5hr Blackouts are Back! Welcome to Santo Domingo!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
They increased the prices 22% and now give us blackouts, what a bunch of $%@&#!!

Our office is in a 24x7 electricity sector of Santo Domingo, but we have had 5hr blackouts every day this week and it looks like it will continue.

I wish someone would do a study on the real cost of blackouts, especially when it comes to loss of productivity.

It's about time they brought in some Mexicans, Angolans, Europeans or Americans to run the electricity sector in this part of the country, becuase it's plainly obvious the locals are incapable.

Yep, I'm venting!!!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Yep Robert, we also are in the 24H program and right now I have my PC powered on by the Inverter. No AC, and with this heat one could lose la paciencia really fast.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yep Robert, we also are in the 24H program and right now I have my PC powered on by the Inverter. No AC, and with this heat one could lose la paciencia really fast.

That's when you take a deep breath, remember you're in The DR and that you have to take the good with the bad, get a Presidente bien fria and get a Domino game going...

BF1

Dec 7, 2007
www.aplatanados.com
Same situation in Evaristo Morales, blackouts every day for several hours.
The european (Union Fenosa) and the americans (AES, TCW) already had their chance and it didn't work. I believe the problem is political and not technical, and the politicians will always be dominicans....

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
It's about time they brought in some Mexicans, Angolans, Europeans or Americans to run the electricity sector in this part of the country, becuase it's plainly obvious the locals are incapable.

Heh! This brought a smile to my face. Believe it or not, I moved here from Angola and thought, "What's the big deal with all the complaining about the blackouts for a few hours?!" In Angola we had them for a few DAYS!

Of course, over a year later I'm spoiled again. I try to remember what it was like sitting around in the dark for 5 days but either way, it's still hot and humid in SDQ and can't turn on the A/C, so it's not much comfort.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
its just amazing that they can spend a billion dollars on a subway, but not fix the electricity problem. In my opinion, the Dominican populace has basically accepted the fact that there will always be black outs and therefore it is not priority to fix the problem. The cost of these black outs are more than you can imagine, if you count the cost of inverters, generators, repairs, extra fuel, environmental and noise pollution, and yes, the biggest one, lost productivity due to machines not working or people not getting good sleep and/or not being able to work because its too hot or not enough light. This cost for sure is in the billions of dollars per year.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I know that everyone likes to say that Gazcue is not so chic any more but I have not had one single black out this week. Last week we did have a couple but only for a few minutes......never more than an hour

i don't even have an inversor

now i know that this is not even EVERYWhere in Gazcue.... but I am right near the PLD HQ which may account for it.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The blackouts are administered by EDENORTE in conjunction with the government because they are currently investigating what percentage of DR businesses and homes actually NEED electricity.

Once their investigations have concluded, this will lead to a streamlining of the electrical grid so that hopefully the electricity will need to be on for only 2 hours daily.

So the increases in the rates and the blackouts are actually a good thing that will move the country forward.

It will eliminate, through a Darwinian economic/social model, the people and businesses that cannot thrive under such circumstances and will leave the door open for expansion on a scale that will make Dubai look like a shantytown.

Here is a model that is being worked on as we speak for one-family developments in the barrios of Santo Domingo. The Metro was just the beginning of the expansion planned for the whole area of Villa Mella.

So when you get on that Metro, instead of shacks and poverty you will see this, which will be the minimum standard of living for the Dominican middle class that will follow every stop of every Metro planned for the DR.
34in1gx.jpg

And the best part is every resident will be equipped with a George Jetson jetpack so that Dominicans can get to and from work/school efficiently and will lead to the elimination of the most primitive form of transportation, the motoconcho.

Santo Domingo is on the move. The fact that people are complaining about the blackouts just means that they are not suited for the changes that will surely be implemented by the very least the end of 2010.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
They increased the prices 22% and now give us blackouts, what a bunch of $%@&#!!

Our office is in a 24x7 electricity sector of Santo Domingo, but we have had 5hr blackouts every day this week and it looks like it will continue.

I wish someone would do a study on the real cost of blackouts, especially when it comes to loss of productivity.

Yep, I'm venting!!!

Yesterday was a pig in the PM (La Fe, on JFK), every five to 10 minutes, CLUNK, interveter kicking in, lights out, then the guys have to go turn the planta on.....

then the power comes back and they turn the planta off......

then the same again..............

And at home in Arroyo Hondo, it had been off most of the day apparently.

And yes, my bill went up from normal RD$3300 ish to 4500 this month, and slightly less consumption. And to top it off, we read about some other scandal in the news today about corruption in the electricity sector.....

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
Your concise analysis....

has me believing that PICHARDO has hijacked your account lol.

My apologies to PICHARDO in advance.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

The blackouts are administered by EDENORTE in conjunction with the government because they are currently investigating what percentage of DR businesses and homes actually NEED electricity.

Once their investigations have concluded, this will lead to a streamlining of the electrical grid so that hopefully the electricity will need to be on for only 2 hours daily.

So the increases in the rates and the blackouts are actually a good thing that will move the country forward.

It will eliminate, through a Darwinian economic/social model, the people and businesses that cannot thrive under such circumstances and will leave the door open for expansion on a scale that will make Dubai look like a shantytown.

Here is a model that is being worked on as we speak for one-family developments in the barrios of Santo Domingo. The Metro was just the beginning of the expansion planned for the whole area of Villa Mella.

So when you get on that Metro, instead of shacks and poverty you will see this, which will be the minimum standard of living for the Dominican middle class that will follow every stop of every Metro planned for the DR.
34in1gx.jpg

And the best part is every resident will be equipped with a George Jetson jetpack so that Dominicans can get to and from work/school efficiently and will lead to the elimination of the most primitive form of transportation, the motoconcho.

Santo Domingo is on the move. The fact that people are complaining about the blackouts just means that they are not suited for the changes that will surely be implemented by the very least the end of 2010.

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
Yes, take the good with the bad, thats the mindset that is used to keep everyone in the dark.:squareeye

Its still amazes me that some of the more politically connected large business owners do not have any influence in this area, other than the obvious ones who benefit.
It is extremely obvious that this country has the means to correct this deficiency if it really wanted.How the prez is still able to find, out of country funding for so many projects and upgrades, while ignoring this basic essential, is beyond comprehension.
Its embarrassing!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gee, i have blackouts every day. i do not even notice them. buy an inversor and relax a bit. nothing short of trujillo would change the electricity situation here...

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
gee, i have blackouts every day. i do not even notice them. buy an inversor and relax a bit. nothing short of trujillo would change the electricity situation here...

Have an inversol, pretty much mandatory here, but still a little hard to relax with no A/C. Your probably right on the trujillo thing, sadly.
Corruption at its best!!
I know i am venting but with this heat and no a/c its the only way to remain cool:squareeye

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't really like AC and in any case this is something i would only use at night. so i am good with inversor - it powers the fridge too so fria is always at hand.

i have been told that in trujillo times electricity was working all right so dominicans are capable of doing a good job in that department. as to the government of the iron fist - i do not think it is possible again but then again, who knows? south and latin america were always prone to dictatorship...

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006

34in1gx.jpg

Awesome! Who would have thunk it? When will the George Jetson jetpacks be available? Will they be able to operate on subsidized propane? Is the contract up for bidding? It just so happens that I have a patented design for a GJ jetpack.