Its always good news......where's the bad?

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
I just wanted to get the general feeling about something, ok today's DR1 news..

4. Tourism up a tiny bit in May
Tourist arrivals to the Dominican Republic were 2.41% higher in May 2009 compared to the same month in 2008. This good news comes after ten consecutive months of lower numbers, according to data published by the Central Bank on their website. In May this year, 6,972 more tourists arrived here than in the same month in 2008. The volume of tourists was attributed to two main factors. The first was a slight increase in the arrival of non-resident Dominicans - 4,434 more visits this year than last, for a 1.03% increase. The second factor was the re-routing of many tourists from Mexico to the Dominican Republic as a result of the influenza scare. Many of the companies that send tourists to Mexico have operations in the DR. The non-resident foreigner segment accounted for 1.38% of the increase.

Now on seeing this, made me think about the last 10 months of everyone telling us that there's no problem in tourism, in fact many saying its rising and no problems.

DR1 Travel news last week......

No crisis in tourism sector, says Minister
Speaking at an American Chamber of Commerce luncheon last week, Tourism Minister Francisco Javier Garcia stated that he did not believe that the present financial crisis would halt tourism investments in the DR. He expected that a large percentage of the US$16 billion in new investment projects the Ministry has approved would materialize.

March 10th

Tourism overview
The Ministry of Tourism reported that last year occupation averaged 70.6%, compared to 72.20% in 2007. Highest occupancy rates were in Punta Cana-Bavaro with 77.7%.

May 5th

12. Mexico bound tourists arrive
Thousands of tourists who had planned to vacation in Mexico have been arriving in the Dominican Republic, mainly in the Punta Cana area. In somewhat smaller quantities, tourists have also arrived in Puerto Plata. Tour operators serving both Mexico and the Dominican Republic have been re-routing hundreds of tourists, making the most of the similarities between the Maya Riviera and the Bavaro-Punta Cana region. The increase has meant that May will be a record-breaking month. There has been an estimated 40% increase in the number of tourists arriving in the eastern Dominican Republic.

Luckily I don't work in this particular sector, but still, its amazing what is let out in the press releases and what is held back. Are we to assume that they "just noticed" that occupancy has been down every month for the last 10 months? They only tell us when they have their first growth month. And in the months inbetween we are told how strong the sector is!!!

Another one I remember in February 2009, it was announced that property sales were down 50% 2007 to 2008. Now bearing in mind that started in 2008, that was roughly between 7 and 13 months in the making before the press release announced.....

I'm sure most residents here are aware the media is not as free as elsewhere in the world, however is it not better for business in general for us all to have a clear picture of what the situation is at any given time, and be able to brace business for it? Prepare and plan correctly?

Opinions people.....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I personally do not believe we are seeing more "real" tourists.
The numbers have alays been skewed. e.g. Dominicans with US passports are classed as tourists.

The bigger question should be about the average US$ yield per tourist?
This has been falling for years and now at an all time low.

This is the reason many hotels cannot invest in their product or closing, especially on the north coast. It's a catch 22, you need a better product to attact better paying tourists.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
The numbers have alays been skewed. e.g. Dominicans with US passports are classed as tourists.

This is the reason many hotels cannot invest in their product or closing, especially on the north coast. It's a catch 22, you need a better product to attact better paying tourists.

my family works at resort in El Portillo,and all but 2 have been laid off for lack of tourists...
and Las Terrenas is the same,dead as doornail..
and many projects on hold.
oscar

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008

Bingo!
I think this will sink in eventually.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007

better product is not needed. For better product people travel to Paris, Italy, Monaco, Nice. DR won`t ever be even close.

what is needed to make this country attractive again - cheap affordable for all prices. Like in the good old times of German control in the North.

Everyone was happy , relaxed, positive and busy back there.

