Rental Suggestions

imlosttoo

Apr 27, 2009
So I'm searching for rental properties for a vacation and have found several that look reasonable < $1,000/mo. But having never been down there, I wonder if someone could provide some insight. I want to use this first trip to look around and perhaps locate a place where I may wish to visit repeatedly. I need a launching point from which to visit the island if you will. I see some places are referred to as seedy others as tourist traps etc. Is there a place someone could start (with minimal spanish skills) and not have to be concerned with theft etc? Any information is appreciated. I'm a single guy but not particularly interested in all night party type locations. Thanks

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Stay away from Sosua. It is probably not what you are interested in as it is for guys looking for prostitutes.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I would probably lean towards Cabrera or Cabarete. They are very different so it depends upon what you are looking to do. Cabarete is a high energy, beach bar and restaurant scene where you can have a great deal of fun. But sometimes the pulse-pounding beat of merengue gets under your skin and you need to move on.

Cabrera is a relatively quiet, rural community about 1 hour from Cabarete. It has the requisite bars (this is the Dominican Republic after all) and some restaurants but is generally more of a residential spot versus the other touristy spots.

I like them both but I live in one and party in the other. ;-)

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Stay away from Sosua. It is probably not what you are interested in as it is for guys looking for prostitutes.

My wife is going to be Really ****ed off and surprised to know this! Especially after we have bought our house there and have spend so much time there with out kids.
There certainly is that sort of stuff going on but there is a lot more to the area than you make it out to be.
We love Sosua and the people we have met and made friends with.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com

A rather sweeping generalization Charlielyn which like all generalizations is not true all of the time.

Sosua has varied attractions just like it's visitors have varied reasons for visiting, including but not limited to mongers and their conquests.

Like any destination under consideration just do you homework and you'll be fine wherever you decide to visit.

Gregg

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Harbor View is not exactly the North Coast monastery for the Benedictine Monks, no disrespect meant to Billy who happens to be a fine host, and cook!

loublakk

Jun 26, 2009
looking for a place

i'm looking to rent an apartment, maybe even a house to have when i visit and when i finally move out there. can anyone point my in the right (online)direction? thanks

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This a large island, if you had a starting point, that would help.
Maybe start in the north, then down to Samana, then across to Santo Domingo, the east to Punta Cana, back to Santo Domingo and head north again via Santiago etc. How long are you here for?

Take a look at: Dominican Republic Rentals to start with.