DR Passport Renewal in Canada

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I just phoned the Consulate in Toronto, who told me that in order to renew a passport for the DR, you have to attend the Consulate in person. We're in Calgary, and they're in Toronto, so we have to fly all the way there to do the paperwork??? Ridiculous...

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
That was still their response after you told them you are in Alberta??

That doesn't seem like a very realistic system. They must have some sort of provision for people who are not local to the consulate.

Call back and ask again, maybe you will get a different answer. :p

If there is anyway I can help (since I am in Toronto) let me know Trina.
I'll be here until the end of July if there is anything I can do locally here.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Call back and ask again, maybe you will get a different answer. :p

I already did that, the same girl answered, so I did the mature thing and hung up. :cheeky:

According to her, my two options are to either drive 2200 miles (about 35 hours by mapquest calculation), or pay for 2 flights to go and come back on the same day, about $1300 cheapest on Westjet. Unbelievable. Angel lost his passport a few years back, and all was handled by mail. She says this has changed, and it has to be done in person. bleck.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Unbelievable, this is what it says on the website:

Passport Issuance Requirements
The solicitant must come in person and deposit the following:

Expired passport booklet.
Identity document with photograph (identity card, residency card, driver’s license etc.)
Two (2) front photographs; size 2” x 2” and with white background. Ears must be visible and without any type of earrings (on the ears or the face)
Passport payment in money order, certified cheque or in cash of USD 80.00.
Payment for delivery concept in money order, certified cheque or in cash of USD 35.00.
Marriage or Divorce Certificate for surnames changes (if applicable).
If the solicitant is a minor he/she must present a Birth Certificate and the identity card or passport of the father or mother.
If the solicit is for damage, loss or stolen, the solicitant must do an affidavit in the Consulate for an additional fee in money order, certified cheque or in cash of USD 40.00.

My God, what a mess. I have a copy of the passport of the father, and his original birth certificate. My Canadian guardianship papers say that I can legally obtain a passport for Angelo, but with my luck, we'll go there, and that won't be good enough. Could they make this any more difficult?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Is that info from the consulate in Toronto or the embassy in Ottawa? Not that in Ottawa they are very helpful (the woman must have sighed 20 times in the 20 minutes I was there when i went to get a work visa signed). But you could check it out, it doesnt make much sense. Good luck

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Is that info from the consulate in Toronto or the embassy in Ottawa? Not that in Ottawa they are very helpful (the woman must have sighed 20 times in the 20 minutes I was there when i went to get a work visa signed). But you could check it out, it doesnt make much sense. Good luck

I don't believe the Embassy handles passport requests, it is a Consular service. But it's worth looking into.
Thanks!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
That was still their response after you told them you are in Alberta??

Actually, their response was, "I don't know, if you live in Calgary, which would be closer for you, Toronto or Montreal, so I don't know which Consulate you'd like to visit". :ermm:

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Actually, their response was, "I don't know, if you live in Calgary, which would be closer for you, Toronto or Montreal, so I don't know which Consulate you'd like to visit". :ermm:

Wow....that's amazing that they know the country they live in so well...

How did they pass the exam to become actual citizens????

Once again...my offer still stands, if there is anything I can do here locally in Toronto to help you out, PLEASE let me know!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Wow....that's amazing that they know the country they live in so well...

How did they pass the exam to become actual citizens????

Once again...my offer still stands, if there is anything I can do here locally in Toronto to help you out, PLEASE let me know!

I think the people that work at the Dominican Consulate/Embassy in Canada are more than likely Dominican and not Canadian citizens. Much like our people in Haiti are not Haitian Citizens. ;)

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Well, AnnaC, Alicia, looks like I'm going to be in your neck of the woods on Thursday. Booked a flight for Angelo and I - Air Canada was cheaper than Westjet by about $400; really good seat sale at $949.90 inc taxes, round trip. My best friend Nadine is there right now on business, too, so she's going to pick us up at the airport and somehow we'll find the consulate!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Sorry I didn't get a chance to see you Anna. Angelo and I were dead tired, and didn't know how it would go at the Consulate; luckily, it actually went very well. I took in his documents, and although they listed the passport of a parent as a requisite, they didn't even ask for it. He turned in his old passport, a copy of his birth certificate, paid $115 USD, and we were told these passports are now sent to New York to be processed, and should be ready within 1-2 weeks.

I decided to try to talk to CIC (Citizenship Canada) again. I told them that I had a Court Order stating that I could make Angelo a citizen of Canada. They asked me several questions, and told me that in my situation, I should apply, surely Angelo would indeed qualify! That makes me very happy, so now to wait for the passport and send away the application. Hopefully all will go well, and in due time, Angelo will have his Citizenship!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks, Anna. I've found Immigration to be a bit of a game of chance, so we'll just hope for the best. I'm not going to count me chickens before they hatch! :)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Just an update that Angelo received his DR passport, about 3 weeks from the day that we went to Toronto. This process seems to have improved greatly. Apparently, they are now processed in New York and before, the passports were sent to the DR to process.

Reactions: AnnaC

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Good to know that some things have improved Trina. Angelo is now free to travel, that's great.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Last time I used the Dominican consulate, I went to Montreal. All my documents had to translated into Spanish by a friend of the female consul, who was somebody important's mistress. Bring lots of cash. NYC is better if you can get there.

You didn't get to post 16, hes had the passport since July now.

Just an update that Angelo received his DR passport, about 3 weeks from the day that we went to Toronto. This process seems to have improved greatly. Apparently, they are now processed in New York and before, the passports were sent to the DR to process.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Went to the DR consulate in Toronto to renew my mother-in-laws passport - $125 US plus a pre-paid envelope($9 Canadian - express post) Melania showed her Cedula and gave them her old passport. Yesterday she received her new passport plus old one back, and a Dominican ID Card. Very fast - must have gone to New York on Tuesday afternoon.