Ten bucks - a decent hotel. Five pesos - motoconcho. Five bucks a decent meal. $25G - to build a house like Jimmy did. And $200 R/T.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Just like the dry months in the Serengeti, where the weak is removed from the strongest in the herd; eaten away to the bones by the top in the food chain, so too is the same for the DR market.

Here you had so many small, flimsy backed operators opening shop that it looked like an Indian Bazaar more than anything else. Only the operators with a real working budget and real planning that covered operating costs, are surviving the purge.

There were so many mini restaurants popping up, that it looked like a game of sorts.
It only took a few bucks for some starry eyed expat newcomer, to open shop along the tourism enclaves. Nobody seemed to notice that these were biz backed by nothing more than dreams and air.

The same goes for the many hotels that kept opening and entering the service sector, without even having any planning or real long-term support. Biz with real plans and long term support are hurting but not folding tent like the myriad of those others.

I told you here before that you mixed two particular economies together, the internal and externally oriented... Take a stroll into any food biz like the new huge supermarket in PP and tell me where you see hurt? Do the same in Santiago, SD, etc...

Now go take a stroll at the tourism enclaves of the country and tell me what you see?

I see the weak being extricated from a biz model for well planned and backed operators. The same happens all around the industry affected by the downturn in that sector.

The new requirements for companies in regards to base capital are just the same. The need to thin the herd and have a strong base from which to operate from, will provide our local industry with the upper hand long term.

I told you here before that the DR's tourism industry is moving away from the lower to mid level into the mid to high scale markets. Soon you'll see larger operators being able to construct new and eco friendly infrastructure, in lieu of those today fumbling just to keep open the doors.

Just the same is being played out in the FTZ and externally oriented industry of the DR. Come the slow recovery of the world economy, those same strong biz will be able to expand and cement their position within their markets.

Some people here called the DR's strong performance in face of the economic meltdown a huge bluff, yet for all their own talk, the cards were face up on the table for all to see. While many here acted blind to the reality of the DR, the world around took notice of how this tiny country was able to post GDP growth; under the worst possible economic conditions since WWII...

By the end of this year and the first quarter of 2010, the DR's gov will eliminate all subsidies now taking precious resources away from the needs of the country.

The now ailing tourism industry is being thinned so to speak, and will be a force to be reckoned with by our regional competitors within the industry.

The tourism industry in the DR is only going to get bigger and more upscale than it was ever before.

Have faith grasshoppers, that this country is thinking big and better than it did on the last five decades...

Trust me and become citizens as soon as you're legally able to do so here...
Soon it will be very, very expensive to even try...
Dominican citizenship will be like passing a kidney stone of pure gold, come the requirements to achieve it.

By this time come 2010, a plot of nice land will be about 40 to 50% more expensive than today's rate. The new rules will make it impossible for small operators to conduct biz in the tourism industry. The aim is to create an industry watchdog that will regulate the construction and operations of the hotel industry in the coastal areas.

Take a real closer look at the changes being introduced into the new constitutional reform. Also the multiple new codes and regulations to come into effect as well...

I told you here that many of the changes may seem stupid, taking the capital of companies for example. But in reality they have the reverse intent in the industry, as the internal strength of those companies will be above par the majority in the region as well as other parts of the world. You don't level the field to obtain a decisive victory, but tilt it in your favor instead.

The DR is aiming to become a major air hub in the region, given the onerous restrictions imposed in major hubs like the US, Canada and Mexico (in accordance with their US counterparts). The initiation of aircraft service, maintenance and major repairs in the country will be the first phase towards that goal.
Having a constant flow of flights in direction to third countries (HUB), will assure an equal availability of seats for last minute visitors to the country.

A new wing expansion is projected for AILAS to that end. Since transferring passengers will not need to pass immigration checkpoints in the terminal.

The downturn in the world economy sped the process of thinning the weak operators from the market naturally. Now the DR will shift even faster to the higher scale tourism level it was aiming for a while.

