relationship rights?

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Greetings,

I'd like to get some information regarding the rights of both a foreign (American) man involved in a relationship with a Dominican woman.

If the couple is not married and mutually choose to end the relationship, but lived together for a few months and there is a pregnancy involved...what legal rights (if any) does the woman have in regards to demanding money and/or access to Dominican-based assets?

I've heard talk of involving the local "fiscal" and/or the police however I've also seen conflicting information...any advice greatly appreciated.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Greetings,

I'd like to get some information regarding the rights of both a foreign (American) man involved in a relationship with a Dominican woman.

If the couple is not married and mutually choose to end the relationship, but lived together for a few months and there is a pregnancy involved...what legal rights (if any) does the woman have in regards to demanding money and/or access to Dominican-based assets?

I've heard talk of involving the local "fiscal" and/or the police however I've also seen conflicting information...any advice greatly appreciated.

"Legally" there is very little, "morally" there is obviously a need to care for the unborn as s/he should not be have to pay for the difficulties.

That said, there is a common theme you will discover with the local 'fiscal' (a District Attorney, in effect). If the lady claims she was forced into the relationship, beaten, forced to have sex, etc. etc. then the fiscal can be very difficult. If possible, it is best to resolve it before getting the court system involved.

The strange thing in this country is that the lady can claim a lot and then you get the job of proving you did not do <whatever>. Proving a negative is pretty difficult!

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
"Legally" there is very little, "morally" there is obviously a need to care for the unborn as s/he should not be have to pay for the difficulties.

Not accurate, legally they'll nail the guy to the wall and cut his male apparatus, 2402 is the name of the law that deal with child support and it's been long considered the only law nobody can escape from in DR. Family courts are often presided by women whose only purpose is to make the father pay, those are not family courts but rather slaughter houses where they butcher men one at a time.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Family courts are often presided by women whose only purpose is to make the father pay, those are not family courts but rather slaughter houses where they butcher men one at a time.

Oh stop with the drama. You make a mistake, get a DNA test then step up to the plate and be responsible for your mistakes.

from Mr Guzman

Yes, your child has the right to receive support from his or her father (Articles 170 and 171 of Law #136-03 - "Codigo del Menor"). You can begin proceedings against him here in the Dominican Republic if he lives here.

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Thank you for the replies. Once again there seems to be a bit of conflicting information. The original post is not really a question of child support, but rather one of what rights the woman may or may not have in regards to monetary compensation for herself, as well as her ability (or lack thereof) to claim the assets of the man involved.
For example, I've heard of situations whereby a man might pay for an apartment and food for a woman...which goes beyond "child support"...thus my question is more in regards to support for the woman rather than the child...just to make myself a bit more clear. Thank you in advance.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Each spouse married under community property rules owns 50% of all community assets, and in case of divorce, has rights over 50% of those assets.

The question is whether a Dominican Court will apply the same principle to a couple living together but not married. Some lower courts have done so during this decade; however, the Supreme Court has overturned each one of those rulings.

Reactions: MikeFisher

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
great info like always, Fabio, thanks.

interesting to read that lower courts tend to go the other way but finally get overruled again by the supreme court, sounds like a wast of courthours.

is there no time period when a not married couple would then on count as a married couple?
just curious.
thanks
Mike

DRICK1274

Aug 13, 2008
Greetings,

Next time use a Condon. these guys kill me going down there making babies then looking for a way out or shirking their responsilities.Just be glad all you ended up with was a baby.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that's right,
first the prob is on the abuelita to raise it and then the baby has it's probs on it's own outtha on the streets.
those "daddies" should legally get caught where ever they trie to hide, in their home country on the dinner table with their 'beloved wife'.
some countries have such relationships to each others to bring the "high educated high IQ guys of such countries" to their respnsabilities.
i applaud that.

who had his fun should pay the .. the next day.
Mike

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Not accurate, legally they'll nail the guy to the wall and cut his male apparatus, 2402 is the name of the law that deal with child support and it's been long considered the only law nobody can escape from in DR. Family courts are often presided by women whose only purpose is to make the father pay, those are not family courts but rather slaughter houses where they butcher men one at a time.

Are you serious? do you really think all of those dominican tigares are paying child support? Most women in the DR receive zilch from those dead beat dads.
But we are not talking about dominican fathers, so get the paternity test and if your the dad, MAN UP POPS.

Reactions: badpiece33

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Are you serious? do you really think all of those dominican tigares are paying child support? Most women in the DR receive zilch from those dead beat dads.
But we are not talking about dominican fathers, so get the paternity test and if your the dad, MAN UP POPS.

Got numbers to back that up?, or we have to rely on your opinion?

Got numbers to back that up?, or we have to rely on your opinion?

Just look at all the women working as hookers to pay for their babies when they got a baby daddy in their home town drinking beer and playing dominoes all day while those poor women are out workin on their back. You want numbers to back that up? Lets go for a walk down to clasicos in Sosua and sit in the back of the bar and conduct some interviews, they almost to a person will tell you their baby daddies dont help out and thats why they are there.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Just look at all the women working as hookers to pay for their babies when they got a baby daddy in their home town drinking beer and playing dominoes all day while those poor women are out workin on their back. You want numbers to back that up? Lets go for a walk down to clasicos in Sosua and sit in the back of the bar and conduct some interviews, they almost to a person will tell you their baby daddies dont help out and thats why they are there.

Very well said badpiece, you and I also know a lot of those non hookers working in some factory for 4 or 5 pesos a month and trying to feed their kids with out any help from the dadys at all.The only numbers we know is our experience from our time spent in the DR.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

that's right on some but sure not on most.
first,
many of your 'hookers'/poor women have those kiddies, which they need to support now, not from some husband, many sorrily come out of the streetwork.
and those poor women could also do other jobs than just the 'lay down on your back' one, they just choose to go the more comfo way to make some pesos in a short time period and bring those back home, while many others support/feed their kids due real work, sure worse paid than a hookers job, but they work and feed their children, too.

RSG,
not everyone pays childsupport, but many do, even often not willingly, but they get from the poor girlie the court order delivered and made pay, i see such delivered here every month.

badpiece
<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 767012" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1>Hes not looking to shirk his responsibilities, he is merely trying to make sure he doesnt get taken to the cleaners by some women. </TD></TR><!-- END TEMPLATE: newreply_reviewbit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: newreply_reviewbit --><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

maybe Men should just think first with whom they lay down instead of crying afterwards to get taken what they didn't plan to share.
same for women pregnant from her 'tiguere'.
both could have used protection, too.
Mike

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009

Excellent way to present an argument Badpiece, don't present any data, stats, information or even an article to hint what you are arguing is based on solid ground, just rely on hearsay, word of mouth, conventional wisdom and your opinion. Nice indeed.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Excellent way to present an argument Badpiece, don't present any data, stats, information or even an article to hint what you are arguing is based on solid ground, just rely on hearsay, word of mouth, conventional wisdom and your opinion. Nice indeed.

here i agree with you.
on the other hand Badpiece did not meant that to misslead,
he wrote about his own real observations at the places where he 'observe's' his surroundings, nothing bad on that.
his mistake is that he just believe's on the word of the Gals he met that way.
he could wider his horizon by spending a week or such with such Gal home at her place to see what all the circumstances around her home are all about.
Mike