Buying a BBQ on the North Coast

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I'm going to be buying a BBQ on the North Coast (in August), I've seen 2 advertised on the La Sirena website.

One for for $7495RD and the other $14995RD (both including the tank).

First of all - if anyone knows of someone selling a good second hand one for a reasonable price, please let me know.

Second - can anyone give me any advice of what I should look for in getting a good BBQ?

Third- Any idea how much it would cost to fill up the tank, and where I would go to get that done?

Input/advice appreciated! :)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
the 7500 sounds like a great deal even for a small bbq as the tanks are about 1800-2500 pesos. They cost about 300 pesos to fill and you do it at any propane station PropaGas, etc...there's usually a sign that says "Hay Gas". There are 3 or 4 places in Sosua and Cabarete...

As far as what to look for, besides features, i.e. size, btu's, side burner, storage, etc., it doesnt much matter as the ones they sell here under 15,000 are all kinda crappy and won't last...but will work fine for a while. Try to keep it covered, dry, and as clean as possible...

Reactions: alicious

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Ok, excellent! Thanks for the info!

The thing I wasn't sure why the one BBQ advertised is double the price, because in the picture both BBQ's look almost the same....

La Sirena - Portada

3rd link on the right, that says Madres 2009 - on page 9.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Looks like the more expensive one has a side burner and is larger...probably more BTU's (higher temp). If its just for the occasional burgers, chicken, steaks, etc,for 2-4 people, Id go for the cheaper one, since they are probably both lower-end Charbroil grills. In the states they'd probably run about $100 and $150, vs. about $210 and $415...not worth the difference.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I'd follow David's advice. They are cheap Charbroil grills you get at the home depot for cheap!!! Only if you could bring a Weber grill. Now there is a grill for ya!

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
How likely is it that I'd be able to find anything better quality without breaking the bank though?
In the DR, on the North Coast, I can't see it being to likely, unless someone is moving and trying to get rid of their stuff as quickly as possible :p

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Without going to Santiago or SD, getting a $100 Charbroil for $200 is not so bad and probably your best bet! And it should do fine for you as long as you take care of it. Even if you travel elsewhere, the price of better grills are disproportionately higher than the increase in quality...unless you can find someone selling a good one, like you said, but that's a long shot...and think of all the grilling you'll be missing as you're waiting!!

The other option is getting a "knockoff" Weber smokey joe charcoal grill, La Sirena has them for (I think) about 1800 pesos. They're obiously not gas grills, but work great. Also...I wouldn't be too positive that the La Sirena in POP carries either of the gas grills in the ad..they might, but maybe not...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we had out bbq hand made. nothing fancy: a steel drum cut in half and set with the hinges, small chimney on the top, steel support and steel grill. all fully portable and very solid.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
For here Charbroil is not bad at all.

IF it IS a Charbroil brand grill, that's not too bad for around here. I got one from Plaza Lama and I believe it was in the 7K's 2 years ago. Still lives. Got some replacement parts to it online from the States too... you can't get that from inferior brands.
The next step up is usually offered at PriceMart... but these stainless grills quickly go into the 25 to 75K's.

Finally, if you have your own place with a backyard, yeah why not build one that works with gas and wood... maybe even a little oven project. There are so many ideas downloadable free on the internet.

... J-D.

May 8, 2009
I'm thinking the same as J D

Yea, if you have your own backyard, you can build one pretty cheaply. I built one for myself and had a taller make me a custom grill out of smooth rebar on one half and a hot surface on the other side. It works great. Another idea is to put to use one of the many pressure tanks that are in the country. After a number of years, these tend to rust and spring a leak and then are useless. People just throw them away. A number of friends of mine take these, then cut them in half (vertically sliced), then you put it on its side, and weld legs on it. Put hinges on the top side and it will serve as your lid. (weld a handle on tho!).. All this can be done real cheap-

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Find a flat piece of concrete somehwere if you have one (or the dirt will do), put down some bricks or rocks in a square, to desired height for grilling, get the cooling coil from the back of an old refrigerator for the grill (works great) and you're in bidness.
Even high-end stainless grills rust from the inside out, then you have a hard time finding replacement burners and whatnot. Think of it as camping out in the backyard. And it's not being cheap, it's being practical. If your frinds snicker at it, find new friends and keep the grill. :)

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
tflea - I like your philosophy ..."if your friends snicker at it, find new friends and keep the grill." lol :)

Ok, so all these ideas as to "making" our own BBQ...how well do they work/how easy are they to use compared to a purchased BBQ, where you just turn the knob and light it up?

Does anyone have contact information for someone who can help to make one of these in the Sosua/Cabarete area, and how much it would cost? (I myself am not all that handy at "making" things like this....)

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
we had out bbq hand made. nothing fancy: a steel drum cut in half and set with the hinges, small chimney on the top, steel support and steel grill. all fully portable and very solid.