Feb 7, 2007
PICHARDO, I really don't understand , but really don't, why you are so PRO-BIG-BUSINESS. It's the small and medium businesses that NOW keep the world's economy running around. It's SMB that employ the largest number of people (up to 95%) and create huge portion of GDP (50%) and have a huge participation in exports (up to 40%) in any developed country.

So you want DR to be elitist (buzinesswise) where only big businesses will thrive. The mom'n'pop biz can better go to XXXX themselves, right? The big businesses that created today's economic crisis, with their super-nuper-financing schemes that you are so supporting with your statements about big businesses being able to do this and that and the weak will be crushed like a cockroaches.

But the world's reality is different and this country's one as well. It's not the Estrellas and Lamas and Piantinis and Bonettis who keep generating the "real" money (meaning money that will hit the streets and the rest of population).

And about your high-class-tourism ... the DR better take any $ that comes its way, regardless whether it comes from a poor or rich tourist. Cuba is just a short hop away and MOST people are playing blind. Soon it will open up to USA tourism as well and the DR will feel a hit. Big hit. And that's not just my opinion, but that of many people involve din tourism sector here, Dominicans and foreigners.

So go and repulse the dollars and euros coming this way. You;re forgetting that Europeans have many options where to holiday (North of Africa, Israel, Turkey, India, Bali, Maldives, etc.) all with AI's that are comparable price-wise with the DR. Canadians can go to Cuba, soon the USAers will be able to go as well, so that will include the pool to Mexico, DR, Cuba for AI's. DR better take any and all hard currency it flows its way.

I would rather have million tourists each spending 1000 dollars resulting in employment for 10,000 people, rather than have ten thousand tourists spending 10,000 dollars resulting in employment for 500 people. Keep on rambling, just keep on .... till 2012 anyway

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
PICHARDO, you need to be on the ground talking to the people that live and breath tourism here everyday. Maybe then you'll "spin" a different story.

The DR has no road map for tourism, no long term planning. If it does, please enlighten me.

The DR does not have a unified brand that's supported by the private sector, unlike some of it's competitors, e.g. Colombia.

Marketing the country is a very individualist effort, basically a product of all of the above.

Turismo should be helping those that do a good job in bringing "real" tourists here that spend "real" money in the local economy, instead of the usual "look at me, what's in it for me" political BS. Or worse still, subsidizing tour operators that bring low end, have no money tourists here. This model is not sustainable and has been slowly killing tourism here.

Turismo should be working with the private sector in cultivating and promoting sustainable tourism projects, helping small businesses. Those projects and businesses that bring money into the community and not into the pockets of the few.

I could go on and on...

I'm just happy knowing that DR1 via it's various projects over the past 10 years has probably done more to promote tourism in the DR than Turismo has ever done, and at a fraction of the cost.

The good news is, DR1 continues to grow and innovate.

dr1 guide.com to Santo Domingo and DR1Travel are just a few weeks away from being unleashed on the world ;)

Reactions: AlterEgo

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Robert; Turismo should be helping those that do a good job in bringing "real" tourists here that spend "real" money ... Or worse still said:
With a due and sencere respect to one of very few persons in this Forum, whose integrity, honesty and objectiveness I always appreciate and admire I strongly disagree with the above clause...

The majority of World population (90% if not more) are not those "REAL" tourists with "REAL" money, but at most basic hard working people saving penny to penny for their occasional vacation on the beach.

Hence, orientation not at this majority but at those "chosen few" leads to failure as it involves competition with the best established destinations of the First World - developed, organized, environmentally safe and comprehensevely modern.

Clear that every business owner dreams of dealing with millioneres only. To accomodate just one person for three nights and to get same amount of money that to be hard worked for with ten-fifteen poorer guests the whole week.

It is understandable.

May be even possible. But highly improbable.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Perhaps by "real" tourists he means non AI. People don't have to spend much more to be off the AI (a few hundred or 1000 more in a week), but have a greater impact on the local economy - it's not that far fetched. People visit all kinds of places and don't stay at AIs, and aren't terribly rich.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Perhaps by "real" tourists he means non AI. People don't have to spend much more to be off the AI (a few hundred or 1000 more in a week), but have a greater impact on the local economy - it's not that far fetched. People visit all kinds of places and don't stay at AIs, and aren't terribly rich.

