exporting dogs to the US

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Hi there, we are moving to the DR, and will continue to breed our guard dogs over there, which we sell mostly in the US and Canada. Does anybody have any experience in how to export dogs from the DR to the US, and what the total cost would be (plusminus).

Another totally different question: what kinds of dogfood are available in the DR?

Thanks

MDWsur

Dec 26, 2008
Exporting dogs

Hey there,

Yes, I exported my Dominican dog here to the US last year. It was surprisingly easy. I used Continental Airlines nonstop to Newark airport, and the export rep for the airline in Sto Domingo was knowledgeable and got it right the first time (yes, I know this sounds impossible).

You will need a recent health certificate from a known Dominican Veterinarian and it is my suggestion to have it translated into English so there is no interpretation issue on the US end.

All in all, it took me three hours to clear my dog from US customs here once we had landed and the cost was about the same as my airline ticket ($500.00 USD) plus the health ticket and shots.

Please don't hesitate to IM me if you need the particulars.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Another totally different question: what kinds of dogfood are available in the DR?

Thanks

most all brands are available but you are going to pay much much more than you are currently. Is there a brand you are specifically looking for?

kays1961

Jan 15, 2009
I would not reccomend breeding dogs here.The conditions are less than optimal-substandard vet care.Lots of disease not to mention the heat.Bad idea all around and there are too many unwanted dogs here that nobody will take because Dominicans now want designer dogs.Not only that, what about the trauma you,ll be putting the dogs through on the plane.Please consider not doing this.
Thank you