SMS/Text Messaging from UK to DR

chris84

Jun 24, 2009
Hi Guys,
I have a bit of a problem! Basically, my partner is out in the DR for the next few weeks and is carrying a mobile phone with a UK Vodafone sim card. I am at home with a UK mobile on the o2 network. I'm not having an awful lot of luck with text messages, sending or receiving - does anybody have any information which might be helpful?

Many thanks in advance!

Chris

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Hi Guys,
I have a bit of a problem! Basically, my partner is out in the DR for the next few weeks and is carrying a mobile phone with a UK Vodafone sim card. I am at home with a UK mobile on the o2 network. I'm not having an awful lot of luck with text messages, sending or receiving - does anybody have any information which might be helpful?

Many thanks in advance!

Chris

Tell him to buy a 300 peso (6 quid) crappy phone from Claro, and then use the claro website to send messages to him for free. His to you wont be ridiculous either, not compared with roaming charges.

And for calling, if you like, worth looking at rebtel. (Cheap international calls - Rebtel). You can call his Dominican mobile any time from your mobile, for your local call + about 6p I think. My family all have a UK number to call for me here and its never failed. ( Apart from when people cannot deduct 5 hours from the local time....................)

As regards the problem, UK to DR texts are intermittent depending on which network you're roaming on here. Especially (from experience) if the person sending is on 02.

Steve