Exactly!

AK74, who mentioned millionaires? When I say "real", I'm talking about tourists or independent travellers that spend money in the local economy. Not somene that comes here with NO money and sits for two weeks on at AI beach or bar. This type of "non-sustainable" tourism is killing the DR, sad but true!

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Exactly!

AK74, who mentioned millionaires? When I say "real", I'm talking about tourists or independent travellers that spend money in the local economy. Not somene that comes here with NO money and sits for two weeks on at AI beach or bar. This type of "non-sustainable" tourism is killing the DR, sad but true!

I misinterpreted your original message..

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

Although not to the tourism sector, but they are still bringing huge loads of hard currency (dollars, euro) to the DR which could be counted as a total of the money brought in by foreigners (even Dominicans who lives and works abroad). The difference with them is that they don't spend all their money in hotels or AI and gift shops. They spend it in the city or barrio that they are staying which is usually in a relative's house. It's the same concept, just the final destination of the money is different within DR.

Last edited:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
PICHARDO, I really don't understand , but really don't, why you are so PRO-BIG-BUSINESS. It's the small and medium businesses that NOW keep the world's economy running around. It's SMB that employ the largest number of people (up to 95%) and create huge portion of GDP (50%) and have a huge participation in exports (up to 40%) in any developed country.

So you want DR to be elitist (buzinesswise) where only big businesses will thrive. The mom'n'pop biz can better go to XXXX themselves, right? The big businesses that created today's economic crisis, with their super-nuper-financing schemes that you are so supporting with your statements about big businesses being able to do this and that and the weak will be crushed like a cockroaches.

But the world's reality is different and this country's one as well. It's not the Estrellas and Lamas and Piantinis and Bonettis who keep generating the "real" money (meaning money that will hit the streets and the rest of population).

And about your high-class-tourism ... the DR better take any $ that comes its way, regardless whether it comes from a poor or rich tourist. Cuba is just a short hop away and MOST people are playing blind. Soon it will open up to USA tourism as well and the DR will feel a hit. Big hit. And that's not just my opinion, but that of many people involve din tourism sector here, Dominicans and foreigners.

So go and repulse the dollars and euros coming this way. You;re forgetting that Europeans have many options where to holiday (North of Africa, Israel, Turkey, India, Bali, Maldives, etc.) all with AI's that are comparable price-wise with the DR. Canadians can go to Cuba, soon the USAers will be able to go as well, so that will include the pool to Mexico, DR, Cuba for AI's. DR better take any and all hard currency it flows its way.

I would rather have million tourists each spending 1000 dollars resulting in employment for 10,000 people, rather than have ten thousand tourists spending 10,000 dollars resulting in employment for 500 people. Keep on rambling, just keep on .... till 2012 anyway

Entrepreneurship is big here
According to the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor, under the London School of Business and the Babson College report that entrepreneurship in the DR is at 20.4% in 2008, one of the highest in the GEM's 43-country ranking. In 2007, the level was 16.8%.
As reported in Listin Diario, a fifth of Dominicans has started a business in the past three years.
The level of entrepreneurship in the DR almost doubles that in the US.
Guillermo Van Der Linde, dean of the School of Social and Business Sciences at the PUCMM university says, "One has to remember that there is entrepreneurship to make the most of opportunities, and entrepreneurship as a last resort."
Van Der Linde says that 90% of the businesses that fail is because of a lack of correct costing. He said that for example, most entrepreneurs know how to make the best meal or beverages, but they do not know how much they need to charge to reach their break-even point.
Van Der Linde says that in the DR, only 2.8% of entrepreneurs have university level education, while 71.5% had some years of high school education.
See Welcome to GEM

Here my point supported 100% on these regards.
I don't attack or diminish the importance of small and medium biz in the DR's economy; but in fact attack those countless small pop-up operators that using baseless sound biz practices and long term planning disrupt the baseline for other biz as well.

