Hotel Loro Tuerto?

gataylor

Feb 22, 2007
There was a posting on a different thread about a half-year ago saying the Hotel Loro Tuerto was about to open. They have an interesting website, but it contains no details about the hotel itself. Did the hotel get off the ground? Can anyone provide some personal experience about it? Thanks

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
The Hotel is open and a spanish couple run the business.
The rooms are small, but all new and nice. In front of the rooms you have a nice andquiet garden.
Rooms with warm water and Aire / Tv
as I remember: 1500 RDS/night
For me also the best decorated bar.
You find the hotel as follow:
Enter Barahona, a few meter before Muebles Ray (that store you can't miss, a huge sign over the street).
The Hotel is a wodden and red painted construction.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Looks nice, but...

The hotel looks nice and new, I have asked to see the rooms and they seemed REALLY plain, like they had all un-finished furniture (like plywood?). The restaurant looks cool, probably the most interesting looking in town, BUT the one time that I ate there I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the food. I got the spaghetti, and it was literally like spaghetti noodles with ketchup sauce. No seasoning, no cheese, no bread...and it was $200. Give me Dominican espagetis any day over that. The person I was with got a club sandwich, and they are def. better elsewhere. I felt the food was over-priced and the cooks extremely poorly trained. OH and also a 10 oz. Coke was 50. It's not Cabarete, so price accordingly. I hope things have improved, but will never go there again as even in Barahona there are better options than that. I mentioned all this to the people working and they didn't seem to care. :ermm:

I pass by there often, and the place is empty 99% of the time. Suggestions to owners: improve food quality, offer more affordable and common Dominican food as people in Barahona cannot afford to buy $500 tapas and you can't just count on tourists for clients. Have specials and try to promote the place.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
The hotel looks nice and new, I have asked to see the rooms and they seemed REALLY plain, like they had all un-finished furniture (like plywood?). The restaurant looks cool, probably the most interesting looking in town, BUT the one time that I ate there I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the food. I got the spaghetti, and it was literally like spaghetti noodles with ketchup sauce. No seasoning, no cheese, no bread...and it was $200. Give me Dominican espagetis any day over that. The person I was with got a club sandwich, and they are def. better elsewhere. I felt the food was over-priced and the cooks extremely poorly trained. OH and also a 10 oz. Coke was 50. It's not Cabarete, so price accordingly. I hope things have improved, but will never go there again as even in Barahona there are better options than that. I mentioned all this to the people working and they didn't seem to care. :ermm:

I pass by there often, and the place is empty 99% of the time. Suggestions to owners: improve food quality, offer more affordable and common Dominican food as people in Barahona cannot afford to buy $500 tapas and you can't just count on tourists for clients. Have specials and try to promote the place.

Hi Minerva, I have never eaten at this restaurant but all your suggestions seem very valid, Los Robles seems to be a much better option.

Regards

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
@Minerva
Ok, I agree with the prices. I get my coffe. Black, no milk no sugar. Small cup and 40 RDS. When I talked with the owner (also with his wife), they said that they do not run a restaurant. They just offer some small things.
And now I know why.
Los Robles? Well, 400 + for the cocktail with langosta. And that is a small cup, hardly to find langosta in there. And the 1/2 chicken? 180 + and that I get much bigger and more tasty in the street (El fuerte, Pollo al carbon).
LEt's say it this way: Barahona is not ready yet to serve tourists with desires in direction of "international cuisine".
The so called "best restaurant in town" Brisas del Caribe I just went in and out. Long time ago it must be ok, bu tnow is a lot of renovation needed. Maybe new tableclothes also. And I really hate a menu card without any advises about: net price? or +Itbis? or +Itbis and Service? Everybody has hs own rules...and if you don't ask, be prepared to get 26% on top!
If I have to go out (normally I cook better than the cooks in the typical restaurants here) I go to CASA BONITA!