Do you have any contact info on who you had hand make it for you and the cost?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Hi Alicious
There is a dr1 member called "sicknote" he is a builder and is coming to Sosua to live on July 11th. He built himself a brilliant bbq and it's the kind of thing he will be doing for a living from July onwards. He's a great guy (english) and I'm gonna have him do one for me so you might like to pm him!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Do you have any contact info on who you had hand make it for you and the cost?
the thing was a gift from a taller - a friend of miesposo.
the price as i understand will depend on a materials and finish but it is not gonna be cheap. 10k pesos? more or less?
see pictures of our grill below and if you like the product i can give you contact info of a taller.
2vbjw3t.jpg

bfny34.jpg

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
grill fundamentals

I like to think I know a bit about grilling, so I'll chime in :)

If you are going to be grilling, you need a very hot flame. Hot as in hotter than a 50Kbtu burner can give you. This is what will give you the nice dark outside on a steak with the pink insides.

I highly recommend something with a sizzler -- this is an optional part on the grill that simply heats up MUCH hotter than the rest of the grill. I use this to char the outsides of my steaks and then I move them to the lower heat section of the grill to get a uniform pink on the inside. This not only gives that flavourful exterior (especially with rubs etc), but also seals in the juices.

Keep in mind, I cook thick steaks. If you are cooking thinner steaks, a hot flame is even more essential, as with a lower flame by the time you get the outside of your steak charred, the inside is shoe leather. For me, a bit of charring is essential to a proper steak. Of course, you can always pan-sear your steaks on your stove to seal them, but it;s not the same.

Also, if you want to grill vegetables, a high flame also comes in handy. You can have the grill flavour, but still the snapping freshness of your peppers with a high enough heat.

Of course, a grill with a sizzler is not going to come cheap, but if you're serious about grilling, it;s a must on a gas grill. Take a pass on the side burners -- you will rarely use them, and real estate next to the grill is at a premium -- plates, salt, spices, and of course, your trusty beer(s).

For serious charcoal/wood grillers, remember you will generally need two heat zones -- one for searing/grilling and one for cooking. This means two piles of coals, one hot and one crazy hot. This rules out a small drum grill set. A larger drum (ie: oil drum) will work well for this.

If you are looking for a good grill, try looking at Patioworx in Sosua, owned by Dave Hall. I bought myself a grill there for my birthday and have been very pleased with it. Was it cheap? No it was not, but I get a hell of a lot of use out of it, and I'm not your average griller.

If you're just looking for something to cook with outside instead of inside, pretty much any grilll will do. But there's so much great information out there on grilling, so many good recipe's that it's a shame to limit yourself by cheaping out on your primary tool. Especially with the DR's 12 month grilling season!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Hee hee, stainless steel.. That's cooking in style! A little small though.

yes, stainless steel and very solid welding work too. small but we do not grill a lot. taller can make it bigger thou - depending on a size of a barrel.

Aug 21, 2007
Okay, Sosua Joe, if you are the master griller, be sure you have a copy of Adam Perry Lang's book, Serious Barbecue. He is the true master, and you will never again see barbecuing the same. The book is a bit costly. But the results are worth it.

I have a copy. PM me if you want to see for your own eyes.

Lindsey

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
SosuaJoe...you truly sound like a Master BBQ-er..

I gotta admit, I got hungry reading your post!
You sound like someone after my own heart!

Coming from Canada...we BBQ almost every day in the summer...and often in the fall...
I have a great picture of my father out BBQ-ing in December while it is snowing in -20C with a glass of red wine...tending his steaks...lol! That's what I grew up with :)

I often also BBQ my veggies with some good seasoning. ( portobello mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, eggplant...etc)

I will look into Patioworx for sure. Where abouts in Sosua is it located? Any contact info? (I have been often in Sosua lately, but will be permanently relocated as of August this year.)

Thanks for the info, and I enjoyed reading your post! :)

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
LOL. I'm hardly a grillmaster. More like the grill has mastered me. But I do love to grill, and I did have a restaurant specializing in grilling not just steaks but, lamb, lobster, fish, venison, shrimp, conch -- hell, I'd grill pancakes if I could get the batter firm enough...

Patioworx is located on the left of the highway just as you are leaving Sosua to go to Cabarete. I'm sorry I don;t have contact details close to hand, but it's got a fairly large sign in front of it. Dave Hall is the owner, who some oldtimers may remember as the former owner of the Waterfront and some even oldertimers may remember as the former owner of Casablanca (!)

Aside from the bbq's, he has an excellent selection of patio furniture, albeit on the pricey side. Not pricey in terms of overpriced, pricey in terms of he sells quality stuff, not crap, so the price is going to reflect that. I find his prices more than reasonable for what he carries.

PS: A secret of mine with regards to grilling steaks: brush a bit of (real) maple syrup on the steaks as you grill them. The heat caramelizes the sugars somewhat and pops the flavour, especially if you combine the sweet of the syrup brush with a spicy marinade.