What good is it to have 50 hotels and 300 small-medium-large restaurants serving the tourism industry, when in fact more than half don't even break even and affect the flow of economics for the others that do.

What good is to offer rooms for half the price than other operators, since the charged fees will NOT cover operating costs long term; later becoming failure themselves? While these operators create their pull down on the other biz that DO operate with sound backing and long term biz plans, those also create a negative action into their operating bottom line.

Re-read my post as it seems you missed the actual message therein intended.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
PICHARDO, you need to be on the ground talking to the people that live and breath tourism here everyday. Maybe then you'll "spin" a different story.

The DR has no road map for tourism, no long term planning. If it does, please enlighten me.

The DR does not have a unified brand that's supported by the private sector, unlike some of it's competitors, e.g. Colombia.

Marketing the country is a very individualist effort, basically a product of all of the above.

Turismo should be helping those that do a good job in bringing "real" tourists here that spend "real" money in the local economy, instead of the usual "look at me, what's in it for me" political BS. Or worse still, subsidizing tour operators that bring low end, have no money tourists here. This model is not sustainable and has been slowly killing tourism here.

Turismo should be working with the private sector in cultivating and promoting sustainable tourism projects, helping small businesses. Those projects and businesses that bring money into the community and not into the pockets of the few.

I could go on and on...

I'm just happy knowing that DR1 via it's various projects over the past 10 years has probably done more to promote tourism in the DR than Turismo has ever done, and at a fraction of the cost.

The good news is, DR1 continues to grow and innovate.

dr1 guide.com to Santo Domingo and DR1Travel are just a few weeks away from being unleashed on the world ;)

Robert the DR's government already hired one of the most active and successful media support companies to campaign the DR's resources overseas. The same is being done across every possible country with potential biz for the DR.

We already have campaigns running in the USA, where you could spot large billboards advertising our golf and pristine beaches. We have multiple TV ads running on national networks both in North America and European countries. We even have deals with cable TV operators in those major markets.

As far as branding, it was done about 8 months ago and just recently an accord was signed with the tourism and industry leaders/groups of the DR to that end.

Wrong again on long term map for tourism! The DR has plans that would blow your minds away! The thing is that we can't just come out on the news until 75% of the funds needed from investors are secured, in order to avoid having our projects copied before ours are even open for biz.

I can tell you, we have terrific long term plans for the DR in that particular industry!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert the DR's government already hired one of the most active and successful media support companies to campaign the DR's resources overseas. The same is being done across every possible country with potential biz for the DR.

We already have campaigns running in the USA, where you could spot large billboards advertising our golf and pristine beaches. We have multiple TV ads running on national networks both in North America and European countries. We even have deals with cable TV operators in those major markets.

I'm well aware of BVK and their media plan, it's a shame nobody else is. Wasn't BVK hand picked by the President? I wonder why?

As far as branding, it was done about 8 months ago and just recently an accord was signed with the tourism and industry leaders/groups of the DR to that end.

Was this the country branding perfomed by "acanchi" (Acanchi) back in 2006? Would you like a copy of their presentation? Don't worry, it's not a secret :) They actually did a great job, but it was never supported by Turismo. Do you know why?

Wrong again on long term map for tourism! The DR has plans that would blow your minds away! The thing is that we can't just come out on the news until 75% of the funds needed from investors are secured, in order to avoid having our projects copied before ours are even open for biz.

I can tell you, we have terrific long term plans for the DR in that particular industry!

Are these secret plans, because people I know at the ministry have never seen them, that also goes for some of the bigger players here.
I'm happy to sign a non-disclosure and give my full support, but I have a feeling it's just more smoke and mirrors.

Next....

