will do nothing and it is a waste of time to try.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Card Fraud

I do not know the reason the ATM machines eat up cards so frequently.
There are many reasons (chewing gum, adhesive tape, people inside the bank...).
Simple advice: Do not trust Dominican banks and less their machines. :cheeky:

OU812

Jun 15, 2009
There are many reasons (chewing gum, adhesive tape, people inside the bank...).
Simple advice: Do not trust Dominican banks and less their machines. :cheeky:

Hey Don,

I hear you! Lets see what happens on Monday...Listen, I'm doing some revamping of my XP Windows...I should by on Skype later around 6 P.M see you later..I'll call you.

Noel

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
drill a hole in your card and attach thin fishing line so that you can pull it back out, it might work.......................or screw up the ATM........worth a try, but then again the bank may accuse you of breaking their machine and you have to pay the manager 20K pesos or he will call the cops.......

Reactions: Rocky

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Be careful of you card, mine was stolen by a family member and was used for a half year. When we realized it was gone we went to the police which gave us permission to retrieve the bank photos from the machine. Guess what they claim there was no photos The card had been used many times at two different machines.