Temporary residence card about to expire

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
To start, Happy Fathers Day to all the men here from the states.
Now, when a temporary residence card is about 10 weeks from the expiration date, at what point does the government require you to go in and apply for the permanent card. Also, originally I hired an attorney in Santo Domingo to do all the legwork. Is it exactly the same for the permanent card or can I do this myself without paying once again for professional help? Will it also take another 6 months, and what is the price for the permanent card? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. And, are more medical tests required? :glasses:

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Now, when a temporary residence card is about 10 weeks from the expiration date, at what point does the government require you to go in and apply for the permanent card. Also, originally I hired an attorney in Santo Domingo to do all the legwork. Is it exactly the same for the permanent card or can I do this myself without paying once again for professional help? Will it also take another 6 months, and what is the price for the permanent card? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. And, are more medical tests required? :glasses:

No tests. Just show up at Immigration, register, pay for the VIP service (it's worth it) and go on through. Assuming you speak Spanish you shouldn't have any trouble doing it yourself. If you need a recommendation for a lawyer to help, let me know via PM.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
You can get started now, the process for the permanent residency is the same as for the provisional. Yes, you have to do the medical again. I would look for professional help in order to save time.

Jan 17, 2009
You'd better start now. My husband hired a lawyer (again!!) for his permanent residency. This was back in November 08. He did have to go to Santo Domingo for medical tests. He's still waiting. Good luck with yours.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
No tests. Just show up at Immigration, register, pay for the VIP service (it's worth it) and go on through. Assuming you speak Spanish you shouldn't have any trouble doing it yourself. If you need a recommendation for a lawyer to help, let me know via PM.

Castellamonte,
that's completely wrong as long as they did not change the law/requisites aso during the last couple months.

to apply for permanent residency you follow exactly the same procedure than you did a year before for the temporary residency.
same med tests will be done agin aso.

you have to start the procedure before your temporary residency expires, so it doesn't matter how long the procedure takes, as long as in process you are here legally as a resident, unless you get during the process denied for whatever reason.

WayToGo,
you know the procedures from your temporary residency application,
so if you are confident that you could have done it on your own there's no problem to do the permanent one on your own, it is exactly the same procedure.
if you think you would have had trouble to do that on your own due language leak or what ever reason, then i would recommend to consult the same person again which did your temporary residency successfully.
good luck
Mike

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Thank you everyone for the advice. I had an attorney in the capital for the temporary card so I really have no idea what she had to go through. I just peed and paid. Will the permanent take another 6 months to process? And does anyone know why after months and months, my cedulla is not in the system? Gracias

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thank you everyone for the advice. I had an attorney in the capital for the temporary card so I really have no idea what she had to go through. I just peed and paid. Will the permanent take another 6 months to process? And does anyone know why after months and months, my cedulla is not in the system? Gracias

Well, first it is not good that your cedula is not in the system. I hate to think your lawyer did it the quick and easy way and didn't actually get you registered in the system. I would call and see what the reasons would be.

As far as doing the residency, if you have the time do it yourself and you can save a lot of money. The requirements are the same/similar as with the provisional:

http://www.migracion.gov.do/res_defia.html

The process can be greatly expedited by paying the VIP fee as mentioned.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
Some incorrect advice here.
You DO have to do all the medical stuff again including another chest x-ray.
And secondly, you can not start the process until your temporary expires.
It is the dumbest thing I think I have ever heard but I couldn't make an appointment until my temp expired. You would think that there would be a window so that for the in between months you would have a valid ID but not the case. I was told to keep my expired cedula and they took my residency card.
It takes about 6 months. I have been waiting about 5.
I am not traveling until I get my residency card so I can tell the tax thieves at the airport where the can put the 20 dollar entry fee.
The last time I came back I showed them my valid cedula and that was not good enough, they wanted to see my residency card, I was furious because the only real benefit I see by having a Dominican ID is to save a lousy 10 or 20 dollars at the airport !

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I guess my cedulla is in the governments system but nobody else's. I had to go back to the capital and pay 300 RD for a certified official letter made out to BP directly saying my cedulla was legit and stamp signed by DR. ROBERTO ROSARIO MARQUEZ,
Presidente C?mara Administrativa.
And another 100 RD for a general certified official letter for everybody else. Utilities, credit, etc. And you are right, the banks, the stores where I applied for credit, etc., nobody ever asked to see the residence card. When I would attempt to show it as I.D., everyone told me to put it away,that they were not interested. Also Senorblanco, I like your moxy. Old school for speaking your mind. T

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Castellamonte,
that's completely wrong as long as they did not change the law/requisites aso during the last couple months.

to apply for permanent residency you follow exactly the same procedure than you did a year before for the temporary residency...
Mike

Oops, you are right. I have a permanent and renewing it is as I described. Not going from Temporary to Permanent. My Bad.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Some incorrect advice here.
You DO have to do all the medical stuff again including another chest x-ray.
And secondly, you can not start the process until your temporary expires.
It is the dumbest thing I think I have ever heard but I couldn't make an appointment until my temp expired. You would think that there would be a window so that for the in between months you would have a valid ID but not the case. I was told to keep my expired cedula and they took my residency card.
It takes about 6 months. I have been waiting about 5.
I am not traveling until I get my residency card so I can tell the tax thieves at the airport where the can put the 20 dollar entry fee.
The last time I came back I showed them my valid cedula and that was not good enough, they wanted to see my residency card, I was furious because the only real benefit I see by having a Dominican ID is to save a lousy 10 or 20 dollars at the airport !

the guys at immigrations at the airport are absolutely right to not give a darn about your cedula, because the cedula is in no way any immigrations paper, only the Residency is, so if you show up there without the up to date renewed residency card they will cash you the fees everybody without a up to date residency card has to pay.

and renewals can be done prior to the expiration date, i did it twice myself, the reason of an upcoming travel which would leave you without a up to date renewed residency card upon arrival been til today always enough reason to do so for the offices.

Oops, you are right. I have a permanent and renewing it is as I described. Not going from Temporary to Permanent. My Bad.

that's right,
for the renewal of the permanent card we just have to pay the taxes and get the new card printed within 30 minutes of that procedure, no more x-rays or blood tests or such.
Mike