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Those BIG plans of course are subject to change as soon as the present regime is out.
Who can forget the fiascos of Felucho so quickly ? He had plenty of plans as well.
Agree with Robert the lack of uniform branding and self interests have always torn apart united efforts. Sure are a ton of 'associations' and the like, with none knowing what the others are doing, from north, to south to east coasts. Even the north coast has no less than 6 or 7 'associations' all with their own agendas. At the end of the day, cronyism and selfishness among other similar things, bring down the whole tourism sector, but the power brokers don't care, they got their piece and move quickly to shore up the next big deal. I've seen that, lived that and don't see it changing anytime soon. I do however maintain a guarded optimism. I keep thinking these guys will surely one day wake the f**k up. I sure hope so, for everyone's sake.
If a poster here is on the SECTUR staff, I wish him well; really.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I'm well aware of BVK and their media plan, it's a shame nobody else is. Wasn't BVK hand picked by the President? I wonder why?

BVK was only one of the six (6) currently contracted. It wasn't hand-picked but unanimously supported by the panel tasked with the selection to that end.

Another 7 contracts are currently being considered as well from other palces.

Was this the country branding perfomed by "acanchi" (Acanchi) back in 2006? Would you like a copy of their presentation? Don't worry, it's not a secret :) They actually did a great job, but it was never supported by Turismo. Do you know why?

Nope! I know the reasons under the decision but not the person that killed the contract exactly. Turismo carries "0" weight in those decisions at the end of the day...

Are these secret plans, because people I know at the ministry have never seen them, that also goes for some of the bigger players here.
I'm happy to sign a non-disclosure and give my full support, but I have a feeling it's just more smoke and mirrors.

Next....

Not secret at all, but a huge problem once it's known the location of the intended plan to take place. I'll go ahead and provide you with one example:
Recall the Agora Mall project for across the street from the ongoing Ikea?
Well... The company that did the project faced a huge problem in the form of a counter offer, from a rival company that took notice of the specs and renders offered in the web. The company had to pull the renders and video using copyrights from the servers, since their project was not secured yet with investors 100%.

How big? Let's say that we're to become the new Walt Disney Park kind of attraction for the Latin American market. That big...

Billions of dollars are riding on these projects Robert...
Your site "DR1" is kept more up to date than others in the DR! I try to make sure that people like you get some friendly support from time to time!

Didn't I warn expats with criminal problems and dealings here on DR1 to leave on their own accord? I told them how the DR was already in process of implementing a stronger law enforcement action network, even with multiple agencies around the world to that end.

Didn't I tell them about how all the data in the JCE was going to be shared with them? Fingerprints and all?

I try to keep DR1 one step ahead on information about changes to take place or taking place in the DR. Most if not all of them, out of the press until roll out...

Have a little faith in me here Robert!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Can you name the people that sat on the panel that unanimously picked BVK or any of the other PR agencies? How many are actively involved in tourism? How many are not political appointees? Feel free to PM me the names.

PICHARDO, I appreciate your input, however skeptical I remain about some of the "coming" changes. The law of averages and luck tells me your going to come up smelling of roses now and again :)

The problem is, the private sector and those of us that truly care about the tourism industry have heard it many times before. Same message, different color sticker on the shiny new Land Cruiser. Blah, blah, Blah.

The priorities towards tourism here are so skewed it's embarrassing.
Turismo should be kissing DR1's ass for the amount of work we do in promoting the DR, informing tourists etc. Problem is, we offer no angle for a photo op, graft or the "look at what I have done".

Instead of blowing US$500,000 on a new "Turismo" PR stunt website, invest in those that are already doing a great job online. I can name 3-4 websites that could collectively make a massive difference to online generated tourism and offer a much better ROI than Turismo ever could. But, we both know that will never happen. Why? Because it offers no political gain, no opportunity for graft and no photo op.

I would love for you to prove me wrong. I would love to see a "real" road map for tourism here. I would love to see Turismo investing in those that invest countless hours in promoting the DR. Nothing would make me happier.

I'm waiting ;)